Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

El Nino predicted thru the Summer

...Early summer predictions are tough to make but, so far, it looks like a 70 to 80 percent chance of El Nino thru Summer and 55 to 70% thru the Fall. The likelihood of mahi-mahi and yellowfin showing is good and perhaps, even a wayward wahoo or two....
...Bluefin have popped up north of here near Monterrey...heck, maybe albacore locally by September? This year's showing of gw "babies" inshore is unclear. Those earlier five to 6' babies are now in the 8 to 10' range and larger fish usually stay further offshore (Catalina, this year?). I am looking at inshore and offshore current patterns in an attempt to obtain a clearer picture of what the gamefish season will be over the coming months..
...Cal State University, Long Beach, has done away with Prospector Pete as their mascot and students are now known as the "Sharks"....a sign of things to come?

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 05-15-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Justice Jonez

Re: El Nino predicted thru the Summer

Really appreciate all the knowledge you share on here sir. I have a question for ya if ya don't mind... I have about a 10-15k budget and am looking for a seaworthy vessel for fishing & diving mostly. Would like to be able to hit the Coronados and Catalina as well as have a small cabin for my Pa to be able to go rest in while out on the water. What would you recommend I look for? Thank you for your time.
Justice Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

...There are several ways to go: With a limited budget, you can: 1) do a two or three way partnership to fund a newer (but more reliable} engine and boat...buying cheap boats with old engines causes no end of grief, with more time spent keeping them running, than diving time and the ocean is no place to cut corners on engines; 2) buy a cheap but sturdy hull at auction and finance a new engine, giving you a far more reliable setup; (check sites like Craigslist, Boat Angel; local marinas (Long Beach and Newport Beach have auctions). I go to auto auctions (L.B.) and see boats on occasion that sell cheap but, need work....3) finance a good running used or new boat over time at a credit union (I belong to two credit unions and one bank)...the reason is that each often offer a good interest rate, with one a good rate on boats and another a better rate on trucks and cars....(Ex. I bought a 2017 auto at the Long Beach car auction on my Costco credit card for $7,500, went to my credit union and refinanced it over a long length of time for 125 percent of its blue book value( Bluebook was $13,000), pulled out over $6,000 in cash to use for another investment and can sell the car for what I paid for it after a year or two...Additionally, I get a cash rebate back on my Costco credit card....You just have to teach yourself about my favorite 3 words (OPM) …..using Other Peoples Money.... teaching yourself financial knowledge is the key to success and wealth..Over time, you will be able to buy a yacht if that is your dream.
...I have owned various boats with different engine setups...the least work is a boat with an outboard, on a trailer...You have to learn how to keep the trailer bearings greased and fittings need constant cleaning/painting, but, lots easier to work on than an in water hull with diesel or gas engine inside an engine compartment and perhaps, an outdrive that creates even more cost and work...Around 1000 hours, outdrives usually need to be rebuilt..wear out an outboard,,you just buy a new one, clamp it on and off you go for another (almost) trouble free 3 to 5,000 hours of running...I am over crawling around in limited space engine compartments and skinning my knuckles with a wrench...An outboard boat has less thru hull fittings to leak and possibly sink your boat; another big positive...
...A good size for the islands and easier to tow is a 23'er which will handle most weather and needs; an 18 to 22 will work, but, beats you up in choppy water...
...As far as brands, there are many that are good and some that are adequate, but, laid up cheaply. Once you find one you like, just describe it in detail and ask us for an opinion...I found my 25' Parker 50 miles inland (a good thing..well away from ocean corrosion) on Craigslist...you just have to be patient and keep searching for that one deal that falls in place...There you have it;, everything I know about boats in 4 paragraphs.....good luck …then, there is #4)... save a lot of work; join the Freedom Boat Club and just rent a boat when you want to go out....that could turn out to be your best decision in life.... p.s. just for fun, click on CWSmarketing.com and check out the 30' Grady White with twin 250 engines currently up for auction.....me, I am greedy to own the custom '57 Chevy in bright orange!....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 05-15-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
Justice Jonez

Thank you very much Sir for the words of wisdom & advice. It is greatly appreciated! Was looking at this,
but now rethinking it and leaning towards outboards as well as a bit newer... https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...880483031.html
Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

