Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-25-2019, 01:34 AM   #31
Andrew Makely

Re: Cuttled Barrel Ballasting

I am assuming it was 4". Largest PVC in stock at Home Depot. I am away from home so cannot check.
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:42 AM   #32
Andrew Makely

Maybe I am dreaming. Could have been 6"
Old 10-25-2019, 01:44 AM   #33
Andrew Makely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Doesn't look overly complicated. Though I guess there could be an advantage to keeping a pair of boardshorts and a T-shirt inside your gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwpMx82WTNE
Perfect to keep in the truck when traffic strands you by the ocean in Hawaii.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #34
musubi

Quote:
Doesn't look overly complicated. Though I guess there could be an advantage to keeping a pair of boardshorts and a T-shirt inside your gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwpMx82WTNE
Haha,

Alright, so last night I better determined how much weight it'll take to just barely start sinking the gun. It was 0.49 lbs in fresh water. I also had a little extra buoyancy since I plugged at the end (instead of 3" in on one side). Factoring those things in, I'm coming to 0.524 lbs to add inside the barrel just to get the gun sinking WITH the shaft in the ocean. To get the gun sinking without the shaft is 1.724 lbs. (which I don't want), so there's my boundaries, weight wise. With the placement of my plugs, I can add up to 0.6 lbs of pellets to ballast the gun after plugging (muzzle and handle).

I haven't decided on my target weight (how much backup clothes I'll stuff inside), but I have some good wiggle room. I just don't want the gun too heavy after I seal it all up.

For this particular application, the 16 lb high density foam would probably work best. For the interior volume of this 120 cm cuttled barrel, I can add 0.664 lbs of foam to my gun (assuming I place the plugs 3" in on each end). And this is substantial weight. I need to have this a bit heavier since I'm not adding a reel (w/ line) to this gun. I think for other guns with reels, less dense foam could be used, like the one the guy used in the video. Thanks for sharing that Jon.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #35
popgun pete

If you put a disk or a small ball with a cord running to the other end then you can use it to pull your clothing out if you need to adjust it, or you could poke it out with a rod working from the other end, if it is still open.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #36
Behslayer

I've ballasted a lot of guns. One trick is that if you have a cooler which is already fitting your gun, you can add salt to bring the Salinity up to 1.025. (Need a hydrometer like you'll find in Pet Store for fish tanks) Get cheap salt at Home Depot. (Water softener) But, it's always best to figure out your Ballast AND Balance in Salt Water with the gun dressed up (No need Bands or if you want get it totally perfect, with bands and loaded.. but it's always best to have a little variability ie. Adjustable Weight System so you could swap out shafts or change things a little regarding both Ballast and Balance.)

We're not reinventing the Wheel here. I'm pretty sure Carbon Pipe Guns which have been foam filled used 4-6# Foam. Maybe someone here has better idea than I do. 16# sounds extreme.. The last thing you want to do is fill the barrel with something hard as a rock which makes the gun to heavy.. Maybe send US composites and Email They are probably well versed in this stuff.

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

The Most Ideal situation is to fill the barrel with a Closed Cell Foam so it will not absorb water and then Be able to add or remove Lead from the Muzzle and Handle. If you have a variability of 75-100gr on each end which you can tune with, that's the best situation. Also, once the foam is there, if you wanted to drill out a cylinder in the foam and affix a slug of lead as permanent ballast that would also work.

I vote keep your clothes on and fill with foam.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #37
popgun pete

Quote:
I've ballasted a lot of guns. One trick is that if you have a cooler which is already fitting your gun, you can add salt to bring the Salinity up to 1.025. (Need a hydrometer like you'll find in Pet Store for fish tanks) Get cheap salt at Home Depot. (Water softener) But, it's always best to figure out your Ballast AND Balance in Salt Water with the gun dressed up (No need Bands or if you want get it totally perfect, with bands and loaded.. but it's always best to have a little variability ie. Adjustable Weight System so you could swap out shafts or change things a little regarding both Ballast and Balance.)

We're not reinventing the Wheel here. I'm pretty sure Carbon Pipe Guns which have been foam filled used 4-6# Foam. Maybe someone here has better idea than I do. 16# sounds extreme.. The last thing you want to do is fill the barrel with something hard as a rock which makes the gun to heavy.. Maybe send US composites and Email They are probably well versed in this stuff.

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

The Most Ideal situation is to fill the barrel with a Closed Cell Foam so it will not absorb water and then Be able to add or remove Lead from the Muzzle and Handle. If you have a variability of 75-100gr on each end which you can tune with, that's the best situation. Also, once the foam is there, if you wanted to drill out a cylinder in the foam and affix a slug of lead as permanent ballast that would also work.

I vote keep your clothes on and fill with foam.
I agree, using old clothes is like using open cell foam, the worst stuff that you can use in a speargun. Closed cell is the best choice, or watertight bungs that stay watertight and nothing inside at all. Corks ain't what they were because they were quality cork tree bark once upon a time, now some are composite cork which is crap made up of glued fragments.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #38
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
I agree, using old clothes is like using open cell foam, the worst stuff that you can use in a speargun. Closed cell is the best choice, or watertight bungs that stay watertight and nothing inside at all. Corks ain't what they were because they were quality cork tree bark once upon a time, now some are composite cork which is crap made up of glued fragments.
I just want to be clear that I'm not just packing clothes (or whatever is used) and not plugging the ends. I do plan to permanently plug and seal the interior cavity so it remains dry.

The foam seems like a neat idea to play with, but I don't plan to do it with this gun. Sorry to disappoint anyone.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #39
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
I just want to be clear that I'm not just packing clothes (or whatever is used) and not plugging the ends. I do plan to permanently plug and seal the interior cavity so it remains dry.

The foam seems like a neat idea to play with, but I don't plan to do it with this gun. Sorry to disappoint anyone.
I realize that you are plugging the ends, but if shit happens and the plugs leak then the wet clothes are going to be a chore to pull out, especially if they expand when wet.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:39 AM   #40
popgun pete

When operating from home my guns post-dive soak in this plastic rubbish bin which I also take on some vehicle trips, but it takes a lot of water to fill it. Guns go in end for end for a quarter of an hour or so for each end, but can stay longer if they don't have to be packed up any time soon. There can be up to six guns in the bin letting osmotic action suck the salt out of joins and overlap sections which will not be easily hosed off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gun soak R.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	244364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gun soak 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	244365  
Old 11-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #41
Andrew Makely

So not to hijack a thread but when I get back to Maui I will try the High density foam idea with the barrel I got from Makoa. I will start a new thread so I can get all help you all are willing to give me (lord knows I need it). My idea is to build a high end carbon fiber standard band gun and then compare it to the inverted roller Carbonia gun I will get roughly when I get back on island as well. Going with a Apnea muzzle to put bands inline, 120 cm carbon cuttle fish barrel, aussie reel, pathos 1 handle with ermes-sub mech and probably use pre and post modifying handle to my hand.