Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
ShipFaced

Re: Lake Champlain, VT

Hmmm and yet this link clearly states that the shooting/spearing of certain fish is allowed.

http://www.eregulations.com/vermont/...ake-champlain/

Did you read it?
ShipFaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
nilsonov

sounds like pole spear ok as long as you have hunting or combo license
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Yes, of course, I read it.

The regs are extremely explicit about what to do with a foul hooked fish with hook & line and declaring it unlawful to use a spear gun. Do you really believe that it will be lawful to use a spear gun (or a pole spear) to take Northern Pike and Pickerel given that you can bowfish only for rough fish (Carp, Suckers, Bowfin, Mullet, Gar, Bullhead & Shad)?

Here are a couple of links I came across that should make it clear as to the type of spearing allowed. http://lakechamplainfishing.blogspot...h-on-lake.html and Spearing and Shooting - Grand Isle, Vermont - YouTube

But, if you think you have it right, go ahead and use a spear gun or pole spear to take some limits of Northern Pike (five) or Pickerel (ten) in front of a game warden this March 25 through May 25 and let us know how it goes. The fine is only $25/fish.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
ClimbertoDiver

Shooting or Spearing: Shooting or spearing fish of certain fish, where allowed, requires a hunting or combination license.

So I assume there is a method of spearing without a "spear gun" then. Something other than bow and arrow?

May need a warden to clear this up.
ClimbertoDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
ClimbertoDiver

Shooting or Spearing: Shooting or spearing fish of certain fish, where allowed, requires a hunting or combination license
ClimbertoDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
ShipFaced

Called the State Police and spoke with one of the wardens for the Lake Champlain area, they advised me that spearing of certain species (including Pike and Pickerel) was legal during during the March 25-May25 season. I specifically asked whether a Speargun or Polespear was legal and the answer was yes, within season.

Here are the regs too:
§ 4606. Taking fish by unlawful means

(a) A person shall not take fish by means of explosives, or use explosives in any waters or have the same in his possession upon any waters, the shores thereof or islands therein, except for mining or mechanical purposes.

(b) A person shall not place in any waters lime, creosote, coculus inducus, or other drug or poison destructive to fish.

(c) A person shall not take or kill fish by shutting or drawing off water.

(d) A person, except as otherwise provided, shall not use or have in his possession for use or furnish for another's use, for taking fish, a pound net, trap net, seine, snare, gill net, set net, fyke net, set line, fishing otter, trawl or grapple, or similar device for killing fish or have in his possession such device on any waters or the shores thereof or the islands therein. Such devices may be summarily seized and destroyed by a game warden. Nothing in this subsection shall prohibit the taking of fish with, or the possession of, a spear or artificial light or the taking of eels with eel pots in designated areas of Lake Champlain.

(e) In Lake Champlain pickerel, northern pike, carp, garfish, bowfin, mullet, shad, suckers, bullhead, and other cull fish may be taken from March 25 to May 25 by shooting and spearing in other than spawning areas designated under section 4140 of this title. For the purposes of this subsection, Lake Champlain includes all connected waters at the same level.

...sooooo yeah limited spearing in Lake Champlain !!!
ShipFaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
Proulxr07

Send a message via AIM to Proulxr07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turyturbo View Post
I totally forgot about polespears because I have polespears. They did mention that any taken fish have to be hooked by mouth. Even if any fish got hooked during trolling, casting, reeling in but not in its mouth, they have to be released immediately.
They do that so people cant go crazy snagging salmon in NY when they run. You have to hook them within one inch of the mouth
Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
gfhLLC

Hello!

I found this post printed out and posted on a bulletin board in a fish and game club in massachusetts and copied it down to answer when I got home to Vermont.

the nuts and bolts of it is Vermont works with NY closely on Champlain regs, New york many years ago made the rule that spear guns were illegal, even to posses, OUTSIDE of the Marine District.

I saw several spear guns confiscated on inland lakes in new York.

I have seen MANY confiscated between Ticonderoga and Whitehall because spearing of many fish is legal in Champlain on the NY side, BUT not spearGUNS.

"Spearfishing Prohibited
•Spear guns are prohibited from use in the freshwaters of New York.
•Spears may not be used within 275 yards of eel weirs.
•Spears may not be possessed on any water in the Adirondack Park or within 200 feet of the high water mark of these waters
•Possession of spears is prohibited on all waters except where the taking of fish by spear is permitted....http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31416.html"

It often comes up that Vermont, that has a heritage of taking fish in spring with firearms, spears and archery does not allow spearGUNS...

but that is the case. Title 10 of Vermont has always stated that it is prohibited to use a speargun on any of vermont waters for taking fish.

This is something that would have been easy to change and still may be able to, but this year alone we are losing more and more hunting and fishing in Vermont due to city people relocating here and then complaining about the heritage of the place they chose to move to...with no vote the regulations are stating for 2012 that angling is the only legal means for taking fish on ALL vermont waters except for carp in the CT river and on champlain...that's alot of water suddenly closed after 400 years of spearing and bowfishing with no warning or reason, or vote!

so maybe spearguns on champlain will be a harder sell than it would have been now we have a Dem gov. again.
gfhLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #24
Oxygengills1

I live near the lake and do alot of practice diving. You wouldnt believe the fish I see including sturgeons. I asked an officer about spearfishing pike which are shot with high power rifles and shotguns every year from the surface. They said no but you can throw a spear from a boat or land or standing in the water. You should see that show. Maybe a group could get together to get it passed to allow us to shoot them. Water temp around that time is probably around 55-60 though
Oxygengills1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
lidiver

The laws for freshwater in NY are quite complicated, but bottom line in some places you can use a polespear to take "rough" fish like carp or whatever. No way to touch the prize fish like pike.

If you want to do some fresh water shooting you have to go to Quebec - Canada.
Stefan
lidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
mcmazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoTastic View Post
CAUTION: IT IS UNLAWFUL TO — "Use a spear gun to take any kind of fish from any waters."
so can they use it a polespear instead speargun?
mcmazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
DewTheDewDude
Eat Fish.

I was seriously considering moving to Burlington...I always wanted to be by the ocean though. But I thought hey?! Lake Champlain!? Figures there regs would be super rigid on both sides...I read all the responses and still a little in the dark about polespears though. Just wondering if that is classified as a speargun as well? Would like to know, because if there is an open season for polespears up there, I might be sold on moving there! Any info would be great!

Someone said that it is only $25 a fish fine? That seems reasonable enough to take the chance to spear up there =P Does anyone know how hard they are with confiscating guns up there? I would obviously have the appropriate licenses up there. I would just love to do some spearing up there.

100th post wooo!! =D
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~~ Gotta love the French!
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
DewTheDewDude
Eat Fish.

Damn Frogs....They make rude noises, unpleasant faces, and give you the occasional herpes..
Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #30
Daigz

Thumbs up Re: Lake Champlain, VT

If any of you still follow this page, the new regulations do allow use of speargun for some fish. Any that list "hand spear" cannot be a polespear unless you remove the band, otherwise it can be interpreted as a speargun. But there are a few open all year for speargun use on VT side.
Daigz is offline   Reply With Quote