...Skipjack negatives: older models tend to take water over the top in rough conditions and Volvo parts are very expensive, often requiring a wait of weeks for the parts to arrive from across the sea. Skipjacks do retain value, have good deck space and are fun to drive from up top in calm weather...No matter the engine, be sure to search online for recalls or issues on that particular h.p. model, even outboards..(Ex...200 hp Yamahas were good but, some of the 225 and 250 models and newer 300 models had issues.
... The older 225-250's developed corrosion spots in the exhaust tube allowing a hole to develop between the head and the exhaust...Result is a blown head and very expensive repairs or repair it early by replacing the exhaust sleeve ($250 plus labor) with a kit from Yamaha. It requires dropping the bottom end, shining a flashlight up the tube, and looking for white spots of corrosion.... The 300 had some head issues of a different sort ( flywheel, if I recall correctly)..."The Hull Truth.com" is a good source of info about issues...Buyer beware on everything used...On the other hand, I never buy new and save a lot of money by carefully researching (with cars/trucks, Consumer Reports is my bible for research on which year to buy used). Bought my 3500 Chevy dually pickup at the city auction for $3500. 62,000 miles....Bluebook is $7,000....only negative so far: it needs a paint job and stands out near my wealthy neighbors new shiny trucks and suvs that aren't paid for or, are more likely, leased to keep up their image.....A new pickup similar to mine: about $55,000 or more....save your money and put it into income producing real estate if you want to retire early and live the good life.....

Every youngster on this board should read, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. Learn what the rich teach their kids and the poor to middle class do not. Save $17 and borrow his books from the library or $2 each in thrift shop book sections....Tomorrow, my wife and I will be attending the 2nd day of his 3 day real estate investing class in LA. This time, I willingly invested $495 in education that will earn us far more if his investing steps are followed correctly...If I had had access to this info when I was twenty, I would be a multi-multi millionaire today.....But, it is never too late to start for anyone wanting to control their financial future....Wealth alone won't make you happy, but, it sure reduces stress when all the bills come due....All I have to worry about these days is beating Lompoc to his, er, mine, "secret" seabass spots!.... Well, there is the matter of hiding my posts so my wife won't take my computer away from me for getting into useless pissing matches....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 05-18-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
Justice Jonez

Thank you again sir for the knowledge and advice. It truly is appreciated and and taken with much consideration... Here is another find. It is an inboard, but it seems ike its hard to find a nice outboard boat with a cabin for Pa within my price range... Ill continue to be patient in my search, but what is your opinion on this vessel? Thank you! https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...876004483.html
Old 05-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
Bob Ballew

