Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
musubi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Big Island
Posts: 194
Garmin MK2

Stumbled upon this find on the upcoming MK2. It's not officially on Neptonics' site, but it looks like they're preparing the release of the next generation model.
I've always been interested in picking the MK1 up for it's ability to mark spots on the fly.
Are any of you out there using this watch?


Garmin Descent Mk2 & Mk2i Dive Computers

Explore both of your worlds, underwater and topside, with Descentô Mk2, & Mk2i the watch-sized dive computer. Track your breath and depth with Descentô multiple dive modes, an underwater compass and surface GPS capabilities, it doubles as a premium multisport smartwatch when youíre on land.

The Mk2i features SubWaveô sonar technology for integrated tank pressure monitoring on up to 5 tanks when paired with the Descentô T1 transmitter (Additional equipment (sold separately).

MK2
Explore both of your worlds, underwater and topside, with Descentô Mk2, the watch-sized dive computer. It features multiple dive modes, such as single and multiple gas dives, gauge, apnea, apnea hunt and closed-circuit rebreather. Descent Mk2 comes with ABC sensors with an underwater 3-axis compass as well as surface GPS capabilities to mark your entry and exit points(GPS tracking does not work underwater).On land, Descent Mk2 doubles as a premium multisport GPS smartwatch with multi-GNSS support, multiple sports apps, wrist-based heart rate monitoringestimates, Pulse Ox(this is not a medical device and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or monitoring of any medical condition)sensor, advanced training features, Garmin Payô payment service(not all countries and payment networks are eligible), music storage, smart notifications(when paired with a compatible smartphone)for calls, texts and calendar alerts and more.

MK2i
Track your breath and depth with Descentô Mk2i, the watch-sized dive computer. It features SubWaveô sonar technology for integrated tank pressure monitoring on up to 5 tanks when paired with the Descentô T1 transmitter(Additional equipment (sold separately) and device pairing required), making it ideal for instructors or group dives. Descent Mk2i comes with ABC sensors with an underwater 3-axis compass as well as surface GPS capabilities to mark your entryand exit points(GPS tracking does not work underwater). On land, Descent Mk2i doubles as a premium multisport GPS smartwatch with multi-GNSS support, multiple sports apps, wrist-based heart rate monitoringestimates, Pulse Ox(this is not a medical device and is not intended for use in the diagnosis or monitoring of any medical condition)sensor, advanced training features, Garmin Payô payment service(not all countries and payment networks are eligible), music storage, smart notifications(when paired with a compatible smartphone)for calls, texts and calendar alerts and more.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
svivian
Registered User
 
svivian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Garmin MK2

I have the MK1 what would you like to know?
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
musubi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Big Island
Posts: 194
Re: Garmin MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
I have the MK1 what would you like to know?
Awesome!
The main interest for me in the Garmin Descent is the ability to GPS mark (at the surface of course) as you're diving. Do you use this feature and, if so, how simple has this been for you?
Do you typically use the watch as a diving watch only or as an everyday watch?
Do you monitor your heart rate in the water?

The new MK2 also appears to have Pulse Ox, which would really just satisfy my curiosity on what my oxygen levels are when I dive (if that's even possible on my dives). If it reads in the water then I'd be interested in comparing my typical surface times with the O2 levels to see if I'm resting enough or not.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #4
PigStikr
The Stalker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 595
Re: Garmin MK2

I'll never, ever buy anything garmin again unless needed for some compatibility issues. I am on the second nuvi for car nav. The first one broke becuz the USB connector on the back goes to 3 pins soldered directly to the circuit board. After a bit, riding on the dash of the car, the solder joint broke. My kid jury-rigged a LiPo charger that I connected straight to the battery thru holes in the back to charge. Won't upload maps, of course. Second unit developed a condition where it sez 'charged' but as soon as it is unplugged from power the battery dies. Both have 1Hz GPS updates, so your speed reading lags big time. Also, they don't even have WAAS so your position is sucky.
Then there are the nav algorithms. Last weekend I set a waypoint on a dirt road. Attempting to return for a hunt before dawn, wound up at the state border before realizing it had taken me 40 miles down the wrong leg of a Y in the highway. Thus 80 miles to get back to the turnoff to the dirt road, and it didn't even recognize the dirt road - called it 'off-road' and calclated 2 hours of walking to get there - having just updated the maps. I have an old laptop with XP era microsuck map-point on it that had all those roads. It worked great in AK for logging roads too.
This wasn't the first or worst nav error by any stretch, nearly costing missed flights twice.
I just can't imagine ever depending on something garmin for a system that is used for life-support type functions such as oxy levels, dive times etc.
Aside from that, a gauge on a hose is gonna give you the pressure in your tank. A system that can read 5 tanks might give you the tank pressure in 'your' tank that your buddy happened to put on.
So my last fishfinder purchase was lowrance instead of garmin with a 10 Hz GPS and WAAS as well as DGPS capabilities, lake bottom topo, 3D lake bottom imaging add-on (sidescan sonar), video in, topography generation, etc. Runs at full planing speed, just need to be careful about mounting the Xducer.
__________________
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 955
Garmin MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
I have the MK1 what would you like to know?


