Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #31
jfjf

Re: Make Spearboard Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Great idea but then it might not get as many clciks and cut down on the owners income. Face it the owner(s) of this board dont give a rats butt about anything or anybody but themselves and money.
Do you have any idea about how much the owner gives away in prizes at the annual tournament? These prizes are collected as part of (or in lieu of) advertiser’s (required ) sponsorship fees.

You are making claims about financial aspects and priorities, so I’m curious if you have a reasonable understanding of the picture.

So any idea?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #32
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Do you have any idea about how much the owner gives away in prizes at the annual tournament? These prizes are collected as part of (or in lieu of) advertiser’s (required ) sponsorship fees.

You are making claims about financial aspects and priorities, so I’m curious if you have a reasonable understanding of the picture.

So any idea?
No Jim, they don’t have a clue nor do they care. The problem is not the PnR section but the fact it is the only section that gets regular new posts and replies. Considering the seasons for most fish worth spending the gas for are are closed on both coasts posts about spearing will continue be sparse.

I applaud those with more enthusiasm like Eric who regularly post on topic but he can’t even get anyone to go as it is. Hell, as much as I love to go I have had to resort to dragging my sled to the east coast to troll for pelagics which by the way is a great day on the water. Winter on the forums..... who would of thought folks would bitch on here like everywhere else.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #33
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
. If someone is writing code it won’t be free. It is likely an add on configuration option that has already been written for the handful groups that would require not seeing the bell peppers on the salad bar. My only confusion is if you know there is nothing in that section you want to see or read, why open it? I mean it isn’t like the peppers are jumping on your plate? Maybe folks have notices sent to there phones and it shows all new replies but I only thought that was for thread subscriptions.
Apparently some people are offended by the sight of bell peppers.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #34
CuzzA

An easy fix is to just subscribe to whatever forum you want to follow under forum tools. Click User CP instead of New Posts and you'll see the list of the forums you follow including the last post, which is dated so you know if there was any activity. It ain't perfect, but you can eliminate seeing the PnR threads.

Personally, I pretty much just stick to the Florida forums. I try to post trip reports, share videos, etc. I appreciate others that do the same.

I do believe social media probably hurts this board. Though others who have adopted more modern message board systems seem to do well, like XenForo. Nevertheless, when you have so many so called spearos that are more concerned if their fins match their mask than they do the actual performance of the gear so they can look good on Instagram to get more "likes" to feed their narcissism, they likely won't be contributing here.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #35
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

1. This is a SPEARFISHING FORUM
2. This is NOT A POLITICS/RELIGION FORUM
3. The new post portion of the board, actually what most people check first is cluttered with usually 30-40% of POLITICS/RELIGION section postings EVERYDAY.
4. There are people posting in the POLITICS/RELIGION that have NEVER POSTED A SINGLE SPEARFISHING RELATED POST.
5. In the POLITICS/RELIGION forum, people have been allowed to bash, call names and generally bully other forum members unabated.
6. This forum's purpose is sharing the hobby of spearfishing and associated topics.
7. How is POLITICS/RELIGION in any way shape or fashion part of the purpose of this board????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????
8. The first thread on new post when I logged in today is: why racism towards black people is hurting white people (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
9. Please tell me what in the **** that has to do with anything even remotely spearfishing related fashion. It doesn't, it shows that this board has degraded to racist and hatred filled topics and posts.
8. If you can't understand what this thread is about or want to defend what we are saying then you could be part of the problem.......
9. Its perfectly obvious that this board is done as far as spearfishing is concerned. It use to be the best, now its seriously a laughing stock of the international spearfishing world.
10. The owners are the problem also!
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #36
jfjf

Quote:
3. The new post portion of the board, actually what most people check first is cluttered with usually 30-40% of POLITICS/RELIGION section postings EVERYDAY.
4. There are people posting in the POLITICS/RELIGION that have NEVER POSTED A SINGLE SPEARFISHING RELATED POST.
5. In the POLITICS/RELIGION forum, people have been allowed to bash, call names and generally bully other forum members unabated.
6. This forum's purpose is sharing the hobby of spearfishing and associated topics.
7. How is POLITICS/RELIGION in any way shape or fashion part of the purpose of this board????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????
8. The first thread on new post when I logged in today is: why racism towards black people is hurting white people (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
9. Please tell me what in the **** that has to do with anything even remotely spearfishing related fashion. It doesn't, it shows that this board has degraded to racist and hatred filled topics and posts.
8. If you can't understand what this thread is about or want to defend what we are saying then you could be part of the problem.......
9. Its perfectly obvious that this board is done as far as spearfishing is concerned. It use to be the best, now its seriously a laughing stock of the international spearfishing world.
I was with you from 1 through 8... but you never answered my question.

I personally like the off topic threads, but think they are under-moderated and the name calling and some of the other stuff is pretty offensive.

It is hard for me to see why people find the inclusion of off topic threads to be so problematic or difficult to ignore, but I CAN see why the people who actually read some of the stuff posted there find it inappropriate and offensive.