...Seems like a possible good buy, based on gear onboard...Hull design is probably a bouncy ride in a 3' swell....Reading the ad, it appears you are up against an experienced "wheeler-dealer". The engine has been partially rebuilt, raising the question of what other issues remain?...Middle of the road boat in the economy class, probably used originally for water skiing...The fishing gear would indicate it was used in saltwater...I would take a Merc mechanic with me to test the compression and examine it closely for salt corrosion..Rebullt outdrive is usually done after 1,000 hours on the engine....New trailer would indicate the old one rusted away from lots of use, possibly in saltwater...The coolant channels could be plugged or corroded up and need replaced...costly for parts and labor.. Read the log and all receipts closely to get a feel for what repairs were done and what issues are likely to appear later...I would ask for a boat ride with a certified Mercury mechanic on board...Last time I did that, a rusted out manifold blew off the engine and the mechanic just shook his head, "NO"...Found out later the boat suffered a fire onboard and had been cosmetically painted over and patched to cover the damage...
...If it checks out mechanically ( a certified Merc mechanic will probably charge $200 to $350...money well spent to save you from a bad buy), then, ask the seller to carry paper and make payments...always use opm whenever possible (other peoples money)..As a buyer, you are in the drivers seat....start at a 3 percent interest offer (used is 5 to 12 percent at credit unions) and ask for a 5 year carry with nothing down...see what he counter offers with and decide if it is worthwhile to you...When he counters, just reply, "hmmm" in a disappointed voice, then shut up, say nothing more and just wait....10, 20, 30 seconds...he will be thinking of how to close the sale rather than have you walk away...chances are the price will drop or he will offer better terms...Then, I would talk...saying, "Would you consider $( ex. $7,000 and financing over 3 years)? in order.to get an even better deal. Often, you will be surprised at what discounts you can end up with...If you don't ask, they certainly are not going to lower the price or conditions...
...Always remember the old Chinese proverb, "He who would be wealthy, keep purse strings closed".....I (always politely) use the, "Would you consider" technique in all purchases and usually get a better price as a result...If he says he will let you know, as other buyers are interested, just say that is ok, I have two other boats to look at today and will check back with you later.....Don't be afraid to walk away...if there is a deal to be had, he will call you back...or re-negotiate again later....
...I see black clouds on the horizon regarding our economy and Trump's bull in the china shop uneducated version of economics...The ultra wealthy are preparing for something to crash, as they are moving some of their assets into liquid cash holdings...usually a warning that something bad is occurring and great deals will be available to those who have the cash to weather the storm and buy out those who panic and sell at the very time they should be buying on a down market.....Ask yourself this...If I lost my job tomorrow due to a recession, would I still buy a boat?....or...would I be sorry and wish I still had money in the bank? Unlike real estate, which is a negative cash flow that over time can be turned into a positive cash flow; boats, planes and related toys stay negative their whole life unless used as a tax shelter...
....The wealthy spend money on things that generate cash flow, THEN, they use some of the positive cash flow to make payments on toys that are paid for by someone else, usually the poor to middle class who don't think like the wealthy...Enough lecturing..life is all about making decisions and taking quick action on opportunities that come up...(ex. The real estate class we are taking to inspire us to make some investment moves has great info and was worth the money IF we get off our complacent butts and take some action (in our case, looking for a 4 unit apartment building with seller financing)...BUT, now the pressure is on all attendees to spend another $31,000 for "advanced" classes and mentors to help guide us...The class was only the bait to hook the gullible into handing over lots of money and all to often, emotion (get rich fast) overrules logic (just invest the money)... Had I been 21 to 35 years old with more time to build wealth, I would have spent the money and it would have been a good investment return after a couple of purchases using one of the techniques taught, utilizing OPM. My wife is a sharp cookie and we both quickly agreed to resist the sales pitch pressure and "hold 'em", based on what we see going on with the economy.... Success in life is all in the timing....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; Yesterday at 05:31 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM   #8
mactrac

Aside from the issues Bob mentions, the bow access on that boat is terrible.

That's OK for skiing, drift fishing etc. where you are mostly moving but bad for diving where*you are anchoring and unhooking all the time. When you do get up on the bow, it has a very low rail which is going to make it sketch in anything less flat calm conditions.

There are much better boats out there in your price bracket for diving.

Take a look at this:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...882083645.html

Direct drive is better than an in/out and Shamrocks have a strong following. But mechanical/structural condition is everything so do your homework.
mactrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #9
Bob Ballew

x2 on what mactrac said...I won't buy a boat unless it has a flat forward deck for stability under rough conditions..Good boat with good rep...Main negative is the limited access to the engine compartment and getting to the thru hull seals on the shaft to exterior if you hit something and spring a leak at the shaft entry point...So far, your best choice...This would place you at number one of the seven stages of boat ownership...Stage 6 is, the fish are in and you don't give a damn, you just want to sell and get out from under boat upkeep expenses and maintenance….I have been at stage 5 for 10 years....

If it was me, I would hot foot it up to San Pedro on Monday 20th to check out the 30' Grady-White rigged to kill...Current bid is $9,410? Engines were ran in March, apparently...Resale on that boat is at least $30,000 and probably more.....Pop would like that one...If you are thinking of going for it, get pre-qualified to bid asap, as any delay could put you out of the game...Tip: don't bid at these auctions until the last hour or so...otherwise, you are just helping to drive up the price and essentially are bidding against yourself...Understand any time differences on the clock...At the Marina auctions, I am always the last one to yell out a bid...at the last second...Then, there is the "Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it" rule....including finding a storage yard to store a 30'er....at around a cost of $225 to $250 a month...Insurance around $500 a year, gasoline, Vessel Assist about $200 a year...ad infinum....welcome to my world!....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; Yesterday at 03:15 PM.