Iíll chime in with a question; Iíve seen a few of these at my friendís freedive school and often I see them plugged in and charging. I wonder if battery life is an issue?

(Musubi, the freedive shop closed down months ago but I can try to track down one of the Garmin owners if you need it)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 10-09-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 955
Garmin MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
I'll never, ever buy anything garmin again unless needed for some compatibility issues. I am on the second nuvi for car nav. The first one broke becuz the USB connector on the back goes to 3 pins soldered directly to the circuit board. After a bit, riding on the dash of the car, the solder joint broke. My kid jury-rigged a LiPo charger that I connected straight to the battery thru holes in the back to charge. Won't upload maps, of course. Second unit developed a condition where it sez 'charged' but as soon as it is unplugged from power the battery dies. Both have 1Hz GPS updates, so your speed reading lags big time. Also, they don't even have WAAS so your position is sucky.
Then there are the nav algorithms. Last weekend I set a waypoint on a dirt road. Attempting to return for a hunt before dawn, wound up at the state border before realizing it had taken me 40 miles down the wrong leg of a Y in the highway. Thus 80 miles to get back to the turnoff to the dirt road, and it didn't even recognize the dirt road - called it 'off-road' and calclated 2 hours of walking to get there - having just updated the maps. I have an old laptop with XP era microsuck map-point on it that had all those roads. It worked great in AK for logging roads too.
This wasn't the first or worst nav error by any stretch, nearly costing missed flights twice.
I just can't imagine ever depending on something garmin for a system that is used for life-support type functions such as oxy levels, dive times etc.
Aside from that, a gauge on a hose is gonna give you the pressure in your tank. A system that can read 5 tanks might give you the tank pressure in 'your' tank that your buddy happened to put on.
So my last fishfinder purchase was lowrance instead of garmin with a 10 Hz GPS and WAAS as well as DGPS capabilities, lake bottom topo, 3D lake bottom imaging add-on (sidescan sonar), video in, topography generation, etc. Runs at full planing speed, just need to be careful about mounting the Xducer.


Itís kinda funny cuz Iíve spent weeks or rather months researching fish finders and for the entry/medium level ones Iím looking at, Iíve seen quite a lot of reviewers saying they donít trusts their Lowrances and how they feel Garmin locks in on GPS faster and they put it down to Garmin having done GPS for longer. Whether they are right I donít know. Everyone is an expert in the age of YouTube (or for sale or both).

What I do (think) I know is that Musibi is freedive spearfishing so the life support features of a dive computer are not really that at all. (Whether he does some recreational scuba I donít know, but personally I would just want an analogue gauge for scuba - even if I had a computer that could be hooked up to a transmitter).

He basically just asked how well the GPS function of that particular product functions.

[EDIT] My bad, I just read his second post again and he does talk about checking his O2 levels as a means of judging if heís ready to dive again or resting enough. Iíd be wary of using it like that, though.
Even though itís been ages since Iíve done dry tables with an oxymeter I feel like I remember jumping back up to normal O2 saturation (98-99%) very fast after a breathhold. Maybe as fast as a few inhalations, definitely within 30 secs. In which case using it to judge it youíre ready to dive again would not be safe.
Also, Iíd be wary of how well it could pick up a reading on a wrist. Iíve tried quite a few finger mounted ones and they can read slightly different between the brands and some are a little bit picky of how they are mounted.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 10-09-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
svivian
Registered User
 
