Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Aaron Proffitt+

Out of here in 4 and a half hours ...

Hard to believe my year in Afghanistan is over . Been one hell of a quick year . Maybe should've posted this in the R & P section , but quite frankly , believe it or not ; on this issue I'm pretty apolitical for the most part . I understand that when I'm called, I go . That was part of the contract and the oath .

So that aside...

This country is absolutely gorgeous . You can't begin to imagine and I wouldn't know how to describe it . Look at my avatar for example. It's incredibly rugged, but the Hindu Kush mountains that greeted me every morning, the crystal clear mountain streams and lakes I flew over were amazing . Here around Kabul and Regional Command-East the weather was generally pleasant . Fall and spring especially. I found the weather extremes much more pronounced in Herat, Tarin Kowt , Mazir-i-Sharif and Kandahar . But thankfully, where I called home , was pretty mild for the most part .

The people - Afghans are fun to work with as long as you accept that you never trust them fully. It's easy to judge that aspect when you're family isn't in danger or hungry , and you never fully trust someone that is desperate. Many of them are very desperate. This may seem like an odd paradox, but in the same breath , they can also be very loyal . We call it "localized loyalty", as in loyal for here. For example , about 6 months ago a buddy and I were out for a walk around the "green zone " ( no such thing here ) and we passed through a check point manned by a contracted Afghan guard. He struck up a conversation about watches. He said it seemed like people were always asking him for the time , but he didn't have a watch and wanted a recommendation. Prior to this, I thought I had lost my good watch and had purchased a "cheapy" at the PX . I had found my good one , but was still wearing the cheapy. The man needed a watch so I gave him mine. Months later, I passed through that same ECP and you would've thought that I was the Dr. that had delivered his son. Took me an hour to clear that gate after tea and bread and bs'ing. About two months ago he was working a different one and as we started to go through it and into town , he stopped us and pleaded with us to leave by way of the Embassy instead . He was very adamant . He knew something .

I am bringing back with me a "Leatherman" tool that was made from a leafspring . I had heard that they'll do this and sure enough, I was hit up by one of them to borrow my issued one. I told him that I was accountable for it and he said " It's no problem. One week.". Four days later he brought mine back to me along with one he had made for me and one he had made for himself . It's a bit rougher and doesn't open as smooth but ,aside from that , it's a "Leatherman tool" . I once watched a guy machine an almost exact copy of an old, British Webley revolver in a roadside shop . It was meant to be a shooter. Respect.

They can aslo be cruel to a degree that is hard for us to imagine . It's a source of humor that is stomach churning . I have nothing further to add about that . Suffice is to say, Afghan culture and ours are so different . Never the two shall meet.

Worked with some great people . From the top down . I worked directly across from a Army full bird who pretty much gave free reign to do what ever I needed to do to get my tasks accomplished . If I needed to be somewhere , I went. No questions asked. I probably could've really abused that, but I do have somewhat of a moral compass . My fellow NCO's were all really great to work with and I'll miss my brothers.

I'm ready to go , though . It'll be 13.5 months since I left by the time I actually walk through my front door. My give a f**k meter is tapped out . So it's probably best that I handed my duties off and am off to begin my long journey home. It's going to take me about a month to actually get home with Warrior Transition in Germany and the de-mob site in the US . But , I'm ready to start the trip. In four more hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	387103_548227095201269_86558765_n.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	189762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130127-WA0003.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	189763  
Aaron Proffitt+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Re: Out of here in 4 and a half hours ...

Welcome home, Aaron! Thank you for your service!

Safe journey to you!

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Good news. Glad you are coming home safe and sound and thanks for the insight on the country. Maybe a couple if beers in Germany is order and some gawking at the local frau's
Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Aaron Proffitt+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
Good news. Glad you are coming home safe and sound and thanks for the insight on the country. Maybe a couple if beers in Germany is order and some gawking at the local frau's
It's as though you were reading my play book.
Aaron Proffitt+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
aresodin
Slinging

Thank you for sharing and safe travels.
aresodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Bubbafishing
You scared? Get a dog.

Hey Aaron;

Welcome home. Thanks for your service. Come visit when you are ready for some warm Florida sun and maybe a few fish...

Bubba
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly… who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause." ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Bubbafishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
toptuna

Welcome home. Thanks for your service. Too bad you couldnt fish any of the streams or lakes.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Run Forest....RUN!!!!

See you stateside buddy. Godspeed!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Welcome back ! Wonderful write up. Your eye for beauty and the best in things is still intact and that's gods greatest gift. I second Bubba, come vaca in south FL and you welcome to jump on the boat for a trip any weekend! Thanks for your service.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

DANG no more AFN commericals for you big guy! Welcome home!
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
mepps1

Glad you've made it out and are headed home! Got to be a great feeling for you and your family.

Put more into writing if you get a chance. Lots of us would love to hear more.

I think it's interesting.... I've heard from some people who were so repulsed by certain aspects of Afghan culture. I don't care to justify portions of it either, but frankly, some of the low points don't appear much different than the Greek culture back in the day.

It's hard to find people who can just say it as it is, without injecting a lot of emotion into it.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Thank you for your service Aaron!!!

I know your girls will be so happy to see you.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Decostanza

Welcome home and thank you for your service. Great write-up btw, appreciate you sharing that.
Decostanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Prater

Thank you for your service!!!
Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Thanks so much for serving our country, Aaron! Have a safe journey home.
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote