Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #46
SoCalH2O

Re: What do you guys do?

Emergency Medical Technician. Good job. also a Volunteer Firefighter. Better job.
SoCalH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #47
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Definitely get a degree In something worth while. I doesn't matter if you get a government job with great insurance and a great pension. If you get injured there is no job security and no benefits. Having that degree will get you merit increases and save your but if you ever get injured.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #48
Everdai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert033 View Post
Ive considered Navy but im not sure I want to be a sailor for four years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Join the Air Force and fly something. Get the military to pay you back for going to school, or go to a service academy, or ROTC.

Or

Join the Army and fly something. Get the military to pay for your school outright.
Everdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #49
Ethan kills
OG Troll

X2 on the military.

What else do you have going on for the next 4 years?
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #50
Everdai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalon View Post
My personal advice to you: Never believe the major decisions in life need to be accomplished right away. Whether it be school, marriage, your job, a vacation, etc...at your age, work hard at EXPERIENCING LIFE rather than towards dollar signs.
On that note, your future wife is a LOT more important than your career path.

Marry the wrong one and you'll find yourself miserable at home and miserable at work because you know you have to go home, or you'll lose a lot of those nice things you've earned at your job. More than likely you'll be miserable then lose all of your nice things and "get" to start over.

Or you can marry the right one, treat her right and put her before your career and be happy at home.

You work to live you don't live to work so it's a WHOLE lot better to be happy where you live than where you work.

You almost definitely won't find the right one at a bar either....
Everdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #51
dennishaussler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonnell View Post
I'd have to disagree with this one. Yes you make money right away and you're earning 30-40k per year when your friends are still in college. But guess what? They have far more opportunity than you will if you jump into a blue collar job.

I can't recommend what I'm doing quite yet, but here is the boat I'm in- quite literally.. I was a stellar student in high school, but not challenged at all. Took some adjusting once I got into college and got burned out pretty quick. I lucked into a job as a first mate on a private sailing yacht and worked my way up the ranks really quick. I got my captain's license and have worked as a captian for the past two years making damn good money. But guess what? I'm making just as much as a 50 year old captain, not much higher I can go unless I go on as a bosun on commercial ships and work my way back up, spending all of my time out at sea. I had saved enough money to be able to cut back work and now I'm going back to school to get my degree. Sure I am going to be getting out of school when I'm 24 or 25, but who cares? I'm not going to have as much student debt as the next college grad. And there is a VERY real thing called age discrimination. The people I have met over the past few years are now good friends of mine and have standing job offers with them for when I graduate.
Wrong union,,,,,, my family is all electricians, union, and pay/benefits are tops in the area, and 30 yrs in pension is pretty comfortable.
Ironworkers another story.

120 ft
Cause its a long way up,,,,,,,,
dennishaussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #52
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando8884 View Post
Definitely get a degree In something worth while. I doesn't matter if you get a government job with great insurance and a great pension. If you get injured there is no job security and no benefits. Having that degree will get you merit increases and save your but if you ever get injured.
Great advice, Fernando. Get the right degree & you'll get a huge boat if you want & you can even get a degree that will land you a huge white collar government job giving you the best of both worlds. If I'd go to school now I could easily get those jobs because they love to promote from within here. I see it all the time, we needed a guy with a masters in water but couldn't find one for a long time. You can always go back to school later after work but if you can get that degree now without having to work full time you'll save so much priceless time. You have your whole life to live on your own, staying at home & getting a degree will be more valuable in your life than having had roommates in your early adulthood (although it might make you appreciate your parents more

Wow! It sounds like everyone on here's really got their ducks in a row. It's so cool how helpful & respectful everyone's being. There is a wealth of knowledge, nothing but wisdom & great advice from all, giving you pros and cons of many paths. Maybe someone here will be able to hire you or tell you about a great opportunity. I plan to PM you about one

A degree is never a bad thing. Just the personal growth you'll get from what you learn & the experience will be worth it. "Some college" on a resume gives you an edge for a blue collar job even but idk anyone blue collar who got disabled & needed their degree but you can buy disability insurance if you're worried about it.

If you're strategic in what jobs you take, by the time you'd get your degree you can have diverse experience that will make you even more valuable if you get injured. It takes long to get a degree while working. By the time I was 22 I had experience in office work, electronic repair, all of public works, water, managed a plumbing supply warehouse, led small crews, heavy equipment & many other things with specialized training & certs.

I'm certified to work in Physical Therapy & have a therapist friend that would hire me and another friend that would hire me to fix ultrasound machines but that's just me. You'll pick up skills & value along the way.

If you're going to invest a lot of time into it, be an entrepreneur with a few employees. My friends that did that ALL make mad bank, hardly work & aren't particularly bright or capable. Some of their jobs are landlord, auto mechanic shop owner, sandwich shop owner, karaoke shop owner, violin & piano instructor, ultrasound reseller, mobile auto detailer, tile installer, drywall hanger, drycleaning pick up & delivery, house cleaning, window cleaning, etc.