svivian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Garmin MK2

First off I love the watch. Not only does it look really nice but it’s great to have for your everyday smart watch. In this mode the battery will last about 14 days. In terms of diving I like the options and customization. For Spearfishing it logs every dive and gives me my average surface interval and bottom time for each dive as well as the entire dive session. For marking spots you can simply raise the watch out of the water and press the top right button to mark the spot. You can also customize the waypoint with an icon. The other option is simply just raising the watch out of the water. I prefer this as it marks the spot as well as provides information about the last dive such as depth, water temp, time, date, bottom interval and surface interval. This allows me to document spots during certain times of years and conditions. I will say though if you are trying to mark a very particular reef or hole etc.. it’s not going to be dead nuts but will get you in the general area to find it. I also like how it sends all the data to my phone. I can view my dives and marked spots on a satellite image of the lake or ocean I was diving. As for heart rate I don’t really pay attention to it. It does track it but is only useful if it’s next to your skin which it’s not when I dive. Battery will not last 14 days when you dive... more like 3 To 4 days Diving 8hrs a day but that is fine because I charge it every night I go diving. My old watch lasted much longer but when the battery dies it’s dead and it’s not easy to replace. For context I used a sunnto d4i previously. I will try to post pics of different screens later.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
musubi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Big Island
Posts: 194
Re: Garmin MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Iíll chime in with a question; Iíve seen a few of these at my friendís freedive school and often I see them plugged in and charging. I wonder if battery life is an issue?

(Musubi, the freedive shop closed down months ago but I can try to track down one of the Garmin owners if you need it)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Diving Gecko. No need to contact anyone. I have no deep questions or concerns just yet. Thank you for the offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Itís kinda funny cuz Iíve spent weeks or rather months researching fish finders and for the entry/medium level ones Iím looking at, Iíve seen quite a lot of reviewers saying they donít trusts their Lowrances and how they feel Garmin locks in on GPS faster and they put it down to Garmin having done GPS for longer. Whether they are right I donít know. Everyone is an expert in the age of YouTube (or for sale or both).

What I do (think) I know is that Musibi is freedive spearfishing so the life support features of a dive computer are not really that at all. (Whether he does some recreational scuba I donít know, but personally I would just want an analogue gauge for scuba - even if I had a computer that could be hooked up to a transmitter).

He basically just asked how well the GPS function of that particular product functions.

[EDIT] My bad, I just read his second post again and he does talk about checking his O2 levels as a means of judging if heís ready to dive again or resting enough. Iíd be wary of using it like that, though.
Even though itís been ages since Iíve done dry tables with an oxymeter I feel like I remember jumping back up to normal O2 saturation (98-99%) very fast after a breathhold. Maybe as fast as a few inhalations, definitely within 30 secs. In which case using it to judge it youíre ready to dive again would not be safe.
Also, Iíd be wary of how well it could pick up a reading on a wrist. Iíve tried quite a few finger mounted ones and they can read slightly different between the brands and some are a little bit picky of how they are mounted.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, I'm just freediving, no scuba. Thanks for your feedback on your experience with your O2 readings after a breath hold. Recovering that fast would be too good to be true and definitely wouldn't do another long drop after only 30 seconds.

Heart rate readings from my Apple watch when I swim is fairly poor, even when it's tight on my wrist. Somehow readings from the wrist just aren't as accurate. I have a chest monitor and another Polar brand monitor that takes readings from my temple and these do amazingly well at reading my heart rate. O2 readings from the wrist I imagine would be similar to heart rate readings.

For now I'm just keeping an eye on this since I do like the overall features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
First off I love the watch. Not only does it look really nice but itís great to have for your everyday smart watch. In this mode the battery will last about 14 days. In terms of diving I like the options and customization. For Spearfishing it logs every dive and gives me my average surface interval and bottom time for each dive as well as the entire dive session. For marking spots you can simply raise the watch out of the water and press the top right button to mark the spot. You can also customize the waypoint with an icon. The other option is simply just raising the watch out of the water. I prefer this as it marks the spot as well as provides information about the last dive such as depth, water temp, time, date, bottom interval and surface interval. This allows me to document spots during certain times of years and conditions. I will say though if you are trying to mark a very particular reef or hole etc.. itís not going to be dead nuts but will get you in the general area to find it. I also like how it sends all the data to my phone. I can view my dives and marked spots on a satellite image of the lake or ocean I was diving. As for heart rate I donít really pay attention to it. It does track it but is only useful if itís next to your skin which itís not when I dive. Battery will not last 14 days when you dive... more like 3 To 4 days Diving 8hrs a day but that is fine because I charge it every night I go diving. My old watch lasted much longer but when the battery dies itís dead and itís not easy to replace. For context I used a sunnto d4i previously. I will try to post pics of different screens later.
Thanks!!
14 days!? That's miles beyond my Apple watch, granted not a diving watch, but still a smart watch.
Structures I would like to mark are usually large and would be easy for me to find if I was in the general area, so something like this would be nice.

I'm currently using the Oceanic F10 which works well and gives me my basic info. Although I do wish the depth alarm beeps were louder like with the Suunto's. Having a watch connect to my phone would be great and I think I'd have fun tracking my dives. I read about the Suunto battery changes and not being easy to replace.

