Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #46
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt
Re: DIY Mono Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
I just realized that I have an extra 17-4 PH 5/16" Ray Odor shaft sitting around..not sure if I would need to heat treat it again after crosshole drilling..
Do you understand what "heat treating" actually does to the metal?

Types of crystal structures is a partial hint. You should be able to answer this question yourself.

Why are some Stainless Steels harden-able and others are not?
Old 12-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #47
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Do you understand what "heat treating" actually does to the metal?

Types of crystal structures is a partial hint. You should be able to answer this question yourself.

Why are some Stainless Steels harden-able and others are not?
made a search on the pract. machinist forum and came to the conclusion that It'd be smarter to order or have someone drill holes in the shafts for me like the stringer shafts made by vector marine.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:10 AM   #48
Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
made a search on the pract. machinist forum and came to the conclusion that It'd be smarter to order or have someone drill holes in the shafts for me like the stringer shafts made by vector marine.

Not having a stringer made me a little jealous of my buddies, but I knew that I could probably make a couple for under $0.99 each.

I still have enough materials to make 5-10 stringers.
Looks like you are getting away from your product cost of under $.99

Assume you figured out the heat treating question?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:49 AM   #49
Ren

Quote:
Looks like you are getting away from your product cost of under $.99

Assume you figured out the heat treating question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlabheattreating
Steel parts often require a heat treatment to obtain improved mechanical properties, such as increasing increase hardness or strength.

The hardening process consists of heating the components above the critical (normalizing) temperature, holding at this temperature for one hour per inch of thickness cooling at a rate fast enough to allow the material to transform to a much harder, stronger structure, and then tempering.
The process does not seem simple and requires a good amount of knowledge that my "backyard engineering" won't be able to substitute for. I've got a lot of material to cover before I even consider production quality gear, but for my needs right now I'm pretty satisfied but if I could just figure out how to get rid of these 'flounder' 5/16" spear tips or re-use them it'd be sweet..

As of now I've been using a 6" 6061 mono stringer and it gets dull very quickly but it works if I put it through the fish's eyes...

When I started out I was using a nylon fishing stringer like this one:

and a very heavy solid 5/8" 6ft pole spear wondering why I couldn't hit
any perch and almost giving up on the sport..

__________________________________________________ ______________
Something tells me I'm going to look back on my posts a couple years from now and laugh at how dumb my questions seemed.

Thanks for tips and hints for a clueless kid.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:05 AM   #50
Ren

2016 Stringers.

5/16" 304 Stainless Steel, 5-6" Stringers

Hybrid Carbon Fiber/ SS Stringer 8".

These are stringers that I made for friends. To complete them, the user can attach a tuna clip on the other end of their belt in order to quickly detach the whole stringer in case of emergency/ handing fish to buddies in the boat.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #51
FreediveCA

Looking good kiddo. Was the CF just for fun?
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #52
Ren

[quote=FreediveCA;2104151]Looking good kiddo. Was the CF just for fun?[/Q]
Thank you kindly sir!

The CF stringer was the combination of two scrap materials, the CF tube from a polespear build, and a short 5/16" rod that was shredded by my bench vise on one side. The finished product hides the imperfections in the SS, and it's a snug dry fit, secured with JB Weld.

The hard part about drilling the CF was making sure not to cause splinters by pushing my bit through the whole tube. Instead I just drilled one hole at a time in both sides separately. With practice on a couple scrap pieces it came easier than I expected.

I asked a couple guys in my club if they'd be willing to test it out for me, and the current owner is enjoying how lightweight it is.

TL;DR yes, it was for ships and goggles.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #53
Linghunt

Builds from scrap material always a good idea. Made some good designs that started from digging through the scrap buckets.

I see a Wilton Vise in picture... NICE.... I want one too spendy for me. Post a better picture of it.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #54
Ren

Quote:
Builds from scrap material always a good idea. Made some good designs that started from digging through the scrap buckets.

I see a Wilton Vise in picture... NICE.... I want one too spendy for me. Post a better picture of it.
It's funny you bring that up. My dad actually bought this bench vise at a swap meet for $20. Here's a picture of it.

I can't find anything that rivals the craftsmanship for that price..
Old 05-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #55
Linghunt

Go price it on the market you will see what I mean. $200 - $500 used on ebay.

Saw one new for $2,900 .

You might consider a pair of soft jaws for it. Some have V-slot for holding round stock.

Some copper sheet is a DIY practice. Copper Jaws for Wilton on Ebay is $50 - $100

You got it for $20 because seller didn't know what he had. lol
Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #56
Ren

Quote:
Go price it on the market you will see what I mean. $200 - $500 used on ebay.

Saw one new for $2,900 .

You might consider a pair of soft jaws for it. Some have V-slot for holding round stock.

Some copper sheet is a DIY practice. Copper Jaws for Wilton on Ebay is $50 - $100

You got it for $20 because seller didn't know what he had. lol
Wow. That's pretty awesome. I don't think we're ever going to sell it. Dad loves his made in USA and made in Germany hand tools. Ha-ha.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #57
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

I've read gun build threads that weren't this long and involved.

Pick up a couple of these belt loops and you won't have to drill holes your lead.
Also, that knife sheath flopping around on that cord hanging from your belt is a very dangerous thing in the kelp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harness1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	229453   Click image for larger version

Name:	harness2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	229454  
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #58
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
I've read gun build threads that weren't this long and involved.

Pick up a couple of these belt loops and you won't have to drill holes your lead.
Also, that knife sheath flopping around on that cord hanging from your belt is a very dangerous thing in the kelp.
Thanks Rich!

I run my stringers as quick detach nowadays. Tuna clip on the loop side, and bungee on the tip of the stringer right to the belt.

John has a cable setup that he's producing that looks pretty sweet as well.

(Photo is property of Linghunt Engineering inc.)

The only issue I've ran into with using polespear rubber to retain the stringer was when I put more than 15lbs of fish on it, but that's pretty rare for me on shore dives as of late since most of the fish I shoot are in the 1-3lb range.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #59
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

I like to make these from bent spears- i find if I use skinny spears- they are MUCH ighter and therefore way less cumbersome.
I use only 7.5 and 8mm spears- but I keep my eyes open for buddies who sti use those skinny spears- like 6.5- and 7mm not many people use them around here- but the ones that DO have lots of bent spears that I can get if I ask-
I always try to get the tip end- since it has the flopper hole already in it- - and that is what I use for putting the cable or dyneema through- since drilling hoes through spears - takes time even WITH a bad ass spear drilling jig - like Dean Koutras made me. - also the end is already pointy - one other tip I can give to the home made guys - don't make the tip too sharp- it's not necessary and it tends to poke holes in suit and hands. -
btw - I like that little sheath thing for the tip that is in the one pic - I usually make mine with dyneema- with the spike on one end and a dyneema oop on other end- I use a caribiner to clip it to my belt - and I tuck it in my belt to keep it from flapping.
I find it's alot safer to keep the stringer in the front- if you got sharks in your area - they know where your eyes are and if you can't see them-
I have a buddy whop had a hammerhead about 7 ft long chomping on a fish that was danging behind him on a fish stringer - he said it was quite scary- despite the small size and relative innoculus species of the shark. Imagine it was a 9 ft - 400# bull shark with buddies?
btw - I like your shoulder straps and overall weight belt set up.
I have an omer weight vest - and it's nice to not even have a belt - if I don't want one. I choose to have most of the weight in the vest- but enough of it on the belt - that if I drop it - I will float up. I made a bunch of plates to go in the vest pockets- so they would be very flat and comfortable. I used 5/16" (8mm)thick x (6cm)2.25" wide x 4" ( 10 cm) long - and they weigh like .9 lbs each (.4kilo) For those who don't know - it feels very comfy - not to have fat - hard weights digging into me. - looks cool too. haha
Old 12-04-2016, 02:21 AM   #60
skygear
          

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
I like to make these from bent spears- i find if I use skinny spears- they are MUCH ighter and therefore way less cumbersome.
I use only 7.5 and 8mm spears- but I keep my eyes open for buddies who sti use those skinny spears- like 6.5- and 7mm not many people use them around here- but the ones that DO have lots of bent spears that I can get if I ask-
I always try to get the tip end- since it has the flopper hole already in it- - and that is what I use for putting the cable or dyneema through- since drilling hoes through spears - takes time even WITH a bad ass spear drilling jig - like Dean Koutras made me. - also the end is already pointy - one other tip I can give to the home made guys - don't make the tip too sharp- it's not necessary and it tends to poke holes in suit and hands. -
btw - I like that little sheath thing for the tip that is in the one pic - I usually make mine with dyneema- with the spike on one end and a dyneema oop on other end- I use a caribiner to clip it to my belt - and I tuck it in my belt to keep it from flapping.
I find it's alot safer to keep the stringer in the front- if you got sharks in your area - they know where your eyes are and if you can't see them-
I have a buddy whop had a hammerhead about 7 ft long chomping on a fish that was danging behind him on a fish stringer - he said it was quite scary- despite the small size and relative innoculus species of the shark. Imagine it was a 9 ft - 400# bull shark with buddies?
btw - I like your shoulder straps and overall weight belt set up.
I have an omer weight vest - and it's nice to not even have a belt - if I don't want one. I choose to have most of the weight in the vest- but enough of it on the belt - that if I drop it - I will float up. I made a bunch of plates to go in the vest pockets- so they would be very flat and comfortable. I used 5/16" (8mm)thick x (6cm)2.25" wide x 4" ( 10 cm) long - and they weigh like .9 lbs each (.4kilo) For those who don't know - it feels very comfy - not to have fat - hard weights digging into me. - looks cool too. haha

I too use dyneema. tie all of my own loops with FIDS.

Tried ordering a couple stringers from a local shop and got tired of waiting after months of excuses and decided my way was better using the dyneema -
skygear is offline   Reply With Quote