Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
GRobIII
Greenville, SC

15past Abacos trips, going to San Salvador, Bahamas

A spot of help please. After 15 trips to the Abacos, I'm going to San Salvador, Bahamas on Oct 25th for a week. Looking for any feedback as to how diving/spearing/reef fishing compare to Green Turtle Cay and points north to Spanish Cay. So I'm thinking:

Species differences on polespear/sling?
Depth differences? Is there reef a 'line', or is it scattered heads?
Distance to fertile grounds? Are my runs what I see off GTC, like 5 miles?
Underwater topography?

Again, after 15 trips, this is all new to me. No boats to rent, so I'm fishing with Captain Jimmy, and I'm staying at the Riding Rock Marina.

Help is appreciated!
GRobIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
GRobIII
Greenville, SC

Re: 15past Abacos trips, going to San Salvador, Bahamas

Okay, dang ya’ll. I’ll reply to my own post.

Arrived San Sal via Nassau on Oct 26th, left on the 31st. Ease to reach Riding Rock Resort (Miami  Nassau  San Sal) was about equal to making it to Green Turtle Cay (Ft. Lauderdale  Marsh  taxi to Treasure  Water taxi to GTC). Left Miami at 830, hit San Sal at 12:30. Overall more off the beaten path. People slightly more reserved. Dove/spearfished 3 days, and interestingly had only 1 shark ‘sighting’. Which is way different than Green Turtle and north to Spanish Cay where I’ve never gone 2 hours without shark interactions. Furthest boat ride to a reef spot was 15 minutes. Didn’t actually dive ‘The Wall’ but rather the patch reef behind the wall. Fun interaction one afternoon with 3 dolphins, 2 males and a female. You could actually touch the female as she came in. The had a blast streaking 2 feet below us as we got dragged behind the boat by our ‘Come Along Man’, Bull. They’d flip back around and look at you, and I swear they laughed at us because every time they did it we thought it was a shark coming in. Very funny.

Pros
Lobster were shallow and bigger. Biggest north of 7 lbs.
Fewer sharks.

Cons
I’d loved to have had my own rented center console, but instead had to reply on local fisherman. Best of my knowledge, no way to rent?
Not as many species of fish. The reef looked the same, but no Hog fish, no Yellowtail, no Black Grouper. Fewer Queen Triggers than I normally see. Probably only saw 4 in 3 days diving.
Didn’t affect us, but WOW! The swells off the island north of Riding Rock and club Med were huge.

Feel free to ask questions.

GRobIII
Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Powers
Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRobIII View Post
Okay, dang ya’ll. I’ll reply to my own post.

Arrived San Sal via Nassau on Oct 26th, left on the 31st. Ease to reach Riding Rock Resort (Miami  Nassau  San Sal) was about equal to making it to Green Turtle Cay (Ft. Lauderdale  Marsh  taxi to Treasure  Water taxi to GTC). Left Miami at 830, hit San Sal at 12:30. Overall more off the beaten path. People slightly more reserved. Dove/spearfished 3 days, and interestingly had only 1 shark ‘sighting’. Which is way different than Green Turtle and north to Spanish Cay where I’ve never gone 2 hours without shark interactions. Furthest boat ride to a reef spot was 15 minutes. Didn’t actually dive ‘The Wall’ but rather the patch reef behind the wall. Fun interaction one afternoon with 3 dolphins, 2 males and a female. You could actually touch the female as she came in. The had a blast streaking 2 feet below us as we got dragged behind the boat by our ‘Come Along Man’, Bull. They’d flip back around and look at you, and I swear they laughed at us because every time they did it we thought it was a shark coming in. Very funny.

Pros
Lobster were shallow and bigger. Biggest north of 7 lbs.
Fewer sharks.

Cons
I’d loved to have had my own rented center console, but instead had to reply on local fisherman. Best of my knowledge, no way to rent?
Not as many species of fish. The reef looked the same, but no Hog fish, no Yellowtail, no Black Grouper. Fewer Queen Triggers than I normally see. Probably only saw 4 in 3 days diving.
Didn’t affect us, but WOW! The swells off the island north of Riding Rock and club Med were huge.

Feel free to ask questions.

GRobIII
Thanks for the info. I'm a GTC/Spanish frequenter myself. When you say no hogs or blacks, is that zero? What did you end up shooting? The Abaco-style grass beds are noticeably absent from San Sal, but still looks like interesting structure around the island. Appreciate the insight.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
GRobIII
Greenville, SC

Powers,

ZERO Hogs. Guide told me they just don't have them. Saw some Spanish Hogfish that were huge. No blacks, or what they call Rockfish. He did tell me they get them on the wall, but we weren't diving there. In four days of diving I saw loads of Nassaus, maybe 1 Tiger Grouper, and maybe 2 small Yellowfins. No Yellowtail Snapper. Again, he said they just don't have them.

I'm planning a trip now for June, and I don't think I'm going back to San Sal. People were great, getting there was no harder than getting to Green Turtle, but the lack of a rental boat allowing me more freedom was off putting. I like a 23 foot center console to go where ever I want to.