Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Broken Carbons

Just seeing if anybody in the dive community has had the Pathos carbons break on them in this same spot. They both broke during entry through 1ft surf with moderate surge, not conditions I would expect to break semi expensive fins. Broke two blades in a row in this same spot on the fin.

That being said, what fins do you guys like for the money? Haven't stayed up to date on the newer fins on the market lately. Almost leaning towards fiberglass this time since I shore dive about 50% of the time and they seem tougher, plus money is tight...

Thanks folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	234481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	234482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	234483  
Old 07-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
AJP
Reluctant User

Re: Broken Carbons

Medium DiveR fiberglass.

I've beat the shit out of mine on shoredives. Its all mine friends use as well. Never heard of anyone breaking them.

It should be an easy decision for you.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
divenfish

I have a couple pairs of fiberglass fins and found them quite durable. I have a pair of Makos in 12-13 footpockets, wide blades, i consider parting with, since i hardly use them. I prefer my Leaderfins, probably cause i'm used to them, they are are close to 10 yrs old and still work great, for me. Makos are medium stiffness WIDE blades (see pix #2 side by side with a standard width blade), very lightly used, brown/green camo, kelp catcher fin cut off. Price is $125 + shipping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Mako_FG_back.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	234484   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Mako_FG_back_comp.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	234485   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Mako_FG_Frnt.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	234486   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Mako_FG_Pkt_sz.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	234487   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Mako_FG_pky_tab_cut.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	234488  

divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_Lovin' View Post
Just seeing if anybody in the dive community has had the Pathos carbons break on them in this same spot. They both broke during entry through 1ft surf with moderate surge, not conditions I would expect to break semi expensive fins. Broke two blades in a row in this same spot on the fin.

That being said, what fins do you guys like for the money? Haven't stayed up to date on the newer fins on the market lately. Almost leaning towards fiberglass this time since I shore dive about 50% of the time and they seem tougher, plus money is tight...

Thanks folks.
Since you are doing a lot of beach dives, I will ask a philosophical question: How deep are you diving, and what fin do you need, rather than what did you buy?
I get like 2 years of good performance out of my Cressi Gara 2000HF; they usually are decent for like 4 years, and I have yet to break one thru and thru. Eventually, the rails crack and they show stress bleaching, but I use the older ones for bug diving and the newer ones for my deeper stuff.

Relatively inexpensive, super comfortable, and durable as hell.

.................. And they ave taken me to 128+ft in the not so distant past, so yeah, they can do the deeper stuff pretty decent. Now that I am fat and old, I cut my stuff off around 80.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
SpankTheTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
Since you are doing a lot of beach dives, I will ask a philosophical question: How deep are you diving, and what fin do you need, rather than what did you buy?
I get like 2 years of good performance out of my Cressi Gara 2000HF; they usually are decent for like 4 years, and I have yet to break one thru and thru. Eventually, the rails crack and they show stress bleaching, but I use the older ones for bug diving and the newer ones for my deeper stuff.

Relatively inexpensive, super comfortable, and durable as hell.

.................. And they ave taken me to 128+ft in the not so distant past, so yeah, they can do the deeper stuff pretty decent. Now that I am fat and old, I cut my stuff off around 80.
You're an animal!
How did you train to dive so deep? Just with time and by diving, or do you do cardio and do breathing exercises? Thanks
SpankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
growingupninja
Lance

If both your carbons broke like that I would suspect it was bad batch.

Neptonics has Spearmaster fiberglass fins with footpockets for $200. I did some pool testing with them, at half the price they performed impressively against my carbon fins (Bluetec Blade with Pathos pockets). I'm pretty picky about my fins but at that price you can't go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankTheTank View Post
You're an animal!
How did you train to dive so deep? Just with time and by diving, or do you do cardio and do breathing exercises? Thanks
I don't dive deep- Lance dived DEEP!!! (Growingupninja)

It takes time to get really proficient in deeper diving. You HAVE to have a partner, or partners who are very capable working with you. For safety, and confidence.

