Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
widefinopen
Andrew

Getting to dive spots on a motorcycle

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle to get to dive spots. I'm a complete noob to motorcycles.

My question is, do you guys have any experience carrying all your gear on your bike to the spot?

I'm probably going to get a 300cc sport bike, like the Yamaha YZF-R3.

Is there a nice backpack which will fit my longfins, 110cm gun, snorkle, weightbelt, etc??

Thanks,
AZ
Old 04-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Behslayer

Re: Getting to dive spots on a motorcycle

Have you seen surfboard racks for motorbikes? That's what I always used in Indonesia. Those are great because you can pack everything into a gun bag and you're not encumbered at all on the bike. Also come in handy if you get a few nice Wahooo.. Regarding a bike. I survived over 20 years of a bike as my only form of transport. I like low center of gravity bikes. I like these TW200's for cruising small roads, paths.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09ms_tw200_wht_s1_2978bd6d.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	232354  
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
SubSub

Getting to dive spots on a motorcycle

Dunno what kind of dive spots you're trying to reach, but a sport bike does'nt sound very versatile.

I'd rather go for a something like a BMW F650GS / F800GS or somthing similar. Dunno about the US prices, but here the R3 has about the same price as the F650.

The BMWs will be awesome for touring to/from your dive spot, also great if you have to go a bit of the paved roads and they often come with bags mounted where you can stuff down all klnds of equip. The R3 is not comfy at all, and to be dragging luggage along sucks on a sport bike.

Also.... heated handles as standard on the Beemers! Only that makes them worth every penny!

SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Behslayer

SubSub you diving at all in Sweden? I got a buddy who is a Spearo who is living in Stockholm working. Any good diving around?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
SubSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
SubSub you diving at all in Sweden? I got a buddy who is a Spearo who is living in Stockholm working. Any good diving around?

Not really. We have brackish water here on this side of the country (Stockholm / Baltic sea) and it's really murky, dark and cold. On the west coast there is salt water and much better diving, but regardless of where in Sweden you are all kinds of spearfishing is prohibited. You're not even allowed to own a speargun with more than 50cm from spear notches -> muzzle, and either way you're only allowed to practice target shooting, no hunting what so ever is allowed.

Sooo, if I feel a urge I can't resist I go do some dynamic in the pool. But that's not very rewarding for me, the whole experience for me is to be in the ocean. You of all know what I'm talking about.

Since I spend a lot of time in Greece I do all my diving there. Not much of a point freezing my nuts off here in Sweden where I'm not even allowed to catch dinner.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
Behslayer

I didn't realize that. I have buddies spearing in Denmark, Norway.. I found this ad in my Facebook feed recently for Livaboard Spearing trips in Northern Norway. Sounds amazing, I've had some customers go up there and Crush the Kveite (Huge Halibut)

https://www.facebook.com/borealspear...624563/?type=3
Old 04-10-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
SubSub

Yes I know! Norway has some quite spectacular nature, both above the sea and under. Don't know if it is as spectacular in Denmark, but atleast spearfishing is legal. Imagine my frustration beeing stuck in Stockholm.

Yay ! Hehe, no Sweden is awesome in many ways but this sucks!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

This will get you there in a hurry. you can thank me later.

https://youtu.be/lDi9uFcD7XI
Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
Behslayer

These rack systems are great for carrying a gun bag stuffed with gear and Wahoo..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surf racks.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	232373  
Old 04-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
FreediveCA

I ride a Honda CBR1000rr, and have owned a Honda CBR600rr and Suzuki GSXR600. I have hundreds of thousands of miles under my belt in all conditions CA has to offer with various backpacks, tank, and tail bags. I can say that the best riding day getting skunked would be the best ride home for you (no additional weight of fish to carry back). Imagining myself in that scenario I still would not ride. Now if I imagined a day it was a little cold, maybe a sprinkle here and there, and I am loaded with fish. I'd be calling someone to pick me and my bike up (no way I'm leaving that behind). This is coming from a guy who rides 4-7 days a week at least 60 miles a day and will only drive if it is pouring rain... no, I would not suggest a sport bike as means for transportation to or from diving. Perhaps a touring bike with a lot of luggage. Then I would only suggest it if that was the only means of transportation or if you really needed to beat traffic and lived far from the water. Really, the only time my car is driven is if it is pouring rain, my bike needs work, or if I'm diving.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #11
FreediveCA

Just a little addition... I even had times where I have bought shafts while on one of my bikes and have either ridden home to grab my car or have my wife come pick it up for me. Riding as much as I have has put me on the ground a few times with these CA drivers so the thought of going down with the additional danger of a shaft sticking out of my bag was never appealing to me.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
FreediveCA

One more additional addition... if you are serious about getting a bike and haven't done that much research or haven't talked with that many people who ride I would reconsider the R3. I am completely biased riding a 1000 so take it for what it's worth, but you'll outgrow that thing in less than a month. I always suggest a 600 as a starter. It seems like a lot of power at first, but you'll grow into it within a month. 300 will leave you itching for more the first week out.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
Yiannis
DEEP...DEEP…DEEPER

I was doing this for years on a KTM 660 and then on a Kawasaki Versys. I had a hard case in the back, with my weights, wetsuit, mask (in a case), etc. At the rear side I had a speargun bag upright sitting on the passenger's foot peg, attached with bungees to the bike's frame (lower), and the hard case (higher). Spearguns and fins went in there, so did the float.

I have added a thick piece of hard plastic inside the bottom of the bag to support the guns. For longer trips, or when I would camp at the beach to dive two days, a little tent would go over the case, and a backpack in front of me on the tank.

Maybe I was crazy, but I never had any problems or felt uncomfortable.

Worst problem always was catching a big fish, once I had to drive 50km (30 miles) with a 12kg grouper hanging from the handlebar..
Yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #14
whale tale

My setup is a KLR 650 with a Carver surf rack bolted on and a single saddlebag. It's my first bike and I'd agree with FreediveCA that a 600-something is the sweet spot for getting started.

whale tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #15
FreediveCA

Whale tale, where do you put your gun and fins, and if you shoot something, where do you put your fish?

600-something and a 600 should not be confused as one in the same or even close to each other. Yes, a 650 is better than a 250 as a starter bike. Yes, a 650 has 50 more cc's than a 600. No, it is not more powerful than a 600. You must keep in mind that you are talking two vs four cylinders. Not to talk high and mighty or talk down on 650s. I just don't want someone who is considering a bike who is not familiar to get confused.