Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
R.Boonfield

Considering creating a reasonably priced travel case for spearfishing gear

Hello,

I am hoping that you all can help me figure out if I should create this product. I recently went to hawaii and wanted to bring my spear gear. When I searched online for a travel case for my gun and fins so that they would be protected, I found that the cheapest hard travel cases were ~$200. That is insane. Gear is so expensive already I am not trying to drop that much money just to get my stuff somewhere else. As a result, I passed on bringing my gear. I am hoping to create a hard travel case for cheap, but I need some info from the spearfishing community first. If you could please answer the following questions, even if you would never buy something like this, it would be super helpful! Can you please answer the following:

Would you consider bringing your gear to some other location via plane?

If no, why not?

If yes, would you consider buying a hard case?

Which of your gear would you want to ensure is protected by a hard case?

What do you think is a reasonable price for a hard case?

Is there any specific feature that you would like your hard case to have?

Thanks to everyone who responds.
R.Boonfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Re: Considering creating a reasonably priced travel case for spearfishing gear

I think a lot of guys who travel with their gear, like the Sportube. An extra bag is going to count (for airline baggage) as an extra bag so you might as well make it big enough to carry more than just a gun and be able to push the baggage allowance without surpassing it. Adjusting the length is key. I use a soft (gun/gear) bag inside my sport tube, then travel with just the padded soft bag at the destination.

If the sportube were lighter and padded, I would not need the soft case but adding and removing gear in a Sportube is a PITA. Clam shell design would be much better if I were to consider using a hard case as my only case.

Fins and gun and shafts are what I would need protected.

I made up a bunch of padded gear bags in Indo that were designed to fill the dimensions of the sport tube 2.

I have thought about smaller PVC case for my guns and put inside a soft case. That might be a good option. Maybe wide enough to protect the your fins on one side. Like a sport tube 2 but not so deep and without the wheels. Easier to access your gear and a hard case for only what you need protected.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
R.Boonfield

Thanks! That is helpful. Sportube is too expensive especially for what you get.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
CuzzA

If I were going to travel on a plane with my gun I would probably just wrap the gun in bubble wrap and toss it and my fins in a soft case for ~$30, like this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Fol...7BiyWmwMj13xEA
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #5
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Boonfield View Post
Thanks! That is helpful. Sportube is too expensive especially for what you get.
I have used my Sportube II a lot. Airplane, local you name it I've done it. It is the best out there right now hands down. Traveling with mulitiple $1000+ spearguns I don't want to worry about whether when I reach my destination if my equipment will be in one piece and with the SII I can do that.

Think of the case as an investment and insurance.

Yes it can be a PITA to pack but, to me its worth it. I can pack 2 guns, spare shafts and all diving equipment needed for a trip in one.

A different design would be an enhancement yes.

I don't see the problem with price. Its actually a great price. Its luggage right? Check the prices of decent luggage and then tell me the SII is expensive....especially for what you are doing with it.

Gotta pay to play guys.
2fishin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
R.Boonfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
I have used my Sportube II a lot. Airplane, local you name it I've done it. It is the best out there right now hands down. Traveling with mulitiple $1000+ spearguns I don't want to worry about whether when I reach my destination if my equipment will be in one piece and with the SII I can do that.

Think of the case as an investment and insurance.

Yes it can be a PITA to pack but, to me its worth it. I can pack 2 guns, spare shafts and all diving equipment needed for a trip in one.

A different design would be an enhancement yes.

I don't see the problem with price. Its actually a great price. Its luggage right? Check the prices of decent luggage and then tell me the SII is expensive....especially for what you are doing with it.

Gotta pay to play guys.
Yeah I still think $200 for a carrying case is absurd. The goal is to create something that can be sold in the $50-$70 range. Spend that extra $ on gas.