Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
78sharpshooter

Anyone else seen a GWS in LJ this week?

saw this on the kayak forum 6-14-11;
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=10536

"Staredown with the Taxman at LJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had been watching the wave forecast the last couple days and decided it doesn't get any better to take out the kiddo. We get there a little before one and didn't even have to wait for a good time to go. We just got in and headed out.

After a quick mac minute at the bouy, we saw one of the cattle boats drop anchor on the NW corner and lines started flying. We decided to just get a little north of them and drift in. I had just put my line out and decided that I wanted to bounce the bottom so I reached for my other rod when I see the shape form in the water. He approached us with his dorsal out of the water and angled towards the front. I reeled in my line and realized that I just brought a mac three feet from his nose. I saw him drop down and come up on the other side about twenty feet out and turn towards us. I alerted my buddy about 100 yards away and he starts paddling (he has the gopro). That was when Mr. Taxman stops about four feet from me and we have an intimate eye-to-eye moment. He turns and scans the yak again coming alongside. That is when I get an idea of his size as he is about two feet shy of my outfitter. He drops underneath again to check out the hull and comes up on the other side. One more turn to look us over, then he turns, slashes his tail giving my daughter a shower and is gone.

It only lasted about a minute, but my brain will be seared with the seconds for a while. After the initial shock, I realized how close I was to a rectal cleanse. I have no idea what he saw in us, but he looked "interested" in us for something. We finished out the day with nothing to show, but I am satisfied with meeting an apex predator in his inviron so close I could have touched him.

My daughter was freaked out (she's 9) but didn't want to go in just yet. It was the cold that broke her and sent us in around five to a repeat cruise onto the beach."
78sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Myrran
Myrran McKeen

Re: Anyone else seen a GWS in LJ this week?

Wow. How long is your Kayak?

Edit: Just clicked the link and realized it was not your story.
Myrran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
toptuna

Ya my buddy Edward who kayaks out there said he saw one. Who knows
Old 06-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Dawn Patrol
/._.\

YT going off already?
Dawn Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
2859Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
YT going off already?
2859Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
JTFspearo

Typical. I love it how the guy on the second page blows up the bite and calls out spearfishers for the cp incident. People talk too much.

Getting more and more internet involvement from people who like to buy kayaks, paddle around for 2 hours fishing and then have a bbq on the beach talking about how they dodged a shark. Later on at home, they give out gps to everyone on the net.

Oh, they were on a red hobie with double pedals for extra shark attractant. I was there up north a few years back when a guy on a red hobie pedal yak had his nose of his kayak sampled by a gw.
JTFspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Ethan kills
OG Troll

haha we're famous!
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote