Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-09-2017, 01:30 AM   #46
spearq8

Re: First gun build, thoughts and pics

That is a lot of epoxy that came out ... that is why I think it is a good idea to have the blank lay horizontal while the epoxy is curing. If you keep it vertical then gravity will pull out the epoxy out of one side. This is especially a problem if using slow cure epoxy in warm weather ... the epoxy really gets thin!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #47
cougarprey

Thank you, I have my build table completed to a point that i can use it's top as a straight edge for epoxy. My concern before was that after clamping if I moved the whole assembly the lams would slide out of alignment, especially because I used the minimum amount of clamp pressure needed. I mixed the filler pretty thick so hopefully its ok, I will examine it closely. I am certainly not arguing your point, now that I have a table with a straight surface I can clamp to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cougarprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #48
Behslayer

I wouldn't sweat it. just make sure you give the straight and flat lams a scrub with 60grit. wait just a bit before you put the epoxy so it's not soon runny. make small batches so you are not stressing. either coat both sides or lay it on thick. mix in the microfibers or microspheres. you can drill two position holes on the ends when you line up the lams when dry. then drop a wooden dowel like a skewer stick etc which is slightly shorter than height of blank in there so it's not in the way when you compress but still holds position and keeps from sliding around. do it right at the end and you can sacrifice if you want. you don't want to squeeze took hard with epoxy. its not like urethanes or resorcinol where you want them clamped tight as heck. epoxy you want it moderately tight. squeeze out means you are doing it right... a wise man once told me "No Skimpin on Epoxy". Love to see that old hand plane.

ps I'm down in middletown RI if you ever in area stop by I'm in or around shop 95% of the time..
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #49
cougarprey

Jon, thanks for the tips and the offer, would love to poke around a pros shop, that would certainly get the wheels turning in my brain.
Update: Got the "T" epoxied on and it will have to hang for a week before cleaning it up and making sure it is square.

I was able to use the surface of my table as a straight edge allowing the laminate to be horizontal as a few people have recommended. Yes the lam is wider than the blank, I will be trimming the excess after curing. Got a Triton TRA001 router and will be mounting this afternoon hopefully.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #50
cougarprey

Made some progress, have a lot going on but found some time. Had a little tweek to get out of the blank after laminating the T which I did with the hand plane. Then I cut the ends flush, looks like there is a sufficient amount of epoxy in between. Used my calipers to set the fence and routed the trigger pocket out. Feels good to make some progress.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #51
doyenofcastle

Much better if u route the track first then trigger pocket ,using same set up for router and straight edge ,also if you like to make band resting paths right and left of the track before shaping the gun .do you think you will need a 4 inch behind trigger for load resting ?

Last edited by doyenofcastle; 05-01-2017 at 07:02 AM.
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #52
cougarprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
Much better if u route the track first then trigger pocket ,using same set up for router and straight edge ,also if you like to make band resting paths right and left of the track before shaping the gun .do you think you will need a 4 inch behind trigger for load resting ?

Hhmmm, I am not sure I understand your question about 4inch behind trigger for load resting. Did I put the trigger too close to the back of the gun? Hope not or this gun will have to get shorter!!

Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #53
SJSpear5

It looks like the mechanism may be a little too close to the back of the gun to properly fit the trigger in the trigger slot of the handle. It will ultimately depend on the handle you are using, though.

An easy way to estimate if it is in fact too close to the back of the gun:

- with the trigger mechanism upside down in the mech pocket (like you have it in your last picture), put the handle you're using over the trigger mech so the trigger fits as desired through the slot in the handle. Make sure there's enough room behind the trigger that it can be fully depressed and enough room in front so you can fit your finger (with gloves) comfortably onto the trigger.

- If the handle extends past the butt end of the gun in this mock-up, the mech is too close to the back of the gun.

If it is too close to the back of the gun and you don't want to make the whole gun shorter, you could add horizontal lam(s) on the back of the gun for a little extra length to accommodate the handle. Looks like you got the laminating steps down pat.

Gun looks it has the makings of a beautiful finished product. Good luck.
SJSpear5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #54
cougarprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSpear5 View Post
It looks like the mechanism may be a little too close to the back of the gun to properly fit the trigger in the trigger slot of the handle. It will ultimately depend on the handle you are using, though.

An easy way to estimate if it is in fact too close to the back of the gun:

- with the trigger mechanism upside down in the mech pocket (like you have it in your last picture), put the handle you're using over the trigger mech so the trigger fits as desired through the slot in the handle. Make sure there's enough room behind the trigger that it can be fully depressed and enough room in front so you can fit your finger (with gloves) comfortably onto the trigger.

- If the handle extends past the butt end of the gun in this mock-up, the mech is too close to the back of the gun.

If it is too close to the back of the gun and you don't want to make the whole gun shorter, you could add horizontal lam(s) on the back of the gun for a little extra length to accommodate the handle. Looks like you got the laminating steps down pat.

Gun looks it has the makings of a beautiful finished product. Good luck.

Ok, but for a mid-handle I should be good, as long as there is enough meat to attach a butt pad?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #55
SJSpear5

Yes, a mid-handle shouldn't be a problem. And it looks like there is plenty of room for a butt pad.
SJSpear5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #56
doyenofcastle

Sorry i though its rear handle even i TRIED uploadING aN auto cad file for shaping the gun but unfortunately all are rear handle .
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #57
cougarprey

Thanks for your efforts, I think once all the mechanics are in place I will employ a little of my own creativity, with influence from the many guns I have drooled over in the past, to do the final shaping.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #58
cougarprey

Got the track routed out for the UHMW. Went just a tiny bit either way and a hair deeper to make room for epoxy, then I will reroute again. Only way I could think to seal off the wood from the environment. If I had to do it over I think I would just do a wood track or maybe poured.

My next challenge will be drilling the holes for the pins and getting them square, i have a tiny cheap drillpress and am having difficulty determining if the piece is 90 degrees to the bit.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #59
Behslayer

Drill the first one halfway through. Then put the the mech on the outside of the blank and put a pin partway in that one hole then line up the other hole. This way you know those two will be fitted. If you are worried about your mech position holes not being square, you can drop the mech into the gun, put one of the pins partway in (remember you will not be able to knock it out from the other side yet, so make sure you can pull it out with pliers) Then drill through using the mech as a Jig to keep your bit from wandering. Put a sacrificial piece of wood on the other side so you don't break out your hole and it will be clean.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #60
cougarprey

Thanks for the tip, got it done last night.

I really took my time and started with the drill press. I cut a piece of 2x4 to support the other end of the gun so it would be as close to 90 degrees as possible. Really restricted by the small plunge depth on my drill press, only 2.5". I drilled in about 1/8 inch first and held the mech up to make sure alignment was good. Finish drill through was with hand drill. The mech sits nice and flush, spear engages perfectly without moving up or down. Kind of nerve-racking actually but it worked out.