Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 298 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #8851
Ad Hoc
More Vitamin Sea

Re: Santa Barbara Conditions Report "Perma-Thread"

Doing a run to the islands tomorrow morning. I have a spot open on the boat. I plan to be at the harbor around 6-6:30. Text if interested (909)638-6792

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #8852
DiverDave43

I will be camping out at scorpion this weekend with a kayak and know that the area is in an mpa. That said realistically how far outside the mpa should I go to find either YT or WSB?
DiverDave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #8853
Gray63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDave43 View Post
I will be camping out at scorpion this weekend with a kayak and know that the area is in an mpa. That said realistically how far outside the mpa should I go to find either YT or WSB?
I've kayaked from there to reefs for some Calico and bugs but never to YT or WSB spots. If you're interested in reefies I nailed some fat calicos on that kayak trip.
Gray63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #8854
CaliDiverDan

Dove Refugio today early morning. 10' vis max on the south side on the inside. Spooked and missed a decent halibut and got one barely legal WSB shallow in some kelp.
CaliDiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #8855
J(dot)
BOOM!!!

Not much action in town for the past few weeks, but it looks like it's cleaning up a bit this week. Would not be surprised if this weekend is good conditions (especially since I will be out of town).
I did notice that the kite surfing goofs are cutting in really close to shore, so be sure to bring along a floatline and float. There are more jet boats than usual too. They too are cutting in closer to shore due to the sparse and thin kelp... not as safe diving in town as it used to be...

J. Ritterbeck - 2015-2016 President, Santa Barbara Freedivers
J(dot) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #8856
SBH20Man
Brent

I dove the coast between 'fug and the Mesa on Sunday and found the water to be clearing up close in to shore but still very hazy & green in the beds in deeper water. Surface Temps varied between 65° and 67°. Managed a 12 or 13 lb halibut in about 10' of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today could be the best day!
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #8857
DiverDave43

IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!! After nearly 12 years and many close calls I finally landed my first WSB!!! It all started with a late phone call from some buddies saying they just got to the site and the viz was crystal clear. The plan was to hit the sand hard as we've been seeing and landing halibut (well they've been landing the halibut and I've been spooking them) like crazy these past two months. So I grabbed my gear and threw in a couple guns. I'd never dove here before and was only planning on hunting flatties so once there I geared up and grabbed my shortty triple band riffe 00 comp. As soon as I got out to the eel grass a legal bass swam right under me. I was shocked but thought it was just a fluke and watched has he swam just out of range. I continued to swim up the coast and found my buds swimming along the grass dropping down on the sand roads. About 20 mins later I hear a shot go off and headed over to see what was hit. As it turned out it was yet another bass. I tried my best to close the distance to put another arrow in as he was struck in the gut. However being that I've got such a small gun I wasn't able to get close enough to stick him. Unfortunately the fish tore off. So back to hitting the sand I went. After 5 or so dives and on my way up there they were! Only these guys were much larger! Well beyond legal and again past my 5' of range. I swim forward line up the shot and bam!! Right over the top!! At that point I'd had enough. I tell my buddy I'm going back for a bigger gun. I swim back to shore run to my truck grab the gun and go running back to the water. I'm nearing the stretch of grass where I last saw my target and can see one of the other guys is clearly battling a fish. He asks to borrow my knife and proceeds to brain em'. That's when things went quite. We spent another hour hoping to land another fish or 2 but they were gone. The other guys became discouraged and said they'd meet me back at the truck but I wasn't giving up. I've spent all these years waiting for my opportunity to land one and knew today was that day. 10 mins pass.... then 20.... then 30.... Finally after 45 mins my dream of landing a fish today diminished so I headed for shore. It was at that moment when I finally accepted defeat that Poseidon himself must have felt pity on me and gifted me one last chance. As I made my way around a reef and through some grass there he was montionless and giving me a perfect broadside target. I don't recall lifting my gun nor pulling the trigger but only a flash of silver and next being underwater grabbing my arrow at both ends with a fish on. Needless to say I will never forget this day and am glad to finally get the monkey off my back!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2610.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	234846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2595.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	234847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	234848  
Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #8858
Sanny

