Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Announcements and Rules > Spearboard Announcements and Rules

Spearboard Announcements and Rules Check here for annoucements on things that would interest spearfishermen, including seminars or other events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 88 votes, 2.76 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Welcome Lurkers!

Welcome Lurkers! Tonight there were on SpearBoard 105 people (29 members and 76 guests). That is a ratio of almost 3 to 1 and is typical of just about every day on this website. I encourage guests (who we affectionately call "Lurkers") to go ahead and get in the water and sign up as a member. It costs you nothing and enables you to post comments or questions, to start new threads, and to participate fully in the forum. Sometimes you might see verbal bruising and heated discussion. Sometimes you might see intelligent suggestions that improve the craft of the sport of spearfishing. Sometimes you might see off-the-wall bizarre behavior or questionable humor. But, let me tell you this: All of that is a magical chemistry that makes SpearBoard one of the most exciting and active places in cyberspace for spearfishing. The bottom line is that SpearBoard participation is great fun! So keep lurking if you really want to, but do consider signing up. Once you take the plunge and join SpearBoard, you won't regret it.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Welcome Lurkers!

Hey all you lurkers!

“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #3
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

See what I mean! That piece of wisdom comes from a great guy who had Curly (of the Three Stooges fame) as his avatar for the longest time. LOL But joking aside, Marcus is a very knowledgeable contributor to Spearboard.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
OceanEd

INTELLIGENT suggestions?????????
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
cerobit
dazedNconfussled

QUESTIONABLE humor?????

right, that would be inletsurf's sheep pics!!
cerobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:36 AM   #6
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax
Marcus is a very knowledgeable contributor to Spearboard.
Knowledgeable about how to be an ass maybe.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 02-26-2006, 01:43 AM   #7
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
See what I mean! That piece of wisdom comes from a great guy who had Curly (of the Three Stooges fame) as his avatar for the longest time. LOL But joking aside, Marcus is a very knowledgeable contributor to Spearboard.
Curly? I thought that was a self portrait.

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 02-26-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
mattymatt

I think the best solution to help register more users is make the all about guns forum and the off topic forum private. In addition, ban the mention of Rep/Dem Clinton/Bush Scuba/Free Florida/CA and whatever else I forgot. We will ease the lurkers on to the board before they realize what lunatics we really are.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
mattymatt

Was also thinking that the 3:1 ratio is significant in another way as well. It is just about the ratio of wiseass commentary to sound advice!!!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:18 AM   #10
mjphawk
Parrfect Weapon

Send a message via AIM to mjphawk

I think the off topic areas and the random topics are good. Those were the only posts that I felt comfortable posting to. Without them it would be even more intimidating.

Welcome lurkers. I definately spent my time lurking, but am very glad that I signed up. Skill has nothing to do with if you should be a member. I signed up because I had a question that hadn't been asked before (at least that I could find).
mjphawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymatt
I think the best solution to help register more users is make the all about guns forum and the off topic forum private. In addition, ban the mention of Rep/Dem Clinton/Bush Scuba/Free Florida/CA and whatever else I forgot. We will ease the lurkers on to the board before they realize what lunatics we really are.
You can only write/read about spearfishing alone for so much time before every topic is covered and you get bored of it. The off topics and commentary are why the membership is so high. It's entertainment and educational a lot of the time, generally more stimulating than the mind numbing drivel on TV. This is good being that a bigger audience is present to see the issues revolving around the sport we love...and that gives us an opportunity to act on them before it's too late.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
junior

Someone who is too put off by all the BS banter in the areas of the board not directly related to spearfishing is probably a real hoot to hang out with anyway If not for spearboard, unfortunately I would probably know the names of everyone on American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and god knows what else my wife finds to be mentally stimulating on the low channels of the tube
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
mattymatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
You can only write/read about spearfishing alone for so much time before every topic is covered and you get bored of it. The off topics and commentary are why the membership is so high. It's entertainment and educational a lot of the time, generally more stimulating than the mind numbing drivel on TV. This is good being that a bigger audience is present to see the issues revolving around the sport we love...and that gives us an opportunity to act on them before it's too late.
Agreed!!!!!

Dont really want admin to listen to my suggestions, just bantering until ice dancing is on again.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
jfjf

Quote:

Bid deal he traded in one old clown for another. I would rather see Curly
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjfjfj
Bid deal he traded in one old clown for another. I would rather see Curly
How 'bout both of them at the same time??

Aww look, I made your avatar crack up.