Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #61
OXN939
Reagan Bush '84

Re: Winter NC Diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
The best luck I had this year was not actually in the Fleet, but on the way out, stumbling across an old Log.. If you find anything floating that's been in for long enough to draw Triggers and anything else, there can be a huge vertical ecosystem going on.
Did this on a floating telephone pole the way back from the Norfolk Canyon off VB last year... Unreal the number of dorado under it. Did a few drops looking for Tuna, but they were nowhere to be seen... so we loaded up on gaffer Mahi and mondo Grey Triggers. One of the coolest dives I've done off Virginia even without Tuna.

Also hopped in at the 44014 buoy this past summer, which is 64 nm East of VB, and didn't really see much. A few bailer mahi swam by briefly and then left.

I feel like Hatteras is really the way to go for bluewater diving around here... that whole "Gulf Stream" thing is a big plus
OXN939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #62
Mahi Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Mahi Maniac, Next time you're in the middle of the Fleet, throw out your Dive Flag, make sure your captain is looking out for you and jump in. Many of the fish I shot this year were literally under the boat. The thing to watch out for is if you get something and it starts dragging you around. All the divers need to understand that the boat is going to follow the guy with the fish on and they need to stay with the boat. And if anyone gives you lip, let them know that you are well within the law diving out there, spearfishing everything except BFT. And they need to keep back a distance from your Flagged Boat.. The best luck I had this year was not actually in the Fleet, but on the way out, stumbling across an old Log.. If you find anything floating that's been in for long enough to draw Triggers and anything else, there can be a huge vertical ecosystem going on. One other thing we did a lot of experimenting with this past year was using FADS. There are some rules to this.. atleast up here. You don't want to drop a bunch of Hangups for the Draggermen who work the Flats in the Winter. So, all the FADS you drop, you should also remove. You don't want to lose them and start creating navigational hazards either. There's a responsibility that goes along with creating FADS. Realisitically, you need to be working with commercial boats that have haulers.. like offshore lobstermen.. for example, if you have a buddy who is a commercial offshore lobsterman and he's a spearfisherman, and you make him a killer blue water gun in exchange for him dropping a few FADS and maintaining them throughout the season and then removing them.
I don't expect much trouble from the fleet, we'd likely remain just outside of them. The boat following whomever has the fish means 1 fish on at a time I guess. The floating debris we find every so often but rarely this time of year and never with tuna underneath. The VA beach fleet has lobster buoys way offshore but we don't have anything even remotely similar to FADs around here to my knowledge. I wish we did, it would make blue water hunting a little easier to say the least.

And OXN939, isn't your Gulfstream run from VA beach about 60 miles anyway? I didn't think it curved too much further past us by the time it gets to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkswimmer View Post
Glad this is back on track!

I want to get out and kill some stuff. I live in Kitty Hawk and am DTSF anytime... Just dont laugh at my sweet orange wetsuits!
Mahi Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #63
OXN939
Reagan Bush '84

Nah man. It varies depending on the time of year, but the Gulf Stream is usually farther than that... to the point where it just makes more sense to go out of Hatteras. Any word on recent Blackfin/ Yellowfin down there?
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #64
Mahi Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OXN939 View Post
Nah man. It varies depending on the time of year, but the Gulf Stream is usually farther than that... to the point where it just makes more sense to go out of Hatteras. Any word on recent Blackfin/ Yellowfin down there?
Hatteras, no. But they had a good blackfin run out of OI about a month ago and if we have blackfin I'm sure Hatteras does. Like I said earlier I'm not dialed in on tuna off Hatteras as I always assumed most guys there caught them by running north.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #65
JamaicanMeCrazy
Will Bridges

Sorry to chime in late noticed y'all talking about a boat to get to the stream. I'm repowering my boat right now soon as I get a motor on her which will be very soon I'm more than capable of gettin out there. 25' whitewater with 200 gallons of gas. Throwing a 300 four stroke on her. I'll keep everyone posted and we can get a group of guys and head out try to shoot some hoos
JamaicanMeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #66
earesponsible

They are having good catches of blackfin now out of hatteras jigging the 230/280 rocks. Would be interesting to dive there for sure. Extremely sharky and lots of current.