As you can tell by the posts, there's not much confidence that every degree guarantees a job or that blue collar experience secures one even if you're able-bodied. My college friends & family are almost all still in school ten years later & have jobs they don't need their degree for, have no boat or time to use one (got mine when I was 20), make less than me & have less job security. Plus most the same injuries that would make me unable to do my job would make them unable to do theirs (older guys in the city don't have to be very physical). But they're all fine, we all are & you'll be, too. Have a plan A,B & C, save money, etc but most of all don't worry. Money is only a tool, life & love matters thus stressing, arguing or not enjoying life because of money or the pursuit thereof is counterproductive (but I can tell you already know that).

Unions are okay but they can strike & aren't immune to lay offs. Actually my union, the Teamsters is very strong & since I work for the govt they are not legally allowed to strike

Last edited by Carlsbad; 09-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #53
SDDiver5

It seems like 90% of people here have said this:

STAY OUT OF DEBT

Biggest lesson I have ever learned.

D
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #54
Fin Fever

just remember:

Life is like a vacuum cleaner: It sucks at the bottom; the control is at the top; and what really makes it work is in the middle.
Fin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #55
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdai View Post
On that note, your future wife is a LOT more important than your career path.

Marry the wrong one and you'll find yourself miserable at home and miserable at work because you know you have to go home, or you'll lose a lot of those nice things you've earned at your job. More than likely you'll be miserable then lose all of your nice things and "get" to start over.

Or you can marry the right one, treat her right and put her before your career and be happy at home.

You work to live you don't live to work so it's a WHOLE lot better to be happy where you live than where you work.

You almost definitely won't find the right one at a bar either....
Old 09-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #56
$eabass
La Jolla: waves & game

I was going to school to become a lawyer. Thought it would be like Matlock. After I realized it would involve sitting inside for countless hours, I switched majors.

I graduated with a degree in Construction Management, and love my job. You have the same work environment as those of the union tradesman, but since you work with your mind not your back and hands, your career may last a lot longer than one that relies on your physical capabilities.

I work inside, and when I want to go outside I do, as my job is to manage and solve problems during the course of construction. Furthermore, if I don't like the people I work for or with, a new jobsite is waiting at the end of he current project.

The field allows you to stay motivated- as you encounter new unique problems everyday, the hours are great (early start early finish), the pay is outstanding (one of the highest paying jobs out of college with just a BS), and I get to be outside whenever I want.
$eabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #57
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

There are so many different opinions in posts above, I could spend all day debating them.

1. Women and marriage (and potentially kids) is the most beautiful thing on this earth, (according to me and countless others) so don't let other's opinions from you having an open mind on that subject. Every situation is different for every person.

2. I am a real estate investor and have fun going to work every single day.

3. Education (and/or tons of work experience) is the worlds GREATEST divider. If you have none and no aspirations, you likely won't go anywhere. If you have none, and tons of aspirations, you may have a small chance of going somewhere. If you have a spectacular education, have sky-high aspirations, and an unwavering work ethic, you will have a very good chance at 'success' (see #4).

4. Everyone's definition of success is different. I can tell you early on, it isn't all $$$.

5. GOOD LUCK, and like Arnold said, "give back".

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #58
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Fever View Post
A union is basically something that guarantees you have a job no matter what the quality of your work.

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #59
YakAtak
Izabella's Dad

Send a message via Yahoo to YakAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdai View Post
Join the Air Force and fly something. Get the military to pay you back for going to school, or go to a service academy, or ROTC.

Or

Join the Army and fly something. Get the military to pay for your school outright.
Or join the Navy and learn how to be a real pilot....lol....
Old 09-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #60
themike
King of the Perch

Everyone talks a big game about what they wish they had done, or how they did it, in reality - you need to find someone who you admire and do what they did.

People who think they know how they should have done it are a dime a dozen (sorry guys!).

I HATE HATE HATE my student loans, but in reality here are the people I know who match your description:

1. 2x Medical Sales rep w/ bus degree who work their butts off 50+ hours a week some weeks, then take their own boat out other weeks. All make 6 figures +. Path to success: Bus School > Entry level sales job (one even sold urinal cakes) > current awesome sales job

2. Small business owners - College degree (more often than not) > Years of no reward lots of risk > finally paying off - free time to dive

3. Bar tenders / Beer pourers / etc - Tons of guys are plenty happy making $40k/yr and have tons of free time to dive. These guys seem to be more available to dive than anyone else i know.

The bottom line is you need to find someone living the life you want too, and mimic them. I learned this from Dave Ramsey - who pointed out:

"You sit there and listen to your parents your whole life regarding how to handle money... why? Are they millionaires? No? Then stop listening to them and find a millionaire to listen too"

Would you rather have your pops who "almost made it to the draft" teaching you football? Or Peyton Manning?

Disclaimer: It's not to say that people who made mistakes can't offer advice on how to avoid the same ones - for instance - I'm the first to say "AVOID STUDENT LOANS" - but you'd be better off finding someone who can give you advice on HOW they avoided student loans.

I'm in the ocean looking to spear a trout or maybe a salmon migrating upriver...line up a shot...BOOM- Sea Grizzly goes for it at the same time and I skewer him right through the head."
themike is offline   Reply With Quote