Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Financial Advis
Maj. Shareholder Grounds

Scent control...we dont need no scent control

How the hell can you practice scent control when it looks like you are peeing on yourself. It was so damn hot that a short walk had you drenched but we were going to score during the opening of archery this year!

Todd (TBare) and I went up to my lease on Friday to get a quick piggy hunt in before Saturday deer fiesta. I went to a new box stand and we corned my favorite road for Todd. I sat in the box blind feeling like a turkey in a deep fryer. I wiped sweat out of my eyes so much they became sore. It was absolutely f’ing ridiculous. I got in my stand and MAN did it smell like hogs. I waited till sundown and the feeder did not spin (or so I thought). It had actually been set for 4 p.m. and the hogs had already been there and eaten all of the corn. That was why it smelled of pigs like crazy. Met up with Todd and we went to camp. He had seen anything either. The next day he was to take the oaks stand and I went to the end of the road. The oaks has been getting hit EVERY single day in the morning by some REALLY good eight and ten point bucks and I was hoping for him to get one.

I went to the ground blind and settled in listening to the pleasant sound of billions of mosquitoes hovering outside my blind. I think I want to marry the man that invented Thermacell. The feeder went off at 6:33, by 6:36 I hear a thundering herd come rushing in. They did something that I did not know a herd would do. They STOPPED three feet from the corn! They then milled around for about ten seconds and slowly wandered off back up the trail. Somehow I guess the cascading buckets of sweat pouring from me had tipped them off. I was a bit miffed but what can ya do. I decided to do my usual walk about and headed for the roads.

I headed towards the “favorite” road but took a detour to check the box blind. Nobody home and corn on the ground. Ok…..moving to the road I see the distinctive curly tail of Mr. Ham. I start my stalk on him and close the distance. I want to use the thirty yard pin and I managed to get within 31 yards. For all of those that think hogs are blind are full of crap. He made me and went running to the woods. I stomped off pissed and went to meet Todd. The damn feeder did not work for him in the oaks. I swear it is just a huge never ending battle with feeders. They break 3 out of 4 times every damn time. It has come to the point where I just buy extra feeder heads to replace the broken ones from EVERY trip. Really pisses me off. Such is the beast. Todd saw zippo. Went to oaks and fixed the feeder and then to camp to wait a few hours to get back in stand.

I went to the box blind and Todd went road. It felt like my legs were being fried like eggs in there with the sun beating down on me. It felt like I was diving because the sweat was running down my legs so hard it felt like I was pissing on myself. My socks were squishing and my boots were wet from sweat. Scent controls my ass. I am not sure if I passed out due to heat stroke or was just taking a little nappy nap but I awoke to the sound of crunching corn. I lift my head and I get tagged immediately by a 7 point buck and his doe friend. They bolt like lightning. RAT FARTS!!!!! So I sit and no less than 20 minutes later here comes a juicy bit of sow ham on the hoof and her brood. I stand and promptly bang the crap out of my head off the roof. She hears it and runs. I am starting to get hurt feelings here. I sit again and it takes about 30 minutes and a big old black hog comes sauntering in. I stand REAL slow, duck, and raise the bow. Ok…..the box is too small for me to draw in it. I lean out to start my draw and the pig tags me and hauls pork butt. I am now totally frustrated. I sit and nothing else comes in. I meet up with Todd and he did not see anything. Go figure. Slept well though that night.

I figured with 150 pounds of corn lying out at the oaks that there would be SOME kind of activity so I went there for the final morning sit. Todd wanted the swamp stand because it was one of the few that we had not fouled with our stinky sweaty self’s. I am sitting enjoying the dark and here comes a HUGE hog. It looked like a black Volkswagen ambling in to the corn. It was too dark to shoot so I sat blissfully waiting for the encroaching light. There is something serene about being able to sit quietly in the woods and commune with nature. Being able to gaze upon its splendor, and then, kill it. I just knew that in about ten minutes I would be sending a little pointy stick through his airbags and then listen to him become tasty meat for the freezer. NOPE!!! He must have smelled us because he ate a few bites of corn then hauled those delicious succulent hams and ribs back into the forest with an audible squeal. Ok…..what can ya do? I dozed for a few minutes and around 7:20 in the A.M. a fawn (really big fawn) and a doe are shuffling in to the corn. They got about 4 yards from it and WOOF, she bolts taking junior with her. I swear I am about to jump off a cliff. I mean CMON for pity’s sake can a guy get a break? I decide it is time for my walkabout. (Mr. Rogers Voice) Can you guess where I went? I bet you could. YEP!!! The good old “favorite” road. I sneak around the bend and I am looking right at a deer butt. JOY!! I range her and she is 55 yards away. I sneak to 35 and stop remembering the hog that got away yesterday. I am knocked, locked, and ready. She turns and I start to draw. You could not have shot her into the woods any faster if you had a missile strapped to her. Man I am over this crap. I start to walk back to get Todd and there is another fricken deer. I stalk her for almost 60 yards and…(Mr. Rogers again) can you guess what happened? I bet you can. Away she flew with an audible snort that sounded like “dumb ass”. Met Todd and he finally had seen ONE deer.

Just goes to show that when it comes to critters it can be luck of the draw. We went home empty handed and I am a bit frustrated. For my last bit of insult to injury when I drove to my girl friend’s house that evening there was an eleven point buck and three does feeding on the lawn of her townhouse association. Kill me now.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
FOWLER267

Re: Scent control...we dont need no scent control

We used to really worry about scent back in the day. We finally realized deer in our area are around people and man scent all the time. I still think scent is a consideration when chasing trophies but most average size deer are not usually that spooky(atleast in my area)

I dont' bowhunt that much but our season opens on Sept 1st but I always wait till it cools down like the first of October when our old season used to start. I sweat pretty easily and there is no way to avoid it when in hunting clothes.

When you cant' avoid it; you might decide to get the deer used to your scent instead. Keep putting corn or sweet feed out but tie an old dirty sweaty t shirt in a tree every time you re stock the feed. Let them get comfortable with the smell.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Old Bateman

You know Chris, if you roll around in hog crap, they'll think you are one of their own!

http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/#
Old Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
westpalmspearo
TEAM MAKO

damn chris i hope we have better luck
ill bring the scent block.....

FLORIDA FREEDIVERS
PALM BEACH FREEDIVERS
[url=www.makospearguns.com]MAKO SPEARGUNS
westpalmspearo is offline   Reply With Quote