Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #196
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Project Boat Discussion: Tips, Ideas, Mistakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
They are made from aluminum. OEM parts from other boats. Pretty cheap considering the cost of helm chairs. A hell of a lot cheaper than paying someone to fabricate the parts. An equivalent chair, like Taco or Llebroc would be around $2,000. All three hinges were around $35 per pair. I figure in all it will end up around a few hundred bucks.

Here's what it will look like when done, just not as shiny, but more funtional given my needed application.

The forward hinge is for a flip up bolster, not a foot rest. It will allow me to sit closer to the helm while holding the wheel, yet can be flipped up and out of the way to have ample space to stand without the wheel clipping my nuts on every turn.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taco-...96?recordNum=3

$2,189.99

Huh...cool. So the hinges are powder coated white?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #197
CuzzA

Yes. Powder coated. Being inside the pilot house should extend their life.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #198
Eibwen

$2,200 for a chair....

I'm sure volume isn't great for whomever manufactures these but that's stupid expensive. Provides plenty of motivation to DIY and I'm glad to hear that you are. That's a good bit of fuel $$ saved for when the boat is finished.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #199
Marcus

Quote:
Yes. Powder coated. Being inside the pilot house should extend their life.
I've never had much luck with those. It seems bare aluminum is better. When metals oxide they form a patina that protects against further oxidation. Not for iron/steel though.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 12-24-2018, 04:49 PM   #200
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I've never had much luck with those. It seems bare aluminum is better. When metals oxide they form a patina that protects against further oxidation. Not for iron/steel though.
Yes, cosmetically, the powder coatings tend to fail as the aluminum pits. Fortunately they won't be exposed to the elements 24/7 and I won't have to buy a $2,200 chair I would still have to modify in order to open the scuba tank bench. If you know of an alternative boat seat hinge that is less than three inches high, let me know. I'd prefer stainless steel, but those Taco hinges are $125 each, not a pair, each.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #201
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
$2,200 for a chair....

I'm sure volume isn't great for whomever manufactures these but that's stupid expensive. Provides plenty of motivation to DIY and I'm glad to hear that you are. That's a good bit of fuel $$ saved for when the boat is finished.
They're for an entirely different market than your 25 ft and under boat market. Everything in the marine world is priced stupid right now, though. Those poor saps carrying $100k+ 10 year loans on their 20 foot center consoles are going to be in a world of hurt come the next recession.

One thing I've learned, aside from power and electronics, just about anything can be DIY'ed on a boat, saving a ton of money.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #202
Marcus

Quote:
Yes, cosmetically, the powder coatings tend to fail as the aluminum pits. Fortunately they won't be exposed to the elements 24/7 and I won't have to buy a $2,200 chair I would still have to modify in order to open the scuba tank bench. If you know of an alternative boat seat hinge that is less than three inches high, let me know. I'd prefer stainless steel, but those Taco hinges are $125 each, not a pair, each.
You're doing a damn good job, my friend. Merry xmas.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #203
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You're doing a damn good job, my friend. Merry xmas.
Thank you, Marcus. Merry Christmas!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #204
CuzzA

So, we've had a few days this year the weather warmed enough to lay up some glass. The plan is to finish the cabin, some odds and ends, and then start fairing, then gel coat everything, then put on the pilot house and cabin ceiling then fair and gel coat that. Too much down time with the cold weather.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #205
HARVESTER

Quote:
So, we've had a few days this year the weather warmed enough to lay up some glass. The plan is to finish the cabin, some odds and ends, and then start fairing, then gel coat everything, then put on the pilot house and cabin ceiling then fair and gel coat that. Too much down time with the cold weather.

I like the construction of that Bertram hull w/ the solid molded glass stringers. My custom Ocean Master was built the same way and you will never have to worry about rot or delamination - you can see the quality and craftsmanship in the last picture...

You are doing a well-thought out job. My projects are also going slowly due to many hours at work, but one of my boats is ready for power and I'm looking into the 200 hp Suzy four banger for my 21 footer. Propped right she should get an honest 23 knot cruise and a hopeful 3-4 MPG. The troll should be ridiculously low fuel burn. My fishing will be out of Ponce so I will be doing much 8 knot stuff. I'm not commercial anymore so no rush/running over fish to get the high - dollar species....

Again, nice work.

If anyone knows an honest, trustworthy dealer in central florida who can install and service the motor and flywire controls without raping me, please let me know. Thanks.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #206
CuzzA

Forgot to update here from last week.

So I didn't like the OEM backrest and armrest brackets. They were cut pretty thin and made from 3/16" aluminum. Seemed a little too light so who knows the quality of that aluminum. Decided to rebuild the helm chair from scratch from 1/4" 6061 from a known local source. I still need to get proper fasteners. I'll probably use book/post screws so the fasteners won't dig into the cushions. I may rattle can some zinc chromate and just epoxy paint it or get it powder coated. I'm leaning toward painting since the chair will be in the pilot house and won't see much exposure.

Next update it should have the pins welded on, painted and fitted with cushions.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #207
CuzzA

I got the pins welded on today. Waiting for some more sex screws and then I'll prep it for paint.

Ran out of mat and resin again so I got more supplies on the way so we can button up the lower half and I can protect all of this new glass. I'm worried about too much exposure to the elements. I should have another update with the cabin complete in the next week or so.

I also picked up a couple pieces of aluminum pipe I'll be using as a telescoping table pedestal. I'll use the same pull pin as I did here on the helm chair. Plus some other clever ideas I look forward to sharing.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #208
grey2112

Quote:
I got the pins welded on today. Waiting for some more sex screws and then I'll prep it for paint.

Ran out of mat and resin again so I got more supplies on the way so we can button up the lower half and I can protect all of this new glass. I'm worried about too much exposure to the elements. I should have another update with the cabin complete in the next week or so.

I also picked up a couple pieces of aluminum pipe I'll be using as a telescoping table pedestal. I'll use the same pull pin as I did here on the helm chair. Plus some other clever ideas I look forward to sharing.

Uhm, where I can buy some of those, my friend?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #209
CuzzA

lol

I'll tell you what, they aren't cheap. $3 bucks each for the 316s, the females creating most of the cost!!!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 AM   #210
grey2112

Quote:
lol

I'll tell you what, they aren't cheap. $3 bucks each for the 316s, the females creating most of the cost!!!
LOL - don't they always?
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote