Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: What kind of line do you use?
Monofilament 73 61.86%
Spectra 16 13.56%
Dyneema 18 15.25%
Kevlar 4 3.39%
Other 12 10.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #61
Spear_Row

Re: Best Spearfishing Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo1597 View Post
Spectra has come a long way in the last few years. I used to use cable exclusively but it gets kinked and causes problems. Earlier this spring I was trying to pull a fish out of the rigs and the kinked cable wrapped itself around my wrist and dive watch and locked on. Luckily after a few yanks it magically came loose but if it hadnt, I doubt my knife would have been able to cut it. Since then I went to spectra on everything. It can take a beating and is much easier to tie on new line than re-crimp cable.

I believe that salvimar line has landed yellowfin up to 250lbs so far. I have used it and the neptonics line with no problems on fish to 100lbs. The salvimar is slightly thinner and I really like the outer jacket to extend the life of the line before fraying. Its all about personal preference.

Salvimar you'll tie knots which will weaken it to some degree and its not as streamlined. Neptonics is pretty easy to splice back into itself for full strength and its streamlined. Not sure if strength really matters when these lines are rated at 830 and 1000lbs.
Yeah bro! Thanks for the insight. Cable is such a headache...but it's the gold standard for YFT, right? I appreciate your comments. I bet you get improved distance and accuracy with the thinner, more flexy spectra, or no?
Spear_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #62
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear_Row View Post
Yeah bro! Thanks for the insight. Cable is such a headache...but it's the gold standard for YFT, right? I appreciate your comments. I bet you get improved distance and accuracy with the thinner, more flexy spectra, or no?
no problem, cable is a deathtrap waiting to claim its next victim. i think theres always been a 50/50 split with big mono and cable for YFT. Not sure if there is any extra distance or accuracy with spectra vs cable. my shots arent consistent enough to accurately say yes or no but I'm sure its an improvement

Old 03-01-2015, 03:49 AM   #63
Julian-BG

+1 vote for clynema
Julian-BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #64
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
We use the slip knot because it eliminates the need for a clip.

The knot is quicker to tie and or untie than a clip, it does not rattle on the barrel if you swing the gun fast and, you can rig a double wrap using the reel line as the knot will slip through the water quicker than the clip. I use a thin glove and find it very easy to tie, I have just tried with a 3mm glove and it is doable. The advantage of the knot is that you can un tie the knot with one hand by gripping the tag end in your teeth and just pull. With a clip you need two hands to un tie.

I was once dragged over a mile by a fish when using this knot, it held

Regarding snap clips, make sure they are made with spring steel wire. There are many on the market out of China. They look the same but the wire is soft 316 grade, no spring.
The end of snap swivels for me!

Thanks Rob, learned a lot of good stuff from you. I am a long time fan of your guns (still shoot a couple of green handles, if they ever break, i will try the Vecta)

Keith
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #65
Silvertriton

Hi, I need to replace the 300lb small coated cable i have used in the past. I have ordered some Salvimar Clynema but while i wait for the order I have rigged some Riffe 600lb Spectra which is relatively easy to handle in the water and very fast. My main concern is how best to connect it to the create the loops on the shaft and at the swivel end? So far I have used a double figure of eight with a lightly pinched crimp to hold the ends clean but was wandering if getting rid of the crimp and just use a drop of glue and perhaps use a different knot like the Palomar might be better?

P.S. I have not tried the Neptonics spectra line but it looks very similar to the Zing it arborist line which I found tangles too easily in the water...
Silvertriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #66
artiz

SK90/99 Dyneema is the best material to date... you know its good when you try to cut through it... even with a brand new Stanley type blade its difficult.
I can't find this particular material listed/quoted on any spearfishing manufacturers sites (perhaps that's what Clynema is?) mainly because they want their products to be proprietary but its mostly Kite surfers who use it for their kite lines so its gotta be good...

I use it for my wishbones and the rigging on my inversion set up... and also for the spear line for some of my guns... nothing else even comes close regarding durability and strength...

Last edited by artiz; 06-03-2016 at 09:17 AM.
artiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #67
peripatetic

I've been using a waxed Dynema that I bought from Mark at Spear Shack in OB for several years with zero problems. I am still using the original line with no signs of abrasion. Not sure what its called, or where else to buy it but I would love to have a spool of it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #68
armd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertriton View Post
Hi, I need to replace the 300lb small coated cable i have used in the past. I have ordered some Salvimar Clynema but while i wait for the order I have rigged some Riffe 600lb Spectra which is relatively easy to handle in the water and very fast. My main concern is how best to connect it to the create the loops on the shaft and at the swivel end? So far I have used a double figure of eight with a lightly pinched crimp to hold the ends clean but was wandering if getting rid of the crimp and just use a drop of glue and perhaps use a different knot like the Palomar might be better?

P.S. I have not tried the Neptonics spectra line but it looks very similar to the Zing it arborist line which I found tangles too easily in the water...
The perfection loop os a great knot For rigging spectra-dyneema ,even the larger dia don't slip .

Make sure the line you choose is very tightly braided, the looser stuff is easy to back braid but isn't as tough and causes extra drag .

I got some .080" from Mako it's some tough stuff and braided so tight it's water proof !
armd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #69
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

At Neptonics we feel that if you're a new diver it's best to start with Mono. It has memory is easy to change out and won't tangle on you. If you haven't got the breathhold and are experienced enough to remain calm under water Dynemma can get you into a lot of trouble as it can and will wrap you at some point. Not knowing proper line management will definitely play into this as well.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #70
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptonic Systems View Post
At Neptonics we feel that if you're a new diver it's best to start with Mono. It has memory is easy to change out and won't tangle on you. If you haven't got the breathhold and are experienced enough to remain calm under water Dynemma can get you into a lot of trouble as it can and will wrap you at some point. Not knowing proper line management will definitely play into this as well.
Hmm... having used a multitude of spear line materials and in over 40 years of spearfishing... having never once... ever... been 'wrapped' in my spear line... arm/body/leg/belt or otherwise... I'm thinking... sometimes you just don't know your own luck until someone points it out do you?
Whilst I appreciate the need for safety regarding new divers I'm not so sure I 'feel' the same way as you or for your reasons either... both tangle.
'Horses for courses' - mono for some guns... dyneema for others... I wouldn't allow over caution to get in the way of practicality would be my own personal approach... new diver or otherwise.
Besides that's why most of us take 2 knives... just in case.

Last edited by artiz; 06-09-2016 at 04:17 PM.
artiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #71
aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiz View Post
Hmm... having used a multitude of spear line materials and in over 40 years of spearfishing... having never once... ever... been 'wrapped' in my spear line... arm/body/leg/belt or otherwise... I'm thinking... sometimes you just don't know your own luck until someone points it out do you?
Whilst I appreciate the need for safety regarding new divers I'm not so sure I 'feel' the same way as you or for your reasons either... both tangle.
'Horses for courses' - mono for some guns... dyneema for others... I wouldn't allow over caution to get in the way of practicality would be my own personal approach... new diver or otherwise.
I use Dyneema exclusively on all guns, 1.4mm, 1.7mm and 2mm and it most definitely tangles/wraps way more than rigid mono. I prefer dynemma and will continue to use it but find it pretty tough to imagine them being on par in terms of ease of use.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #72
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
I use Dyneema exclusively on all guns, 1.4mm, 1.7mm and 2mm and it most definitely tangles/wraps way more than rigid mono. I prefer dynemma and will continue to use it but find it pretty tough to imagine them being on par in terms of ease of use.
You'd best tell us more then...
Old 06-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #73
aussie

Quote:
You'd best tell us more then...
I'm not sure what you're asking?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #74
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Wraps happen and for sure much more often when not using mono.

Ive never met a diver that took more than one knife.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #75
armd1

I use two knives ,one on the forearm the other on the inner calf.
armd1 is offline   Reply With Quote