Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
GulfCoast Diver

Polespear or Sling for Bahamas

I'm looking to do a trip to the Bahamas at the end of this month and new to Polespear's and slings and looking for advice. Which is better for Bahamas? Size? Travel capability? Slip tip vs a single barb? I've looked at Neritic polespear but they're a little pricy for what I want to spend right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GulfCoast Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Ryfish

Re: Polespear or Sling for Bahamas

If you are shooting hogs in 30ft or less like a lot of divers over in the Bahamas it wont matter that much what you use. If you start diving deeper 50ft plus tackling big grouper and in some current the way to go is a long polespear with sliptip and a floatline float tied to the band or breakaway.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
GulfCoast Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfish View Post
If you are shooting hogs in 30ft or less like a lot of divers over in the Bahamas it wont matter that much what you use. If you start diving deeper 50ft plus tackling big grouper and in some current the way to go is a long polespear with sliptip and a floatline float tied to the band or breakaway.

What about using a reel line attached at the belt? I don't have a float line and looking to keep costs down.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
hatterasfreedvr

Just bring a yellow cheap'o 3 prong and a sling. Don't worry about floatlines reels etc unless you are diving deep as mentioned above. Spend the money you saved on Kaliks and overpriced restaurant food.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
GulfCoast Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterasfreedvr View Post
Just bring a yellow cheap'o 3 prong and a sling. Don't worry about floatlines reels etc unless you are diving deep as mentioned above. Spend the money you saved on Kaliks and overpriced restaurant food.

Booking up with another spearboard member who has a sailboat over there, so thankfully cost will be low. He said he's usually diving 30-90. But I'll probably be more of the 30-60 range.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
Ryfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoast Diver View Post
What about using a reel line attached at the belt? I don't have a float line and looking to keep costs down.

You can and I have friends that do but they are very experienced. But having a spear attached to your body things can go south quick with entanglement or shark grabbing your fish or reel locking up. Also current can make it dangerous more then floatline.

For Beginner I'd recommend a floatline if diving deeper then 40ft or so. They can be bought or made cheaply and home made float would work.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
GulfCoast Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfish View Post
You can and I have friends that do but they are very experienced. But having a spear attached to your body things can go south quick with entanglement or shark grabbing your fish or reel locking up. Also current can make it dangerous more then floatline.

For Beginner I'd recommend a floatline if diving deeper then 40ft or so. They can be bought or made cheaply and home made float would work.

Very true. I'll be looking into one.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Mighty KC

I have landed many a fish with the cheap yellow poly rope for a floatline, and a crab trap marker for a float. Granted, it was shallow, (80 ft or less) and the fish weren't too big.

One of my buddy's uses a belt reel to his polespear. He is a very experienced, young athletic diver, but the thought of that line attached to his belt just freaks me out. We dive on gas platforms mostly. He uses the belt reel so he doesn't have the problem with overhead obstructions. Me, im old and fat. Im using a floatline so i can let it go.

As for the polespear, i have cheap and expensive ones. They all kill fish. I really love my Gat Ku Nine'er. About all i hunt with now.

But i have killed some big fish with a yellow fiberglass. I would recommend that you use either a sliptip, or a very sharp single barb.

Hope you have a good time, I plan to go sometime this year. Would be nice to dive some clear water for a change.
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:54 AM   #9
Blue2u

Cheapo pole and a 50'yellow rope with a small bulb float used in pools works for me swell
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote