Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
dirkbeachman
james dean

Azores

Just back from a wonderful trip to the Azores. I had a hard time finding out spearing info before I went so if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me. I was there 10 days and got out on two days drifting for yellowfin, but not a single one spotted. Heaps of barracuda and other smaller tunas, but no big boys. Two things I did learn 1) Go as late as you can, like end of August or September and 2) Pick just a couple of islands and you'll have better odds of getting out in boats. (Each island transfer day ends up being a day you won't get out in a boat and there are some days of hellacious winds also-unpredictable).

Two weeks ago, I heard over and over that the water wasn't warm enough. You are then hoping to find warm currents, although I heard yellowfin were being caught two days by hook I heard on one island. Also by going at the end of the tourist season, you have much better odds getting a boat interested in taking out spearos. Right now, captains are trying to max their earnings running whale watching, dolphin cruises, shoreline cruises or whatever, but they all hold more paying passengers.

Fabulous islands, super friendly people, just a really nice destination!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ut_azores_tunas.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	208988   Click image for larger version

Name:	ut_20140714_SB_sm.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	208989  
dirkbeachman is offline   Reply With Quote