Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Question Hunting the high and wild...? PICS

I just got back from a stroll in the high and wild... as the summer heat begins to ease my focus changes from hunting the 'deep' to the 'steep'...

Any (dryland) hunters out there? What do you like to hunt? I am an elk/muley nut, occasionally chase the bush dwellin' whiteys, used to hunt blackies & turkeys, and chase pussy when I can...

Glassin' where the grizzlies roam...

Dawn of a great day in elk country...

Snoozin' in the land of the yetty...
steepNdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

Re: Hunting the high and wild...? PICS

haha, did they boot us out of the Cali Forum?

my Ruger #1-A .303brit will be at my house waiting for me when I get home next week. so stoked I could wet myself
Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samik View Post
haha, did they boot us out of the Cali Forum?

my Ruger #1-A .303brit will be at my house waiting for me when I get home next week. so stoked I could wet myself
I stir the pot a bit down there, but not booted yet...

I want to see the difference between the north and south left coasters... I would think that the majority of spearos hunt up here...
Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

I keep trying to get my hunting buddies into spearfishing, but the initial cost of getting them properly equipped to handle our cold waters, and the short seasons really seem to make it a hard sell.

I'll stick to calling them girly-men when they catch the same fish with a rod&reel from a warm boat
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Bulit7

great pics man!!
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencabo View Post
I've always enjoyed your pics and adventures,,, but I'm really liking your new avatar.
Yeah me too... but I'm just a spectator these days... now the only wild kitties that I get to pet are dead ones...

Last edited by steepNdeep; 08-22-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

pic dump from duplicate thread

I just got a call from my old boss, he needs a Griz guide this fall and thought of me. Haiti sucks. I can hear my .458 calling to me....

this time last year....

Guiding adventures.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

a few more from Guiding over the years. all my pics are the computer back in canada, so digging what I can out of old emails. so pissed i'm going to miss this fall's season.

7'3" Black Bear, 20" skull. he is know at camp as "pumpkin head". he had a a healed over 30cal in his shoulder from years ago I found when I skinned him out. (pic with my hunter and another client). Soaked up 2 rounds to his hip from a .30-06 (my hunter had dropped his rifle on the stalk) then 3 rounds from my .450 at 6 paces as it turned to chew on me while stalking him in the alders.

gorgeous early spring Brown-phase Black Bear. son of a Mexican Client. the first bear he'd ever seen. a 90min craw across open ground to make this shot. very proud of the kid, brand new hunter that was shaking like an epileptic at the start, but cowboy'd up when it mattered to make a perfect one-shot-drop.

Moose with a Danish Client. taken on the last afternoon of a brutal gameless 10day hunt. weather was super hot during the day, with bright clear nights. called him onto a deactivated logging road, in heavy fog and rain and 3 rounds later he dropped. I had the lad keep shooting as right behind us is a 70' steep drop into a beaver pond. nothing makes a guide happier then a moose on a road

nice thick central BC bear taken by a client from California. 6'8" Nose to tail. 19 5/8" green skull

Old 08-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
7'3" Black Bear, 20" skull. Soaked up 2 rounds to his hi from a .30-06 (my hunter had dropped his rifle on the stalk) then 3 rounds from my .450 at 6 paces as it turned to chew on me while stalking him in the alders.
Great country up there Colin! Who did you guide for?

Finishing a big wounded bear is always a treat! At 6 yards, even teh .458 would seem small! The only bear that I 'speared' went tasmanian devil at 20 yards biting at the arrow and I nearly shat myself. I hit him a bit back & needless to say I left him until the next morning... but it rained all night and tracking him in the thick cedars was fun! I had the 12 guage w/ Brenneke rifled slugs at the ready... I was glad to find him ~2 hours & 80 yards 7later already expired... He made the BC book:

I haven't shot one for years, but I occasionally educate them (in the a$$) w/ rubber blunt broadheads if they won't leave the yard. Now I have a bear dog the keeps them in teh forest... she's treed dozens of bears. Here's one on the property that tempted me to come outta retirement and make a pillow like yours :

Last edited by steepNdeep; 08-21-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

Still guide for Omineca Outfitters, when i find the time. the staff there is the closest thing I have to family in western Canada. usually guide for free now, it's a holiday to me. love it. Planning to go back for a few weeks in the Spring 2011 season.

Nice yogi! I've tried to arrow one with my recurve for a few years, and have gotten in range, but never had a shot present itself. really want to get a compound one of these days. putting sharps sticks in bears take hunting to a whole new level. very cool. you should be very proud of that bear! (as I'm sure you are)

Note on the Pillows: those are 4 bear hides I caped. skinned, and salted. rolled them up in balls for the freezer before sending them out for tanning. was a pretty special week. all taken in one week, and represents all 4 legal color phases of blackbear available in BC. we were all pretty stoked. 7 days, 7 clients, 10 bears down. i still have dreams about that week
Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
Note on the Pillows: those are 4 bear hides I caped. skinned, and salted. rolled them up in balls for the freezer before sending them out for tanning. was a pretty special week. all taken in one week, and represents all 4 legal color phases of blackbear available in BC. we were all pretty stoked. 7 days, 7 clients, 10 bears down. i still have dreams about that week
Yeah, that sounds like an awesome week there stud! Where are most of the clients from?... eastern states?

I just rode the dirt bike up, hiked up the ridge pulled the trail cam from my muley spot. I let out a hoot when I saw the first buck pic! This is my 4th trip in there this year and my first score!! More bucks than does! Here are a few:

Lookin' good...

Short & wide...

Nice buck w/ an injury that stunted the opposite side antler:

Best bull from last week on a different mountain:
Old 08-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
zeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
Great country up there Colin! Who did you guide for?

Finishing a big wounded bear is always a treat! At 6 yards, even teh .458 would seem small! The only bear that I 'speared' went tasmanian devil at 20 yards biting at the arrow and I nearly shat myself. I hit him a bit back & needless to say I left him until the next morning... but it rained all night and tracking him in the thick cedars was fun! I had the 12 guage w/ Brenneke rifled slugs at the ready... I was glad to find him ~2 hours & 80 yards 7later already expired... He made the BC book:

I haven't shot one for years, but I occasionally educate them (in the a$$) w/ rubber blunt broadheads if they won't leave the yard. Now I have a bear dog the keeps them in teh forest... she's treed dozens of bears. Here's one on the property that tempted me to come outta retirement and make a pillow like yours :
Taking a bear at 6 yards with a bow (even with the training wheels
CAJONES man, big cajones

zeN
zeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeN View Post
Taking a bear at 6 yards with a bow (even with the training wheels
CAJONES man, big cajones

zeN
... big cajones or lack of brains... it was great to be young and invincible.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Sean E
Is it paddy time yet?

More importantly, who is the babe in your avatar? Wooo.
Sean E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Nice pics! I just know the second from the top is making Bulit jealous.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote