Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Unable to load new spear gun

Have your girlfriend/mom load it for you.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Dheuschele

Thank you guys all of you! Very helpful ill look into the new bands, my brother who benches 300 even had trouble with it, also the spears hack where I bought it from said it was extremely difficult to load. But I'll definitely look into longer and 16 mm bands. I appreciate the help
Dheuschele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
hatterasfreedvr

Have you tried to load it grabbing the bands overhanded? Guaranteed you can load it.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
Dheuschele

Also my mistake guys it's 105 cm not 75!
Dheuschele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #20
Diablo Loco

That's ok. Still going with the 16mm or 5/8" bands. Then you'll need the length to be 26cm bands if they are the dual screw-in type and 58cm if its a single band.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
skinneej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Have your girlfriend/mom load it for you.
skinneej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
skinneej

Just remember, longer bands come at a trade off of power. I have the 54" Ocean Rhino and think I shoot a single, thicker (3/4"???) 24" band? It's harder to pull back, but I can do it pretty quick and the gun has a lot of ass to it. I grab the band underhanded with elbows out and pull against my thigh.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
johndoelman
KOAH Spearguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinneej View Post
Just remember, longer bands come at a trade off of power. I have the 54" Ocean Rhino and think I shoot a single, thicker (3/4"???) 24" band? It's harder to pull back, but I can do it pretty quick and the gun has a lot of ass to it. I grab the band underhanded with elbows out and pull against my thigh.
theres no way hell be able to load a eurostyle gun like this on his hip if he cant load it on his chest eurostyle guns are made to be chestloaded a rhino is meant for hip loading.
johndoelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
skinneej

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoelman View Post
theres no way hell be able to load a eurostyle gun like this on his hip if he cant load it on his chest eurostyle guns are made to be chestloaded a rhino is meant for hip loading.
I didn't suggest he run out and buy a new gun. I'm just saying that I have a pretty big gun, with a pretty thick band, and can load it. I think that the only thing that matters is, can you load the gun or not? I honestly don't care if he loads it against his forehead no matter what the design is.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheuschele View Post
Thank you guys all of you! Very helpful ill look into the new bands, my brother who benches 300 even had trouble with it, also the spears hack where I bought it from said it was extremely difficult to load. But I'll definitely look into longer and 16 mm bands. I appreciate the help
Its all in technique, listen to these guys about wearing gloves, and watch the tutorial on loading rail guns on the Rob Allen website. I CANNOT bench 300#, but I can load a 130cm Roballen with 1 20mm band. I have shoulder problems due to an old injury, so I have given the longer guns to my 18 yr old son. He's a smaller frame, but I have taught him how to chest load a gun, and he has no issues either.

KC
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
growingupninja
Lance

I blew out my right tricep about a couple years ago and couldn't even move the arm for several weeks. When I was better and able to hunt again I only had strength to load my 130 Euro about 4-5 times a day so I had to be very picky with my shots.

Low rows on a machine, through full range of motion helped a lot to rebuild strength for loading the gun, as well as pull-ups. I load all guns like Behslayer described--butt of gun in my stomach between belly button and bottom of rib cage, with an overhand grip, wearing gloves--basically a low row.

As far as weight training for spearfishing, I'm a fan of kettlebells as opposed to things like bench-press--you'll build much more functional core strength with kettlebells and typically not pack on a ton of mass which can decrease chest flexibility (which is nice for deep diving).
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
I blew out my right tricep about a couple years ago and couldn't even move the arm for several weeks. When I was better and able to hunt again I only had strength to load my 130 Euro about 4-5 times a day so I had to be very picky with my shots.

Low rows on a machine, through full range of motion helped a lot to rebuild strength for loading the gun, as well as pull-ups. I load all guns like Behslayer described--butt of gun in my stomach between belly button and bottom of rib cage, with an overhand grip, wearing gloves--basically a low row.

As far as weight training for spearfishing, I'm a fan of kettlebells as opposed to things like bench-press--you'll build much more functional core strength with kettlebells and typically not pack on a ton of mass which can decrease chest flexibility (which is nice for deep diving).
Agree with you. But as far as bench press you can do dime workout. 13 10pb pl8s each side. Start off with bar put one on each side. Go up until you can go anymore. Take 30 sec breather and work your way down.
Florida boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
B shift

Bench press and push ups are working the opposing muscle groups for loading a gun, try pulls and rows, pull ups, bent over rows, cable rows Ect... That being said a well rounded resistance training routine is much better then just doing one body part.
B shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #29
Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B shift View Post
Bench press and push ups are working the opposing muscle groups for loading a gun, try pulls and rows, pull ups, bent over rows, cable rows Ect... That being said a well rounded resistance training routine is much better then just doing one body part.
Everything works together. Core also has alot to do with it. Deadlifts will help alot also.
Florida boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #30
arice

I guarantee you it's a technique issue, not a strength one. Everything you need to know is in the previous posts. When I bought my first band gun (a 44 inch Riffe mid-handle) I found it almost impossible to load at first. Here's what I advise: Take the spear entirely off it. Put it far away to avoid any temptation. Then just hold the gun with the butt in your chest and practice pulling it back as far as you can and then slowly relaxing it. Think of it as your new workout machine. Do that about 20 reps per day for a couple weeks and you'll be golden. If you really can't do even one rep with the current band then get a thinner one.
arice is offline   Reply With Quote