Nice going Dave!
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #8859
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Congrats Dave, finally got my first true shore dive seabass this year too, same fashion and same size. Forgot how good the little fish taste ����
Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #8860
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!! After nearly 12 years and many close calls I finally landed my first WSB!!! It all started with a late phone call from some buddies saying they just got to the site and the viz was crystal clear. The plan was to hit the sand hard as we've been seeing and landing halibut (well they've been landing the halibut and I've been spooking them) like crazy these past two months. So I grabbed my gear and threw in a couple guns. I'd never dove here before and was only planning on hunting flatties so once there I geared up and grabbed my shortty triple band riffe 00 comp. As soon as I got out to the eel grass a legal bass swam right under me. I was shocked but thought it was just a fluke and watched has he swam just out of range. I continued to swim up the coast and found my buds swimming along the grass dropping down on the sand roads. About 20 mins later I hear a shot go off and headed over to see what was hit. As it turned out it was yet another bass. I tried my best to close the distance to put another arrow in as he was struck in the gut. However being that I've got such a small gun I wasn't able to get close enough to stick him. Unfortunately the fish tore off. So back to hitting the sand I went. After 5 or so dives and on my way up there they were! Only these guys were much larger! Well beyond legal and again past my 5' of range. I swim forward line up the shot and bam!! Right over the top!! At that point I'd had enough. I tell my buddy I'm going back for a bigger gun. I swim back to shore run to my truck grab the gun and go running back to the water. I'm nearing the stretch of grass where I last saw my target and can see one of the other guys is clearly battling a fish. He asks to borrow my knife and proceeds to brain em'. That's when things went quite. We spent another hour hoping to land another fish or 2 but they were gone. The other guys became discouraged and said they'd meet me back at the truck but I wasn't giving up. I've spent all these years waiting for my opportunity to land one and knew today was that day. 10 mins pass.... then 20.... then 30.... Finally after 45 mins my dream of landing a fish today diminished so I headed for shore. It was at that moment when I finally accepted defeat that Poseidon himself must have felt pity on me and gifted me one last chance. As I made my way around a reef and through some grass there he was montionless and giving me a perfect broadside target. I don't recall lifting my gun nor pulling the trigger but only a flash of silver and next being underwater grabbing my arrow at both ends with a fish on. Needless to say I will never forget this day and am glad to finally get the monkey off my back!
You shot a WSB at the harbor?

Were you diving with Kevtgr8?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #8861
DiverDave43

Thanks Sanny and Salty_lovin'. Lompoc Local idk Kevtgr8 or at least idk his/her by that handle.

Last edited by DiverDave43; 08-15-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #8862
J(dot)
BOOM!!!

Quote:
Lompoc Local no but I've heard of guys shooting them IN the harbor and idk Kevtgr8 or at least idk his/her by that handle.
Just ignore him Dave

In other news: Conditions were pretty solid yesterday in town. Wind didn't stir it up too bad throughout the day. Got in at about 9:20pm and stuck a Hali just shy of 26" in about 30 minutes. Swam around for a while longer seeing several shorts from potato chip to football sized...
Should be a good week, but they're not in nearly as thick as a few weeks ago. You'll need to put in some time to find just a few stragglers hanging out in the shallows now.

J. Ritterbeck - 2015-2016 President, Santa Barbara Freedivers
J(dot) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #8863
CaliDiverDan

Maybe it's an algae bloom, but despite flat conditions, Refugio was blurred out yesterday.
CaliDiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #8864
Big_Berg

Any vis reports from today?
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #8865
diveRsurf
Brett

Hey gang, I have a pair of used Mako foot pockets size 10-11 that I'd like to give away. Hoping to go to someone newer to the sport. I have the clips and hardware. PM me if you're interested!

Brett
diveRsurf is offline   Reply With Quote