Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Habo

Not spearing, but looking to dive in Kona

Hey All. I am from Florida and will be honeymooning in Kona and Oahu soon this month. I have been researching things to do and am getting very pumped. Originally I was not planning to SCUBA dive, but as I have recently realized this is an amazing opportunity to experience the waters, I am leaning toward a dive or two(one each Island) preferably with a charter company. My lovly soon to be wife does not dive nor spear.

Please help me by recommending a dive charter for Kona and/or for Oahu, again, not expecting to Spear this trip, but......Blue Water Hunters website /videos are really tempting me (Mahi).

I am nitrox certified, and would prefer a dive less that 100 feet. I am only bringing my mask and would need everything else rented. Any input is appreciated. Mahalo for your kokua

Thanks, Habo
Habo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
9x19MdM

Re: Not spearing, but looking to dive in Kona

I don't have the name of the shop, but WAY back in 1996 we did a 2 tank with a shop in Kona. The 1st was a late afternoon dive with a the 2nd being a night dive with the Manta Rays. The Manta dive was very cool and if you have the chance, DO IT!!
9x19MdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Habo

Thanks 9X19. At your recommendation, I asked my local spearshop "Neptonics". Jerry Guerra told me to call Mike Hatch of Hatch Spearguns in Oahu. I did and he gave me a ton of info and ultimately agreed with you that Best Dive in Kona is the "Dance of the Manta Rays Night Dive". The name he gave me was Jack's Dive Locker in Kona. I made a reservation and I am good to go!!!

Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
blueopium

Plenty of good dive operations in Kona. Jacks dive locker is probably the biggest name. Kona Coast divers another. There's a smaller 1 boat operation called Torpido tours I've gone with, that did a great job. You'll have no problem finding quality scuba trips, lots of options, day dives, night dives , mantas ..
I have no info on Oahu though.
blueopium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:00 AM   #5
manoa matt

Just an FYI, it's hurricane season here now and we've been getting some heavy rains, with more hurricanes expected. It's been making the visibility poor and introducing a lot of bacteria/sewage/runoff into the water. Plan accordingly.
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Habo

Thanks Matt. I just called Jacks and spoke to Josh there. He said the two storms had not affected Kona West side(where dive is scheduled). Just a few heavy rains. He said the mountain range in the central area blocks the west side from most effects of the recent hurricanes/tropical storms. I have decided to only do the one dive in Kona in two weeks.

I really appreciate the heads up. Here in Florida, we do not get to see or hear ANY reports of those hurricanes in Hawaii, but I'll bet Hawaii TV talks about our Florida "storms".
Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
makoa352
HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA

Jacks Dive Locker over Kona side. What Moana Matt said, poor viz, high surf, run off. Call Jack's and get one dive report before you go. Plenty other guys if you like for Freedive. Rob White over at Blue Water Hunter in Kona can put a nice Freedive (don't know about scuba, we all Freedive most times) trip together. Or just troll for guys here looking for put one dive together. Depending on conditions, get plenty nice spots for Freedive-snorkel right from shore. Some of da best spots are from shore. Good luck. Hope you hit it right with conditions and all.

Aloha!
Makoa

E MALAMA I KE KAI
makoa352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Submersian

You said you're.not.looking to.spear, but top shot spearfishing is a good operation that works out of kona and Maui. If you want to freedive you could get a hold of them and just work something out. They have different packages. Jack's dive locker does frequent trips around there too. Have a happy honeymoon.
Submersian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Habo

Thanks SUBMERSIAN. After organizing our plans, We only have time for the 1 dive, unfortunately I will not get a chance to SPEAR. Thanks a bunch for the info. Fingers crossed for good weather.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
Habo

Just got back from our trip. Great trip. The dive was amazing. Visibility and weather we're at their best. Saw 4 mantas. Brief encounters but definitely awesome. Spouse did snorkling trip and was surrounded whole time. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone here for input. We loved our trip. Everything was perfect: Volcanoes, Green sand beach, black sand beach, Greenwell farms, Luau, St. Benedicts, Pololu point, South point ( I jumped off cliff), etc.