Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
pernicia

Dive Shop with Gear Service recommendation?

I'm tired of servicing my gear at Divers Direct in Dania. There used to be an old guy (Kenny is believe was his name) that retired and he was really good. The new guy has no clue. Serviced my 3 main regs to get them back freeflowing.

Took a perfectly working computer for battery replacement to be informed that the depth sensor is bad. Good thing I service my Suunto D9 and Transmitter on my own.

So, any shops is South Broward or North Dade county that have a really good, knowledgeable service technician???

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
quatin

Re: Dive Shop with Gear Service recommendation?

I'm in the same boat. I have all sorts of problems with Divers Direct Dania. I'm heading back today after just getting my regulators back from service, because the tech did not replace the o-rings in my octo regulator hose and there's an air leak when you push the reg towards the end adapter. My last tank VIP from them had broken o-rings, which I found out after getting to the Keys on a dive trip. The first time I went, the tech gave me a lecture about buying my Mares regulators from LeisurePro and supporting the LDS BS. Ironic in that Divers Direct is like the Walmart of dive shops. On top of that he told me LeisurePro was not an authorized dealer for Mares (LeisurePro is an authorized dealer) and I missed out on the parts for life program.

I've gotten my stuff serviced at Divers Cove. However, they don't have an authorized tech for Mares/Oceanic/ScubaPro and have a sub-contractor for service which picks up gear once a week.

Brownies Yacht Divers was the most professional shop I've gotten my stuff serviced.(regs, bcd, computer and tanks) However, they are very expensive. $70 an hour no matter what they're doing. The entire bill came down to $160+.

My buddies have recommended Force-E to me, which I may try next. They even loan you a set of rentals until your regs are done.
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
fishingmiami

scuba/spearfishing world, location Hialeah. Florida, the best out there, ask for Ulises he is the owner or any guy there, they are all excellent. Google spearfishingworld.com for the address...you wont regret it, also very reasonable prices. good luck hope this helps.
fishingmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
kwtony
Snorkel Master

^^^ X100000 I LOVE those guys there. Been using them for years. Great people for sure!!!

Plus they have a sense of humor too

Old 07-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
CraigC

Underseas Sports in Ft. Lauderdale.

http://www.underseasports.com/
Old 07-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
pernicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by quatin View Post
I'm in the same boat. I have all sorts of problems with Divers Direct Dania. I'm heading back today after just getting my regulators back from service, because the tech did not replace the o-rings in my octo regulator hose and there's an air leak when you push the reg towards the end adapter. My last tank VIP from them had broken o-rings, which I found out after getting to the Keys on a dive trip. The first time I went, the tech gave me a lecture about buying my Mares regulators from LeisurePro and supporting the LDS BS. Ironic in that Divers Direct is like the Walmart of dive shops. On top of that he told me LeisurePro was not an authorized dealer for Mares (LeisurePro is an authorized dealer) and I missed out on the parts for life program.

I've gotten my stuff serviced at Divers Cove. However, they don't have an authorized tech for Mares/Oceanic/ScubaPro and have a sub-contractor for service which picks up gear once a week.

Brownies Yacht Divers was the most professional shop I've gotten my stuff serviced.(regs, bcd, computer and tanks) However, they are very expensive. $70 an hour no matter what they're doing. The entire bill came down to $160+.

My buddies have recommended Force-E to me, which I may try next. They even loan you a set of rentals until your regs are done.
I would avoid Brownies at all cost, my buddy had a really bad experience there. Overcharged him almost the price of a reg to get it serviced.

I guess I will try Force-E... although is out of my way.

---Dive Safe---
Old 07-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
thed0zer

Since you said you service your d9, have you considered servicing your own regs? They're really simple devices once you learn how they work and you know how well the work is getting done if you're the one doing it. I didn't see what brand regs you have but you can get rebuild kits for some brands very easily.
thed0zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #8
pernicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thed0zer View Post
Since you said you service your d9, have you considered servicing your own regs? They're really simple devices once you learn how they work and you know how well the work is getting done if you're the one doing it. I didn't see what brand regs you have but you can get rebuild kits for some brands very easily.
I once thought about this, and read about it. Back then, it said that you need to buy a book to learn, and buy tools (not sure exactly what tools but something like $150). Do you have any info?

I'm really starting to think about it. Last year I paid almost $500 servicing gear.

Aqualung Legend ACD
Atomic B2
Atomic Z2
Atomic SS1 x 2

---Dive Safe---
Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #9
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Underseas Sports in Ft. Lauderdale.

http://www.underseasports.com/
Second that. They service everything.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #10
thed0zer

I have no idea how hard it would be to get parts kits for those regs but that would be the first thing i would look into. I have a closet full of Dive Rites and HOG's for exactly this reason. There are several places that I can buy parts kits over the internet with no questions asked.

Youtube has a bunch of videos on whats involved with rebuilding a reg so you have an idea how it goes. For a book I would go with regulator savvy by wolfinger or scuba regulator maintenance and repair from airspeed press. I think each should be less than $50.

There are only a few specific tools you would need depending on your reg. Basics are a intermediate pressure gauge, which I would recommend building yourself, a regulator holder, and a spanner wrench to take apart the first stage and some common hand tools. An ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight makes cleaning really easy. Dive gear express has a lot of what you would need.

Just remember, as much as they would tell you they do, the shops don't have a stash of magic pixie dust that they sprinkle on these regs to make them work. Anyone that is remotely mechanically inclined should be able to handle a rebuild as well or better than some of these shop monkeys do.
thed0zer is offline   Reply With Quote