Thanks, I wouldn't mind seeing pictures if you find the time to post them. Do you use the watch everyday as your smartwatch?
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 955
Garmin MK2

Great feedback on the Garmin.

As for the Suunto series of D4s in their various guises - batteries are actually very easy to change by the user. Suunto just donít advise it. Partly I guess cuz their service centers make a lot of money doing changes. So, itís kinda frowned upon.
But given that they only last about a year if you dive a lot and that you, depending on where you live, might have to send it off and that many dealers charge a small fortune, a lot it us have changed batteries ourselves for years.

I have changed mine about 4-5 times and two of my friends, too. And Iím actually still on the original o-ring in my own gen 1 D4 (though that one is out of service right now due to the button springs breaking after about ten years).
You need to do it in a dry room (run air con) and keep attention to keeping the o-ring and seat clean. Then you can do it. Only thing is that Suunto changed from normal Philips head screws to, I think, Torx in later years. Still, get the right screwdriver and itís a 5-10min job.
Also, I think thereís one cell that doesnít quite fit in. Itís the Duracell or Sony, can never remember. The Renata should be a great fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 10-14-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
svivian
Registered User
 
svivian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Garmin MK2

I use my watch every day as it tracks everything. Sleep, steps, heart rate, calories burned etc.. and I work at a place where I need a watch for dates and times for logs. I am actually diving all weekend so when I get back I will post pics.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #11
musubi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Big Island
Posts: 194
Re: Garmin MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Great feedback on the Garmin.

As for the Suunto series of D4s in their various guises - batteries are actually very easy to change by the user. Suunto just doesnít advise it. Partly I guess cuz their service centers make a lot of money doing changes. So, itís kinda frowned upon.
But given that they only last about a year if you dive a lot and that you, depending on where you live, might have to sent it off and that many dealers charge a small fortune, a lot it us have changed batteries ourselves for years.

I have changed mine about 4-5 times and two of my friends, too. And Iím actually still on the original o-ring in my own gen 1 D4 (though that one is out of service right now due to the button springs breaking after about ten years).
You need to do it in a dry room (run air con) and keep attention to keeping the o-ring and seat clean. Then you can do it. Only thing is that Suunto changed from normal Philips head screws to, I think, Torx in later years. Still, get the right screwdriver and itís a 5-10min job.
Also, I think thereís one cell that doesnít quite fit in. Itís the Duracell or Sony, can never remember. The Renata should be a great fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info on the battery change. Sounds very similar to battery change on my F10. It has about a one year life span using the watch for diving once a week.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #12
svivian
Registered User
 
svivian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Garmin MK2

Here are some pics from the app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7A80B70-34CD-475E-8ECC-FABCC1AB7730.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	246153   Click image for larger version

Name:	06C2573E-D4EB-4EDE-AF04-493C5713AEE2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	246154   Click image for larger version

Name:	C37AAB50-8BBF-43D4-9522-9F9D8E102162.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	246155   Click image for larger version

Name:	066DA4D9-FEDE-40D0-8D17-F6859B5A7586.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	246156   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA4BD3EA-33A7-4D87-8E0B-03020E3E23E0.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	246157  

Click image for larger version

Name:	364632A1-7377-4EE9-8798-018E8CA19298.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	246158   Click image for larger version

Name:	99F0DEE8-698A-4F35-B20B-7209F8F0FE18.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	246159   Click image for larger version

Name:	11D048C0-1BD4-4A29-ADCA-270E45866AF7.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	246160  
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
svivian
Registered User
 
svivian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Garmin MK2

I also forgot to mention you can add widgets that monitor things like weather, tide, wind, sun and moon etc...
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:55 PM   #14
musubi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Big Island
Posts: 194
Re: Garmin MK2

Thanks svivian for sharing those!
All that's great info that I'd like to track during my dives. Did you select the water type and weather?
Either way, seems like a good way to track conditions with your dive. Something I've been trying to do manually. Successful dive over the weekend?
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #15
svivian
Registered User
 
svivian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Garmin MK2

Yes you can select the type of diving and conditions like fresh or salt water. Those screenshots are from several different trips where Iíve dove either a little or a whole day. Then the watch gathers the water and air temps during the day and tracks it. Yes overall it was a good trip and got to take some new divers out for their first time. Found some fish in 40-60ft of water but was a little more then they could do. They had a good time shooting carp in the shallows. I also forgot to attach this photo that shows each individual dive, on the left is bottom time and the right surface interval.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8842AD65-832D-4D53-951D-264998982035.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	246162  
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com