Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:22 PM   #1
floridascuba

easier way to equalize

sometimes I can get down somewhat easy, but most times I struggle to get to the bottom. I have issues clearing one ear or the other during descent. I can get them cleared, but sometimes it takes a bit of work. Any advice to easier equalization? I heard free divers will take mucinex to assist in helping to equalize. I try many methods. seems the dry swallow technique works best for me most times. But at times those canals want to be stubborn. I tried searching, but didn't see much. Or I didn't use the right phrases.
floridascuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
scottyah

Re: easier way to equalize

What methods have you tried? For me the old hold-nose-and-blow works best, the trick is to do it early and often. If I'm going down rapidly(underwater rugby) I'll even do it continuously.
scottyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

What Scott said. I used to have problems when I first started diving. I would wait until my ears started to feel pressure and then equalize. It is so much easier if you start as soon as you hit the water and equalize before you feel the need. You'll find doing it that way you may never feel any pressure at all on your descent. The more often you do it the easier.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
floridascuba

I start as soon as I hit the water. I alternate dry swallowing and hold nose and blow. Also works better going down feet first. It was never a real issue since I was normally diving 50-60 for the longest time. But now I am diving 90' more common now, so would like to find an easier way down. Reason I don't free dive is because of the equalization. Which sucks.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Sounds like technique is not a problem. If you are cool using medications then affrin nasal spray is a relatively benign vasoconstrictor and will help with swelling in the sinuses, and to a small extent in the eustation tubes, affrin will only last 4-5 hours so take the morning of your dive. Nasocort is a nasal steroid spray and will also help but will last longer than 4 hours (12-24).
Old 08-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
floridascuba

I'll try affrin. What about Mucinex? I probably have some around the house since the kids are always bringing home the funk during school time.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Is just one ear or both ears? I've a problem w/ only one ear being that the valve thingy in the back of my throat is wore out in one ear. This causes me to equalize and stop when my one ear is good but the other ear isn't...which causes issues. So my fix to concentrate on the harder ear as the trigger to stop.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
floridascuba

It's always one ear. But not always the same ear. One day it will be left. The next it can be the right.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #9
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Well, that's tough. Afrin should do the trick.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:13 AM   #10
Watergator

A few days before you go diving start practicing your equalizations. Just push a little pressure so you hear it "pop" then suck in while holding your nose until you feel the pressure like you're diving, then equalize them again. Repeat this a few times a few times a day and it will help stretch you e-tubes and make equalization a lot easier on the day of your dive. I used to have issues with equalization, but if I do that then I can usually hands free equalize all the way down without even thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridascuba View Post
I'll try affrin. What about Mucinex? I probably have some around the house since the kids are always bringing home the funk during school time.
Mucinex works to make secretions more runny and effectively allow them to be cleared easier. It just depends on whether your problem is from obstruction from mucous or from tightness of your eustuchian tubes. Mucinex likely will not hurt, but if your problem is not mucous related then it won't help.

Sometimes you just have to try it and see what works best for you.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
321_Spearing
Eric

FII teaches you to equalize on the surface right before your dive. Try that and equalize fast and often on the way down.
321_Spearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
floridascuba

thanks for the recommendations. Hopefully weather will nice where I can dive next week
Old 09-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~ 321Spearing !!! I agree, I start when I'm floating at the surface, I get both ears equalized before I dive. I equalize continually as I descend. Cheers.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #15
NC_Spearo

You may try a netti pot before you go out....The night before and early the morning of. It really clears everything out -

Then equalize at the surface and often as you go down. Seems like the more I dive the easier it gets...
NC_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote