Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-29-2018, 09:50 PM   #16
baitball

Re: Advice on where to buy carbon barrels

Damn those are pricey too
baitball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #17
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1247.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	239521Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1249.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	239522

$60 for one from Juli. Wanted to get a sample before committing to a bulk order so I negotiated the $60 price. Skipped going through Alibaba. Went straight to the juli site from google search. Product and shipping is more expensive now with the whole trade war issues.

Manny Sub roller (best designed and performing roller on the market IMO), Pathos D’angelo 2 handle (because I had a spare!). Love this barrel design. And the fact I am in it for about $150 including shipping last winter it sure beats shop prices of $250 plus!! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E MALAMA I KE KAI
makoa352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
popgun pete

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1meter-H...8AAOSwLmlbT1Ja
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-20-met...EAAOSwBL5bRaVm
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #19
baitball

Nautilus spearfishing barrels are cheaper than those and they have an integrated rail.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #20
baitball

Makoa352 how long have you had that barrel how I s it holding up. With shipping it came out to 150?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:02 AM   #21
spearq8

A good option would be to just use the cheap Pathos aluminium barrel, then form a cuttle shape around the barrel from wood for added buoyancy ... glue them together and then put a carbon fiber sleeve over all that. The carbon fiber sleeve adds can be folded inside each end of the barrel and you need to use some sort of plug to keep the carbon fiber very tight on the inside of the barrel. The added dimensions of the carbon fiber adds to the inside of the barrel is minimal and can easily be absorbed by the O rings. This gives you a very cheap and very strong barrel ... that also looks great.

Of course most important of all is to make sure that your trigger works well. The Dangelo 1 plastic trigger is the best choice if you don't plan to upgrade your trigger and if you can live without a side line release... it also happens to be much cheaper. You can actually improve the action of the plastic trigger by removing it and polishing the surfaces and widening the gap where the trigger goes into a path cut out in the handle. This makes loading a shaft in and pulling the trigger much smoother. Of course best is to put a full heavy duty stainless steel DR trigger on there, but at the moment that is just way too much work. There is a drop in full DR trigger being made for the D1 trigger by Ermessub and should be coming out very soon ...that should be a very nice upgrade if you want to go for guns 100cm or longer.

One thing to note, with the Pathos, you really don't have to spend money on a carbon fiber barrel unless you plan to go with shafts heavier than 7mm and lengths more than 100cm. Just go for the cheaper aluminium barrel with the plastic trigger. Don't spend additional time and money on something that gives you zero improvement on performance. You are better off spending that time and money on modding the handle, changing the bands to small ID bands and getting good high quality shafts. That will get you a much bigger boost in accuracy and performance.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #22
baitball

Spearq8 how is the double roller trigger for the d2 handle? What kind of tools would I need to shape the wood for the pathos barrel.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #23
baitball

I've been talking to the guy at juli. One carbon 120cm cuttlefish design is 140 shipped. Or if we get 10 it would be 99.50 each. He said the id is 26.5 and the od is 32.1 from what it looks like thats with the inside of the rail which should line up with a d2 handle. I guess it would be 1mm larger on the outside of the barrel than the handle but I don't think that would look bad. The inside can be compensated with a thin sleeve I would think.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:42 AM   #24
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitball View Post
Spearq8 how is the double roller trigger for the d2 handle? What kind of tools would I need to shape the wood for the pathos barrel.

There is no double roller trigger for the D2 handle. There is a "floating roller" which is not the same, and I actually asked Mario to change the naming of that trigger on his website as I got a lot of angry people emailing me and telling me they bought that trigger because of the DR trigger review I put on my youtube channel. I think on the website it now says "floating roller" for that D2 trigger. In my testing the "floating roller" never rotated properly and thus the trigger will just work like a friction trigger. There is a ready design made to make a full double roller for the D2, but this will need a CNC machined sear ... which is extremely expensive to make. I still don't know if this will go through as the resultant cost of the trigger will be quite high. At the moment there is an effort to try and reduce the cost of making that sear ... if that happens then for sure it will be made. The problem with the D2 is that it only has 7mm of internal box space to work with, this requires a custom CNC machined sear to be able to maximize the space needed and allow a reasonable roller width.

Good news is that there will be a full DR trigger for the D1 handle. With the D1 you have 10mm of internal space inside the box ... so much easier to fit a full sized double roller in there. I also think the D1 handle is a much better fitting handle as it has about 11 or 12mm shorter palm to trigger distance ... thus allowing a very quick and easy mod of the handle. The DR trigger for the D1 will be a very very nice upgrade for the Pathos handled guns and should easily be able to handle even 140 pipes with 3 full power bands. I can't say this enough ... but a good trigger with a predictable breaking point is a game changer. Even the best designed gun will perform poorly if the trigger is not good.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #25
Marco

Imersion has some nice CF barrels.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #26
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Ermes floating roller did not pan out in my opinion. trigger pull is inconsistent. I put one in a 130 carbon laser with d2 handle and love the idea of it but it has had problems. Cost me a nice snapper the other day as i lined up and pulled the trigger and it just wouldnt fire. First time it has done that but it has had a fairly tough trigger pull for me in the past.

In all fairness I am using 2 small ID bands at 400% but the reason i bought the trigger is because I was hoping the design could handle that heavy load. I will either wait for the D1 version or try to mod the handle for a standard ermes DR trigger.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #27
baitball

So they got back to me again. It would be 85 each if I buy 2 and 56 dollars total shipping for the 120cm cuttlefish shape. Anyone interested in going in on it with me. And madj I will definitely be buying the d1 double roller when that comes out. How long before that comes out you think?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #28
svivian

Do you have a picture of the track that is on the barrels that you would be ordering. If so and it is what I want I would be interested.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #29
baitball

I can't send pictures on here
Pm me your number
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #30
baitball