Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
sos26

first trip

Just got down here for the winter and thought I'd try to bag a Gag before the end of the season. Did 6 drops on a tank and a half.. Saw lots of Go's and a few Reds, but like all last season the Gags are few to be seen.. The only big one that i saw came up to me 4ft. away. of coarse i was looking the other way.. When i saw him and started to swing the gun around he took off like someone lit a fire under his a$$......... Vis was poor,maybe 8-10 ft.max @ 70ft.
Did manage to pop 2 Hogs even though one was under my personal size limit of 18" .. Guess i'll blame the dirty water for that misjudgement.. On the last drop I decided to bring along a dumb Red for dinner.
If the wind cooperates, I hope to try again on Mon. After that it will be a winter of Mango shooting, like last year...

Last edited by sos26; 12-28-2019 at 09:54 PM.
sos26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:33 AM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: first trip

Informative report. Your location appears to be in a sparce location. 70 ft? That seems like a good ways offshore for that location. I know some peeps that do well drifting over cheese bottom digging up Firetruck Red Groups with short strong poles.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
sos26

I think that I was about 20 mi out .. Yes ,this was a great firetruck area but in my humble opinion it is being over fished big time, by a fleet of boats like i have never seen before... In the 80's you were lucky to see another boat all day. Now there all over.. I leave a spot , and another pulls in behind me ... Last year I had a boat pull in to me and ask witch way is redfish pass????? 18mi out.
Get this he didn't want a compass bearing, he just wanted me to point witch way to go..WTF ? Since 07 the regs for Reds have changed many time. I was suprsed that there were no changes this year.... Guys just keep going further out to get a couple....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191228_164027.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	244722  
Old 12-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
sharpshooter

You're correct about the big difference between the 80's and now on the water. Was out of JP yesterday out 10 miles trolling for kings. No luck on kings. Did get 5 nice Spanish mackeral. We, anchored on some new found hard bottom. While fishing, 2 guys in a white boat cruised by within 50' of the bow. The passenger was looking at the bottom machine while the other guy drove. Am sure he got the spot. No respect and courtesy these days. Just like car drivers on our roads and streets cutting you off, running red lights. Coming in on a out EXIT with the white arrow painted on the ground. Then, looking at you. Like you're the guy in the wrong. In the 80's, the guys in the white boat would of had 8 oz. sinkers thrown at them. Today, you do that. They call the law and you go to jail. We only caught grunts and small porgies.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 12-29-2019 at 08:49 AM.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
sos26

Yep no courtesy ,,,, seen my dad pull a gun out on some guys one day long ago..... they were the drug running days ,, plus he said there attracted to the big comm. numbers on his 34footer... They left .....

Correction on the report..... small Hog was 18.5 ,,, that's a releaf
Old 12-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I admire your restraint on the hog size, OP. The current sizes never made much sense to me given the amount of meat harvested. BTW, a dozen fat squirrel fish will give you a couple quart ziploc baggies full of delicious sandwiched sized fish fillets.
I was just thinking about rudeness on the water, maritime law, and repercussions of actions.
Not that I would recommend such actions but...I started thinking about the ramping escalation of encounters and the usefulness of spearguns. Seemingly, that firepower could easily be utilized in the form of a slingshot, using ice cubes as the ordinance that would quickly melt away.
I believe to be an simple adaptation to the speargun. Que Popgun Pete anytime to sound in on this adaptation.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote