Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
Magno

Does anyone else use a snorkel restrictor?

I came into diving through the world of underwater hockey. As a result, I brought with me my large bore snorkel that I used in hockey. Large bore, more air. More air is good, right? Right. Sometimes.

Cut to a few years later, and recently, I'm feeling like the large bore is actually hindering me from getting a full, relaxed breath. It's hard to explain. Normal, tidal breathing is fine but when I go to take my last few full, deep breaths before a dive I've felt that the large volume of air and limited resistance actually makes it harder to "top off the tank". Try taking a deep breath through pursed lips and then try with a wide open mouth. Notice any difference? I did, and so I switched to a smaller bore snorkel but it still seemed too big.

This has led me to start experimenting with a restrictor that I place in the end of my snorkel. It's essentially a PVC plug with a hole drilled in it and I'm still in the testing stages with it as far as trying to find the perfect diameter hole, but it seems to be working. With the added resistance, my breathing feels more relaxed and I feel like I'm getting a fuller, easier breath.

The down side is that makes more noise than a free flowing snorkel. I don't know if it is perceptible under water, but I suspect so.

I am aware of the argument that one can never fully clear a large bore snorkel and as a result you're breathing "stale" air, but I've never felt this to be an issue either in diving or hockey.

My questions are: Does any one else have a similar story or does anyone else use a similar device. Secondly, does anyone know of any contraindications why one should not use something like this for safety reasons. I'd love to hear from PFI/FII instructors or anyone with a better knowledge of the physiology and mechanics of the matter. Thanks.
Magno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
hatterasfreedvr

Re: Does anyone else use a snorkel restrictor?

Are you freediving for depth or just spearfishing? I've dove with some of the best freedivers in the world in Kona and they layed on there backs while resting their heads on a pool noodle while breathing up.
For spearfishing and general use your idea seems very dangerous and impractical. You need as much oxygen in your system as possible to survive and not passout/become fatigued.
I am not a "certified freediver" though as a disclaimer haha.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Much like an engine (basically an air pump) there needs to be some form of restriction in the intake and the back pressure in the exhaust in order to achieve maximum results. Simply putting a massive intake and a full exhaust can actually hurt in some instances. While i have not ever considered this for out application it is an interesting theory I would like to subscribe to.

I wonder what kind of testing has been done on the human body in this application.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Actually from a medical standpoint taking in large breaths with slight resistance helps open up alveoli in your lungs that are in various stages of collapse (think reserve, with normal tidal breathing you don't use all of your alveoli).

When patients come out of anesthesia we have them use something called an incentive spirometer where they are encouraged to exhale and then take in large breaths from a device that provides some resistance during inspiration. The effect is that many of the dormant alveoli are stented open by the negative pressure.

What percentage this helps a healthy diver while breathing up and getting ready to dive, I am unsure, but I can tell you that it can make a big difference in patients after surgery or any other situation where alveoli tend to collapse.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
Actually from a medical standpoint taking in large breaths with slight resistance helps open up alveoli in your lungs that are in various stages of collapse (think reserve, with normal tidal breathing you don't use all of your alveoli).

When patients come out of anesthesia we have them use something called an incentive spirometer where they are encouraged to exhale and then take in large breaths from a device that provides some resistance during inspiration. The effect is that many of the dormant alveoli are stented open by the negative pressure.

What percentage this helps a healthy diver while breathing up and getting ready to dive, I am unsure, but I can tell you that it can make a big difference in patients after surgery or any other situation where alveoli tend to collapse.
Are these the same thins that open up when you end up coughing after taking in a biiiiig breath of smoky air. Dont they absorb more of the potential toxins that are in said smoky air?? I read about that once i think...
Old 01-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Marco

Well, I feel just the oposite; when I use a snorkel that has any kind of restriction (valves, etc), I don't feel comfortable and my bottom times get reduced dramatically. Mine has 1" bore or so.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Magno

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterasfreedvr View Post
Are you freediving for depth or just spearfishing? I've dove with some of the best freedivers in the world in Kona and they layed on there backs while resting their heads on a pool noodle while breathing up.
For spearfishing and general use your idea seems very dangerous and impractical. You need as much oxygen in your system as possible to survive and not passout/become fatigued.
I am not a "certified freediver" though as a disclaimer haha.
I do both, but primarily spearfish. As far as the quantity of O2 I'm taking in, I don't think that is an issue. During breathe up, I'm taking in the same if not more amount of O2, just over a slightly longer period. When I surface, my first few breaths are head out of the water without a snorkel anyway so there is no restriction involved here.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
Magno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post

Very interesting, thanks.