Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
gonetobaja
Underwater Sherpa

The truth about limits in Mexico

I have gotten so many PMs and e mails and had conversations with people that all are under the impression that the legal limit for spearfishing in Mexico is 10 fish per day.

Here are the explanations I get:

1. It dosent matter cause no one checks me, theres on one even out there.
2. The panga guy said it was cool
3. The military stopped me and they said no problem
4. Ill just say the extra fish is for someone else.
5 The regs say 10 fish dude.

There are a few more good ones but I have to tell ya, when a certain boat with some guys with guns in it called "PROFEPA" comes around you are gonna be in for an encounter that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Rather than listen to your friends, or a friend of a friend, read the rules yourself.

Here is the link to the Bag and Take limits. These are the rules you will be held accountable for.

http://www.conapescasandiego.org/con...nt=REGULATIONS

Also smuggling gulf grouper across the border into california is illegal.

I will be meeting with the head of SAGARPA in San Felipe at the end of next month. He covers all the way down to Bay of LA. yea, Im gonna say something.

For those of you who would just take 10 fish per day anyways, thats called poaching and we already have plenty of that going on without tourists coming down and adding to the issue. Its already bad enough that people come down and shoot Garabaldis and Golden grouper cause their "really cool looking" instead of targeting real fish. But there will always be that kind of stuff done by newbs who cant locate a real fish and are desperate to pull the trigger.

At least thats legal, although lame it is legal.

Please follow the laws when you are down in Mexico or you may find out what happens when you dont. You wont like it.

Dale
Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
mochosla

Re: The truth about limits in Mexico

Thank you for sharing. I have a hard time understanding how some people think its okay to go to another country to break the rules. Then they get busted and believe that their US Citizenship will save their ass. They way I see it, follow the same protocol and behavior as in the US and you will be fine.

email me @

mochosla@yahoo.com
mochosla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
cksea

"Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items."

This one gets violated the most when trolling.
cksea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Deadmanh

Thanks for pointing it out. I didn't know. My limited H&L fishing experience in MX lead me to believe it was 10. I was CLEARLY WRONG, but I have yet to spear MX. When I go, I'll be sure learn the regs as best as I can, and go with someone who knows what is legal.
Deadmanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
tailsurfer

The guys down in Cabo, San jose, and Lapaz stick to the regs pretty good from my experience.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
gonetobaja
Underwater Sherpa

I just wanted to have the proper stuff posted up. Regs can be confusing in any country and Mexico is no exception.

Ive been hearing lots of confusion over the limits thing. The way it was "clarified" to me one day was that if there is a gun in the boat, and 1 fish with a hole in it, your limit is 5 fish.

If you have a gun in the boat but you dont use it, and all your fish are line caught its 10 plus you have to take in account the various species adjustments if necessary.

I dont know many things that are more life centering than hunting a Leopard Grouper and then getting it and pulling it from a cave. If I could bottle that feeling or put it in a pill I could be rich.

Dale
Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cksea View Post
"Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items."

This one gets violated the most when trolling.
I can't believe that the marlin boats obey that one.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
gonetobaja
Underwater Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanh View Post
Thanks for pointing it out. I didn't know. My limited H&L fishing experience in MX lead me to believe it was 10. I was CLEARLY WRONG, but I have yet to spear MX. When I go, I'll be sure learn the regs as best as I can, and go with someone who knows what is legal.

I know people that have for years been spearing in Mexico and to this day think the limit is 10 fish by spear. Your not the only one, just the only one that would admit it.

Believe it or not, there is a guy who was busted with a Totuava, he ended up paying thousands in fines in order to keep his boat and stay our of jail. You will never hear about it. That guy never came back to town.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

The way I see it, the idiots who don't read and understand the limits and species down there are the same ones that don't read and understand the rules up here either.
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
"AbelBrown"

Thanks gonetobaja for the info.
"AbelBrown" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
HeadlessHunter

I didn't know 1 Dorado counts as 5 fish (but I've never shot one down there either.) Shoot one and you are done for the day! That blows especially considering it's widely known the Mexican commercial fisherman illegally overfish the hell out of the species in the Cortez while officials turn a blind eye to it. There was a great documentary where an ex-pat follows an 18 wheeler from the docks up through the border where the load passes right through the border check with no issues. It's probably sold as domestic product too once packaged.

The documentary: http://sancarlos.tv/portfolio/a-fish-made-of-gold/
HeadlessHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Postmortem
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessHunter View Post
I didn't know 1 Dorado counts as 5 fish (but I've never shot one down there either.) Shoot one and you are done for the day! That blows especially considering it's widely known the Mexican commercial fisherman illegally overfish the hell out of the species in the Cortez while officials turn a blind eye to it. There was a great documentary where an ex-pat follows an 18 wheeler from the docks up through the border where the load passes right through the border check with no issues. It's probably sold as domestic product too once packaged.

The documentary: http://sancarlos.tv/portfolio/a-fish-made-of-gold/
2 Dorado count as 5 I believe:

"or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples from this group are allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit."
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
HeadlessHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearbodj View Post

"or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples from this group are allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit."
Oops. Skimmed it with a head cold. Never the less, it's always a bummer when a massive violation is knowingly taking place on the commercial side while others play by the rules. Typical of Mex though.
HeadlessHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
freeride
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearbodj View Post

Actually the way it is written is that you may not have more than two of these 4 species, and each of those two count as 5 toward the 10 fish limit. So in the case of a 5 fish limit it stands to reason the 1 of these 4 species would count as 5 and fill the bag limit for the day.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
freeride
Joe

Of course you could always just keep everything you catch regardless of size with no licence like the illegal mexicans do here in the US. The difference is that there would likely be some enforcement in mexico if you were caught. Go ahead and flame me all you want but we all know it is true.