Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 07-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
LeMonstier

friendly reminder, don't be a kook!

If you are diving without a float, and another diver approaches your area with a float, go away. You lost your privileges. It's that simple. It doesn't matter if your buddy is doing circles around you with a dive flag on the boat either. That is just stupid. And if you are trying to spear a striped bass without a float line and float off the tip of a jetty, you are a kook.

Don't be a kook

ok cool.
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Burnz
People for Kaboat

Re: friendly reminder, don't be a kook!

Burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
Dmill

First off if I decide to do a quick dive via boat and a flag is off the boat and my driver is right there drifting with me and a dude from Philly decides to hop in or swim in by where I was diving / drifting and told me I lost privlidges I'd tell them to go back to Philly.... Most guys who do quick in and out boat drops Kno what they are doing and get what they want to eat in a few mins and get out. Esp with how clear it's been... Its shooting fish in a barrel.. common sense which most people lack these days would tell you to spread out.. so spread out.... No need to be diving next to another spearo. Esp in current. .. if there is no current then go elsewhere or keep distance..
Dmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Dmill

Common sense is to unband/ unload gun when walking down the rocks to do another drift. Yes even if you have a safety you would think it's a no-brainer to deband. But some lack that part of the brain
Old 07-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
Dmill

Maybe a sticky or a topic should be started. Diving respect, courtesies, and safety 101. . And all these pointers laid out. As obvious as they may seem to some . Others may not .. like the don't hop in right in front of a guy fishing. If you are gonna drift past a guy fishing ask if it's ok to stay out past him. And drift by... If he has a problem get out, walk around and continue on.. if a ton of guys are fishing maybe it's not the best day to dive in the mix. Try and go super early. Try a weekday if possible. Avoid July weekends.. give yourself a buffer size limit minimum. A bass that's iffy 28 inches pass up.. wait till it's a deff keeper.. there's just at few I see alot of other spearos not doing. Which I would think is common sense
Old 07-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
spear kook

Good stuff laid out right there. It's a mess out there these days. If I see another diver, I give him 35 yards. If someone does not give me same respect theres going to be problems.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
LeMonstier

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear kook View Post
Good stuff laid out right there. It's a mess out there these days. If I see another diver, I give him 35 yards. If someone does not give me same respect theres going to be problems.
Just for the record, I realize "Spear Kook" is not the type of kook I'm talking about. I'm talking about real kooks who need to be schooled. If anyone has a problem with knowing where other divers are when they are diving, they need to get a fishing rod and stay out of the water.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #8
LeMonstier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
First off if I decide to do a quick dive via boat and a flag is off the boat and my driver is right there drifting with me and a dude from Philly decides to hop in or swim in by where I was diving / drifting and told me I lost privlidges I'd tell them to go back to Philly.... Most guys who do quick in and out boat drops Kno what they are doing and get what they want to eat in a few mins and get out. Esp with how clear it's been... Its shooting fish in a barrel.. common sense which most people lack these days would tell you to spread out.. so spread out.... No need to be diving next to another spearo. Esp in current. .. if there is no current then go elsewhere or keep distance..
Like it matters if I live in Philly now? I've been diving the jetty I'm talking about since 1977 and I know how to be safe and so does my friend I was looking out for who is active military with privileges to the parking lot next to the jetty I'm talking about
Old 07-21-2019, 12:17 AM   #9
basstomouth
David

Nothing wrong with diving with a boat w/ dive flag regardless of location. That allows other boats to know they need to keep their distance, and typically 25-50ft from boat is within reason, try a hundred in the ocean. Why in the world would anyone complain about having one less float line to worry about when diving a jetty? Dive etiquette must be different in Philly lol. Imagine someone saying a float is required to shoot 20lb bass when people are shooting 50 lb bass with none other than a reel elsewhere.... Really amazing how upset people can get just cause someone’s getting in their diving safe zone haha
Old 07-21-2019, 12:19 AM   #10
basstomouth
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
^and yes I agree, nobody spends more than 20-30 mins on a jetty with a boat, typically a backup when the real trip doesn’t go well.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
Dberry78

When you dive a popular NJ jetty dropping a guy off with no flag and doing laps is unacceptable and illegal. By law you are to surface within 25 foot of a flag. Common sense dictates in a popular dive spot have a flag so you can comply with both NJ state refs and common sense safety.

