Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
AndrewK

Re: Spearing in the Canyons off NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin_fever View Post
i had them around the 100 square last week. im going tonite again. i let you know where we find them tomorrow

Sounds good, we're gonna run to the pots off AC and check a buoy as well friday for them and hopefully find em.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
yellowfin_fever

got back from the hudson late last night. only trolled 2 yellowfin, saw a few mahi. not many though. i think they got pounded over the weekend. should be more around by friday. just in time to get pounded over the weekend
yellowfin_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
FLETCHOSAURUS

Do any of these Mahi have any good size?
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈ ╰━━ ┃
┣━━━━━━╯ ┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
FLETCHOSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
PeterCorreale
Sponsor-SpearfishingPanama

Send a message via AIM to PeterCorreale

I just got back from the canyons a few hours ago, shot a couple small mahi off a high flyer out by the dip... There where a lot of yellow fin out there today, we boated seven fish up to around sixty pounds.... I'll post the under water shots of the mahi when I get to a computer.
PeterCorreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
Behslayer

Interesting.. Peter, I'm coming to RI in @ 2 weeks. Should I bring a Cannon? My brother fishes out there a lot with Rod and Reel and sent me a photo of a 25Olb Big Eye he caught last week.. I had a friend who works on a Scallop boat tell me about when he jumped in and nailed a big yellowfin, but one thing I'm not hearing mentioned here, was the first thing that he said... Blue Sharks Everywhere.. So, what's it like out there? Sharkfest? If you shoot a Mahi do a few species of toothed dinner guests show up?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
LeMonstier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCorreale View Post
I just got back from the canyons a few hours ago, shot a couple small mahi off a high flyer out by the dip... There where a lot of yellow fin out there today, we boated seven fish up to around sixty pounds.... I'll post the under water shots of the mahi when I get to a computer.
GET TO A COMPUTER!! I want to see underwater shots of Mahi!!
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #22
AndrewK

We're running tomorrow for em, hope the weather stays friendly to us..... Ill report back in the evening.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #23
FishTracks

good news ......bad news.,....

GOOD news Monday July 5 out of Brielle on Pipe Dreams a 68 Viking, myself, walter, chip (owner) and his son Dante left at 2am and landed the first of 14 yellowfin at 630am. Crew of 4 with driver, 2 mates and one just to get us drinks and cold towels.....

4 hours of fishing and 14 Yfins later heading back. Put a few D-fins in coffin as well. At dock by 215. AWESOME trip

BAD news, with seas 3-5 and me the only shooter on boat and not the right crew (for freediving) I did not pull the trigger.

Unreal opportunity and look forward to seeing PipeDreams and Chip in Key West in Feb.

pics to come
Old 07-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #24
PeterCorreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Interesting.. Peter, I'm coming to RI in @ 2 weeks. Should I bring a Cannon? My brother fishes out there a lot with Rod and Reel and sent me a photo of a 25Olb Big Eye he caught last week.. I had a friend who works on a Scallop boat tell me about when he jumped in and nailed a big yellowfin, but one thing I'm not hearing mentioned here, was the first thing that he said... Blue Sharks Everywhere.. So, what's it like out there? Sharkfest? If you shoot a Mahi do a few species of toothed dinner guests show up?

I wouldn't worry about sharks out there, sounds like ur buddies blue dog encounter was based on the fact that he was diving in essentially the chum slick created by the scallop boat. I would imagine that u will have way more shark encounters while batteling DTT's back home in indo then u will have out in the canyons... Not to sAy it won't happen though.... If u plan on getting out to the canyons while ur here then I would definitely bring a gun for shooting mahi. There are tons of them out there, just find the warm water and look for the high flyers... Hit me up if ur gonna be around the montauk area, we can go for a dive or something. I also wouldn't mind checking out one of ur sweet ulusub guns if u bring one with ya... Cheers!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
njfreediver

Dude next time you guys plan a trip tell mike and max to call me. I'm dying to go out and shoot in the canyon
njfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #26
Behslayer

Hi Peter,

Do you get shots on Yellowfin too? Should I be bringing a Real Tuna Gun? Or a Mahi Gun?

I'll be out in Montauk. One of my best friends is a teacher out there. You probably know him from surfing. Colin.

If you have speciic interest in a gun, let me know ASAP as I have three more days in the factory before I get on a plane.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #27
Bigsurf7

The most prevelant shark while diving the canyons believe it or not is a tiger shark.I have seen more of them while diving there than any others.The yft are very difficult to spear in the Northern canyons because it seems they are always on the move and its hard to keep them chummed up during the day.Most of your action will be on mahi around the pots but definately keep a lookout for tripletails too.
Bigsurf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #28
AndrewK

Adam is that you? TRIPLETAIL, really?!?!? Would love to get some of them.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #29
Behslayer

Sounds familiar.. to our FAD fishing.

However, Yellowfin eating Tiger Sharks is not what I was hoping to hear.

What about if someone is boating a Yellowfin on Rod and Reel, any experience with a few others following it up?

Any Wahooooooooooooooooooooo?

Are people getting bitten off fishing with Rod and Reel?

Thanks for the insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAD2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	131944  
Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #30
PeterCorreale

I've never shot tuna out in the canyons, but I'm gonna try and out together a trip in the near future and go out there and give it a go..... I kinda figured that the biggest challenge will be the fact that they are always on the move.... I reckon the best way to do it would be to find a commercial boat with a bypass slick behind and it and throw some chum and flashers in and hope a yft comes into range