Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings

Memorials and Condolences for Diver Passings This forum is intended for Rest in Peace Threads where we as a community offer condolences and memorialize those diver who have passed away. Safety, Accidents and Incidents discussion has a separate forum.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
CaptSport

Send a message via AIM to CaptSport
RIP Jay Riffe

My condolences to his family, to say he was a huge contributor to the sport we love would be a significant understatement. 😢

https://www.deeperblue.com/spearfish...e-dies-age-82/

Cya,

jr
CaptSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: RIP Jay Riffe

It is the end of an era, no person can have been more instrumental in making the sport what it is today, it is a tremendous loss. My condolences to his family and friends, I know that they will be heart-broken. RIP.

Jay (Jesse) Riffe is a giant of the sport as he created a brand name that is known around the world for dependable spearfishing equipment that can do the job under the most arduous of circumstances. Jay popularised the open muzzle timber band gun which is used with tabbed shafts of spring stainless steel and soft cord wishbones, in fact the first such shaft that I saw was a Riffe. He made big improvements in the Undersee mechanism which he found during his time in Australia and upgraded the quality in all areas as well as using a deep track that made best use of those shaft tabs. At some time or other most spearfishermen have either owned or used a Riffe product as it set the benchmark for others to follow. Quality is what the Riffe name stood for, you paid more for it, but you got what you paid for.

Last edited by popgun pete; 05-12-2020 at 07:51 PM. Reason: extra comment
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Nobody gets out alive. Jay appears to have lived his life to the fullest and enjoyed it. Good for him. God speed, Jay...God speed.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 05-12-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #4
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Very sad news, my condolences to Jay’s family. Jay and Jackie were always kind to me and we were always “friendly competitors”. Back in Feb of 2000 we did our first DEMA show in New Orleans at the convention center. On the morning of the first day both Jay and Jackie walked down to our booth, welcomed us to the industry, and congratulated Cindy and I on doing our first show. We talked for quite a while, they gave us a lot of helpful advice, and wished us well. Their kindness and professionalism on that day had a big impact on me. I greatly appreciated it and I will never forget it. RIP Jay.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:06 AM   #5
North Star
Max

Great people and a great product. I have four of Jay's teak guns of various sizes. I have killed a lot of fish with each of them, and they are always a joy to use. Jay was a legend. May his family find comfort in their sorrow.