Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Fishkiller12
Politically Incorrect

SCUBA spearing questions

Hey all, I've been freedive spearfishing a for a couple years now, and I'm going to start SCUBA spearfishing in the summer(plan on getting certified in spring). I have twenty freedives behind me and a few SCUBA dives in pools and creeks, I've studied quite a bit so I think I have a pretty good hold on the most basic aspects of bubble-blowing. My questions are...Is there any equipment (beyond basic, of course)you guys strongly reccomend for Norcal(what and why)?....What are some easy-acces spots (beach or kayak) along Mendo/Sonoma? Also, any tips/advice for Norcal SCUA diving would be greatly appreciated!

-Nathan
Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
carlsbadspearo
Kyle Faust

Re: SCUBA spearing questions

Well you sort of open a can of worms with that. you state you have been spearfishing for years but have only 20 free dives under your belt you also state you have dove in pools and creeks (scuba) but are not certified? My suggestion for the spearfishing is use a pole spear. perhaps maybe a small jbl? I am not a scuba hunter so I can't really tell you what to get. (what I see most scuba divers that come on my boat). Vis will most likely be low and you wont be spearing pelagics on scuba. so no need for a cannon. Don't take Abalone while on scuba anywhere you dive as it is illegal. Try finding a dive club or group that goes out and attend an event or meet up. The best way to learn is to get a mentor. good luck and be careful diving with out your certifications. there are important things you need to learn before you start hunting and Scuba diving.

Kyle Faust
carlsbadspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Fishkiller12
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsbadspearo View Post
you also state you have dove in pools and creeks (scuba) but are not certified? .

Pardon my asking, but don't instructors have their students dive before they're certified?

Anyway, thanks for your input.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
NihilisticMisanthropist
Pass me the lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkiller12 View Post
Pardon my asking, but don't instructors have their students dive before they're certified?:
yeah but not in creeks.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkiller12 View Post
Pardon my asking, but don't instructors have their students dive before they're certified?
Yes, after scuba instructors teach their students the basic safety protocols then they have them do dives in order to get certified. Whomever lent you the gear would've had some pretty scary liabilities if anything would've happened to you... Never do scuba unless you're certified, there's too much that can go wrong.

Either way like carlsbadspearo pointed out you're not being very truthful in general, which isn't a good start but you're 14 so it's pretty understandable. My suggestion would be to get in touch with spearos in your area and start showing them you're an honest, trustworthy diver that's eager to learn. Attitude's everything, no one cares if you've got 2 or 200 dives under your belt so ease up
MiguelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Fishkiller12
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelT View Post

Either way like carlsbadspearo pointed out you're not being very truthful in general, which isn't a good start but you're 14 so it's pretty understandable.
Thank you for your concern. I'm not sure what you mean by being untruthful, though.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
tailsurfer

Scuba is great for diving areas beyond your depth ability. Around here, Lobster, rockfish, lingcod, and halibut are main targets for a scuba diver. Catalina is great and some spot around laguna are good and deep for scuba guys like Treasure Island and Deadman's reef.