General cardio exercises help, and lots of diving is key, but as well you need to put pieces of it all together.

TBH, you can just get a class where they tell you they will get you to 100ft, and they......... will get you to a hundred feet. But the thing is, it's under very controlled conditions. It's nowhere near the same as towing a gun down there and back up. It's not stopping to smell the flowers down there, it's down, hit the mark, then back up.

To really get the deeper diving, you have to have a few things on your side: The ears and sinuses have to be compatible with it. Training all aspects will take some time. You have to develop yourself into it, or you are doing it on a wing and a prayer, and if anything happens, it's pretty much lights out.

I throw this out there when the conversation of fins comes up, because truthfully, unless you are diving super heavy currents, or deep diving, you can do the exact same dives and have the same experiences for like $200 less per pair of fins, and never miss a beat.

Several years back, the record for constant weight was set using the same Cressi fins, and that crazy MF'er went beyond 300ft. Obviously, a guy on another planet altogether from any of us, but it's a testament to the reality that less expensive, less exotic fins do a very good job.

And if anyone tells you "Well, you will need the carbons if you have to punch a super deep dive....." Ask yourself 'What dive would this be?'

Freeing up an anchor? I'll ride another weight belt on a rope to get there. To free up a stuck or tangled fish at 80ft? Again, ride a boat anchor or weight belt to assure you won't spend any extra energy on the way down. BTW...... the pressure you are not used to will come crushing down on you once you get past 70, and it does not let up, so all ideas of superhuman dive feats goes out the window rather quickly......... this is the biggest thing you need to work yourself up to being able to handle.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
NORCAL BOY
Grumpy old diver!

Used & abused these Mako fg fins for almost 4 years. NORCAL beach & shore dives with zero issues. Foot pockets are comfy & holding up great. Able to easily swap out blades if needed. Sure, fg is heavier but works great for what I need. Good luck. Thx. T
http://www.makospearguns.com/Competi...mcffgf-grn.htm
NORCAL BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, I'm bummed about breaking them, but it's always kind of fun trying out new gear. Definitely going to look into the DiveR fins. Hear about them for years. Would love to fondle some soon. Those makos are super tough. My bro has has his for years and loves them. Decisions decisions.

Paul, as for the diving I do. I do it all, other than really really deep dives. I have a 80ft cap at this point in my dive career. I need something that's soft enough for sneaky seabass lurking and also something firm enough to battle heavy current for yellows. And tough enough to handle shallow bug dives.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
SBHatter
aboatnamedgenesis

Blue Tuna has some pretty nice camo carbon fins at like 260 or thereabouts. I got a pair at the beginning of this season and love them.

Bonus: looks like they're on special right now.
http://bluetunaspearfishing.com/bts-...ness-fins.html
SBHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
Bob Ballew

You can break any fins made if they go under the edge of rocks and you torque them when a swell hits you. I broke both fins at 60' freeing up an anchor for the Liberty, simply by pushing against boulders to get more leverage....the ribs just aren't made for excessive side torque on any fin I have tried...personally, I have never liked carbon fins for the fact many make a tin roof popping sound when flexed quickly..it spooks fish that my standard fins do not...plus I can buy two sets for the price of one carbon set...but, everyone knows I am a cheap bastard dinosaur....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 07-25-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #12
batt

Buy yourself $5 of carbon cloth and some epoxy 2 part resin at "Tap Plastic" and fix them for $25 and have enough left over to fix your friends too. Hardest part is getting them out of the foot pocket.

Last edited by batt; 07-24-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: adding comment
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #13
Seymour

Quote:
Originally Posted by batt View Post
Buy yourself $5 of carbon cloth and some epoxy 2 part resin at "Tap Plastic" and fix them for $25 and have enough left over to fix your friends too. Hardest part is getting them out of the foot pocket.
putting carbon cloth over a broken fin is just a bandaid
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
batt

Works
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
Big_Berg

Karl if you get the carbon cloth and resin, I can give you a hand. I've played around with that and fiber glass a bit and can probably get them blades functional for ya.
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote