Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquatic Hunter
Tom

Elliott Bay Marina Breakwater

Stellar conditions: 8:30 a.m., near high tide, light wind, calm and clear water, upper 60s with sunlight penetrating deep.

I paddled my Kayak to outside the breakwater of the Elliott Bay Marina for the first time. I launched from the little known Magnolia Beach that is for non-motorized boats only. Note: the marina is private with locked gates and does not provide access to the water unless you belong, so this beach makes for good access to the breakwater.

The beach is at the end of 32nd ave in the Magnolia neighborhood. I discovered it while searching for real estate. Here's a link to google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6322.../data=!3m1!1e3

Here's a very short video that shows looking west from Magnolia Beach out to the marina:

https://vimeo.com/130056736

It's about a quarter mile paddle to the breakwater. Half way there I was overheating in my 7ml wetsuit so I slipped into the water to cool off before finishing the paddle.

I anchored at one end of the breakwater and then over the course of an hour I dove the length of the breakwater to about 15-20 feet deep. I was dissappointed. Despite the brilliant conditions, I didn't see any Lingcod. There were plenty of Rockfish and Perch.

Down at the far end of the breakwater I see a boat anchored, but no one on board. Later on my swim back I encounter a couple of scuba divers with pneumatic spearguns. They each had a Lingcod that they took in over 30 feet deep. That's too deep for me. We chatted a bit. They said they had a closeup look at a monster 50 pound Lingcod down there, with a giant mouth, and way over the 36" max limit.

I continued my swim back to my kayak. A large cargo ship cruising up the middle of the bay generated a surfing worthy size wave. I saw it coming and got away from the rocks.

As I was kayaking back around the bend I spot two more divers (free diving), hunting Lingcod. It's amazing to run into 4 spearfishermen; normally I'm all alone.

As I paddled back to Magnolia beach I was closely tailed by two Sea Lions. Upon loading my kayak atop my truck I noticed a couple more motor boats anchored off the breakwater.

Hopefully I can make it back out again before Lingcod season ends in a couple of weeks.

Good luck, guys.
Aquatic Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Elliott Bay Marina Breakwater

Always enjoy reading your well written reports, Tom. Thanks for posting them.