I do not care if you “often just drop a guy off real quick so it’s ok.”
Dberry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
NJ_Trident

Wherein I do enjoy the banter back and forth, I feel as though those who are diving will continue to do whatever it is that they have been doing, scuba and freediver Alike (as its often that a scuba guy will throw their bouy/flag where they enter the water but not tow it with them)

If a friend is trying to get their friend involved in the sport, you might see multiple people diving to one float. Whereas most of us would disagree, they may be doing it as a test to see if their friend actually likes it before they invest money in a suit, gun and all of the gear that goes with it. Sure they should
Try diving somewhere easier like a back bay, but you can’t teach common sense.

Fact is. No matter what we post to a forum - it doesn’t mean sh*t since most people nowadays believe their point of view is right. An idle threat isn’t the solution - you’re not going to shoot someone or knife em. So let’s be real.

The most we can ask is to know your surroundings, abide by the laws governing our sport, and be courteous to those in the water and out. If you see someone doing the wrong thing, mention it. Perhaps they didn’t know. Otherwise they were ignorant to the safety. But make it know regardless.

Good luck and happy hunting. It’s been a fun year, though crowded.
NJ_Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
Orbayburak

Personally i hate seeing people diving next to me w no float. Having a flag on the boat or a stationary flag thats far from you doesnt help at all. I like to know where the divers are at all times. Couple weeks ago i had a diver approach me with gun pointing while i was under water between rocks waiting for fish to pass by. Never saw the guy on top and his buddy w the flag was far away. Its a scary feeling when you see a loaded gun pointing at you. Also had a similar situation with a scuba guy few years ago, I was under waiting again and saw a huge silver fish coming towards me, I aimed the gun ready to shoot then realized it was his silver bubble tank on him. He had a stationary flag on the other side of the jetty. If youre diving a popular jetty or the inlets you should have your marker at all times.
Orbayburak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMonstier View Post
If you are diving without a float, and another diver approaches your area with a float, go away. You lost your privileges. It's that simple. It doesn't matter if your buddy is doing circles around you with a dive flag on the boat either. That is just stupid. And if you are trying to spear a striped bass without a float line and float off the tip of a jetty, you are a kook.

Don't be a kook

ok cool.
Not just a kook, you're a hazard. I had someone almost run my float over saturday and i was well within what i consider a safe distance from the jetty. where he almost hit my float i would have been diving and i might have died.

**** those morons on boats with no awareness. Most dangerous thing in the water.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #15
Pelagics1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbayburak View Post
Personally i hate seeing people diving next to me w no float. Having a flag on the boat or a stationary flag thats far from you doesnt help at all. I like to know where the divers are at all times. Couple weeks ago i had a diver approach me with gun pointing while i was under water between rocks waiting for fish to pass by. Never saw the guy on top and his buddy w the flag was far away. Its a scary feeling when you see a loaded gun pointing at you. Also had a similar situation with a scuba guy few years ago, I was under waiting again and saw a huge silver fish coming towards me, I aimed the gun ready to shoot then realized it was his silver bubble tank on him. He had a stationary flag on the other side of the jetty. If youre diving a popular jetty or the inlets you should have your marker at all times.
Thats scary. I agree, Floats and flags are a must in the inlets, and even useful when diving from boats when others are around. I wonder what would have happened if that spear shaft hit the tank lol. Maybe something like that last scene from Jaws?
Pelagics1988 is offline   Reply With Quote