I would suggest that people:
ignore people that deserve it (I only have one person on ignore),
skip the off topic areas if they are uninterested,
bitch to the management if they find posts "outside of the rules"
and make an effort to contribute to the spearfishing threads.

Other than that, the realities of the board are that off topic threads drive a lot of traffic which is probably a "necessary evil".
Old 03-29-2018, 04:44 AM   #37
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:

I don't know about nine and ten either. But amen. New Posts is where I go for the action. And the action is not about spearfishing.

This isn't a bell pepper at a salad bar, this is going to the all you can eat Chinese buffet and seeing that forty percent or more of the food available is shit American food under a heat lamp. It's not in the same ballpark. A bell pepper is seeing someone tell me I need an aimrite to shoot fish. This bs ain't no bell pepper.

They can do whatever they hell they want in there. I stopped clicking on anything in that section a long time ago. For the last time, it's not about offense. It's about this website and what the majority of content should be about.

PS - Obama being a Muslim terrorist isnt pulling traffic for a spearfishing website. No one is joining for that conversation.

I know and am a member of many successful forums. None have such problems. When I click on "new posts" I get new posts about the topic of that forum. I'm a member of maybe five or six such sites, and despite this being my primary hobby, this forum is the worst.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #38
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Don't go to the salad bar if you don't want to see salad. When I go to a news site, I see all kinds of stuff I don't want to read and somehow...I manage not to read it.
If it wasn't for the P&R section, this site would've closed up some time ago. Then what/where would you bitch about??
Fakebook killed the spearfishing traffic on here, not the P&R section. If this #DeleteFacebook movement (read about it in P&R ) gains steam, I predict traffic returning. Until then, put on your big boy pants, gain some will power, and stop clicking on things that make you cry...ya bunch of snowflakes.
BTW, I'd love to have the off topic sections not appear when clicking 'New Posts'...but you can't make someone your slave and force changes.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #39
Marcus

Quote:
Yea, this guy right here is part of the problem. You might want to put him on ignore.

BTW, that thread was started by a serious troll. The only way we could get him to stop is by shredding his argument. He finally had a melt down and stopped the divisive crap. He was also responsible for a leap in P&R traffic. We get a troll like that every once in a while.
Now watch some mental midget call me a crazy troll because he can't stop himself from reading things that offend his MSM programmed fragile world view.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”

Last edited by Marcus; 03-29-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #40
Birdman

Quote:
Amen.
When one of the best contributors to this site says this Tony should listen.

Last edited by Birdman; 03-29-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:30 AM   #41
jfjf

It is very evident that political correctness and other outright attacks on free speech are gaining ground in the USA. So I do appreciate a venue that provides very little restrictions on speech, not that I don’t think some moderation would be reasonable from time to time.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #42
CatDiver

The problem isn't that there are political or offensive posts. Just don't click on those. It's not some huge imposition to skip threads that sound stupid or get stupid. The problem is that there is almost no spearfishing content going up. If you want it to be better, start posting more spearfishing content. Everybody has dive videos, viz reports, fish pictures, equipment questions. Post them and tell you dive friends to participate. I don't do much but still fell like I at least participate with viz reports and a handful of videos. It's generally what 10 of us doing viz reports on the west coast of Florida? Maybe there isn't enough interest for a site like this but if you want to be better, make it better.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #43
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDiver View Post
The problem isn't that there are political or offensive posts. Just don't click on those. It's not some huge imposition to skip threads that sound stupid or get stupid. The problem is that there is almost no spearfishing content going up. If you want it to be better, start posting more spearfishing content. Everybody has dive videos, viz reports, fish pictures, equipment questions. Post them and tell you dive friends to participate. I don't do much but still fell like I at least participate with viz reports and a handful of videos. It's generally what 10 of us doing viz reports on the west coast of Florida? Maybe there isn't enough interest for a site like this but if you want to be better, make it better.
Unfortunately people like me feel why contribute when the site is just speading the shit topics, when those out weigh the real spearfishing topics it is not worth it. If the sites main goal is spearfishing more real people contribute.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #44
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Unfortunately people like me feel why contribute when the site is just speading the shit topics, when those out weigh the real spearfishing topics it is not worth it. If the sites main goal is spearfishing more real people contribute.
After spending some time reviewing older posts PNR is not your only beef. For someone who is against “shit topics” you seem to not mind stirring turds on occasion in both the spearing and PnR sections.

While you may not know it, this board was founded by Florida scuba shooters and was pretty rough and tumble in all areas. I’m not saying it was wholesome family entertainment but the board was thriving and almost every region was full of new posts. When Tony bought the site he tried to forge a blended forum of different group in hopes they would play nice but the free divers seemed to resent the overwhelming amount of carnage posted by the Florida group with less than empathetic responses. With years of moderation attempts the big contributors stopped posting due thread pooping for reasons like how some shooters do or do not dispatch their fish and here we are.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #45
Marcus

...and there used to not be a PnR section at all. It was put there to keep PnR out of the spearfishing section.