Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
JetBoy

Newbie checking in.

Hello all! I just got added last week and wanted to check in as one interested in pillaging (in a spearfishing context) the Upper Gulf Coast region. We have a spot in Destin and I have a M-I-L in the Gulf Shores area so will be getting to the area a few times yearly. I've gone out with Destin Spearfishing Adventures a couple times, both very informative and enjoyable and am looking for like-minded others so that I may hone my skills to the sharpness of a spearpoint.
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
YoungMarine

Re: Newbie checking in.

Welcome to the forum and addiction. As you know from my other post, I'm interested in learning more about the Destin area too. I typically dive the oil rigs south of Louisiana, but like to dive and spear anywhere I can. Going out with a charter was the way I got interested in spearing as well. Joining a dive club and going out with experienced divers was the next step where the real learning began. So if you have some spearfishing clubs in your area I'd look into joining one. Good luck and safe diving.
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #3
JetBoy

Thanks YM! I'm looking to do just that - I think a club would help me to improve exponentially. I'll be taking the FII level 1 class in the spring when we get down to Destin again and I'm hoping some ATL/Newnan/PTC area folks are interested in spearing/freediving as well. Scuba seems kind of tame now!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Rusty Shackle

I am in Orange Beach for most of the spring and summer and am always looking for others. This forum is pretty quiet during the winter. It seems that most of the people (including me) in this area hunt in the winter.

Taking a free dive class is worth every penny. Before the class, I was skeptical and thought I was comfortable in the water before. Looking back, I was an OK snorkeler. I hit 60 ft on the open water no problem.
Rusty Shackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
JetBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackle View Post
I am in Orange Beach for most of the spring and summer and am always looking for others. This forum is pretty quiet during the winter. It seems that most of the people (including me) in this area hunt in the winter.

Taking a free dive class is worth every penny. Before the class, I was skeptical and thought I was comfortable in the water before. Looking back, I was an OK snorkeler. I hit 60 ft on the open water no problem.
Good to, "meet" you, Rusty! Maybe we can hook up! My mother-in-law is having a home built down that way right now and we'll get there fairly often, I suppose. The wife and I have a couple of condos in Destin as well so I hope to maraud the coast between the spots. What are you hunting in the deeper water? I'm researching now to gear up, gun-wise and be well armed for most conditions. I've mainly shot (at) inshore stuff with 75 and 90 cm guns so far.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Rusty Shackle

I am still new at freediving. I have only been doing it a year and have not been in the water since October. The deepest water I have speared in is 60 feet though I plan to hit bluewater this summer. I have a 3M open cell wetsuit and rarely wear the bottoms.

As far as the gun goes I have a Riffe 45 inch (122cm). I started with a float line but got a reel half way through the summer and it is the way to go. The float line gets tangled with other divers, rig legs and bouys. Also, spend the money and get at least fiberglass fins if not carbon fiber. I started with plastic and they gave me cramps in my legs.
Rusty Shackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Triton

We can get you setup with the right gear for anything you may come across in our waters, stop by or give us a call. Be careful what you research on the internet!
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
JetBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
We can get you setup with the right gear for anything you may come across in our waters, stop by or give us a call. Be careful what you research on the internet!
You guys geared me up perfectly! I just haven't needed to buy a gun since Jon always brings them, but my time's coming!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
JetBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackle View Post
I am still new at freediving. I have only been doing it a year and have not been in the water since October. The deepest water I have speared in is 60 feet though I plan to hit bluewater this summer. I have a 3M open cell wetsuit and rarely wear the bottoms.

As far as the gun goes I have a Riffe 45 inch (122cm). I started with a float line but got a reel half way through the summer and it is the way to go. The float line gets tangled with other divers, rig legs and bouys. Also, spend the money and get at least fiberglass fins if not carbon fiber. I started with plastic and they gave me cramps in my legs.
Hi Rusty, well, to be honest the first thing that flashed thru my mind was spearfishing, “bottomless”! Gives, “free diving” a whole different connotation! I need to get over to Benthic in December and see about getting a rig I can use when I’m not in Destin. I really enjoy the trips with Jon. He’s very patient and doesn’t laugh at me (at least in my presence!). It’d be cool to hook up and go around GS too and I’ll be looking for some deeper water once I complete the FII class. I think Mike over at Benthic said the winter classes were at the springs and I think, just for personal preference, I’d like to wait for the warmer weather and do it in the Gulf. I’m really impressed with everyone at Benthic and I hope they stay busy in Destin forever. I can justify having the condos there now!