I tend to bring my dive gear on the boat for trolling trips and jump in when the situation presents itself rather than devoting an entire day to diving.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #67
OXN939
Reagan Bush '84

^ Yep. Makes sense to have if you find a weedline, floating debris, tide line etc, but the offshore diving I've personally witnessed out of VA doesn't seem to be worth specifically dedicating a trip to.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #68
bleu
Official Sponsor

We're headed back out Saturday. Ill be trying a bunch of new numbers in the 40 Mi range. Hopefully it will be a good trip. Merry Christmas everyone
bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #69
Mahi Maniac

Just got back from being without internet in NC. Tried to run the boat to the inlet and maybe work it on R&R for stripers last week. Steering troubles stopped that (right before 2 great weather days too) but we'll be dealing with that starting tomorrow. Should have it good as new in a week or so unless it's something major. On the plus side we talked with a couple guys we know around the marina. Tuna are there, but theres been very few people out fishing.

On that note, NOAA forecast doesn't go into next week but the Nags Head weather is calling for light variable winds Tuesday. I wouldn't put money on them being correct but that gives a little hope for a nice day sometime next week, hopefully with a working boat to take out.

Also, Friday looks decent but maybe choppy. 10-15 W in the morning and 5kt NW in the afternoon. If anybody's running out with an operational boat give me a shout. My dive gears ready!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #70
Crusty Old Dive

Jon... Looking forward to our season in the NE. I have 30 days vacation and plan to spend at least half of that offshore hunting. Hope you had a nice Holiday with your family.

If I was living down there I'd be oyster picking this time of year too. Murrells Inlet mussels are some of the best I've ever had. I was just in Surfside and Myrtle Beach over Christmas. Everyone was bundled up while I was kicking it in flip flops and shorts... such a tourist HAHA.

Anyhow, birds were working like mad off surfside. Plenty of fishermen surf casting. Seatrout run right now from what they were saying. Any of you guys do Kayak or drift diving along the beaches off Myrtle or Surfside... or anywhere down in that area? The viz didn't look very promising though.
Crusty Old Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #71
bleu
Official Sponsor

Any one still diving? Im doing some maintenance on the boat and what not so she's dry till march probably. If anyone has spots open Id love to tag along
bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #72
Mahi Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu View Post
Any one still diving? Im doing some maintenance on the boat and what not so she's dry till march probably. If anyone has spots open Id love to tag along
Negative Sam. Our boat's still getting worked on too and schools started up again. Hunting season was poor and never even got wet but hey, it happens. And I saw you shot some nice fish!

March is when I'll be free again too if I don't head to Florida again. Boat will be operational by then as well and we should have all new electronics installed. If you wanna try up here or have room on your boat down there I'd love to spear some fish. And I'll bring the beer
Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #73
Paclc1

Gentlemen, id be happy to provide another weapon to the bunch as well as another set of safety certified eyes. You guys got my number just hit send with a time and a date
Paclc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #74
Behslayer

Just a reminder.. Ulusub Bluewater Open includes North Carolina and North. And with fishing reports like this, I'm hoping to hear that some NC Divers are running short on Wasabi.

For the week of April 20-26

Ocean: Offshore fishing was good. Yellowfin tuna were the main target for anglers fishing out of Oregon Inlet, and they landed near or at their limits of fish on most trips. The fish ranged between 30 to 50 pounds. A handful of bigeye tunas were landed, as well. The larger fish were around the 180-pound mark. Several gaffer dolphin were landed, tool. Hatteras anglers enjoyed great blackfin tuna fishing and boated some weighing up to 30 pounds. Gaffer dolphin fishing seemed to be picking up on a daily basis.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #75
Murk_Man'22

Any one heading out? Planned a trip for May 30 conditions permitting

Murk_Man'22 is offline   Reply With Quote