Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
ajw11

Upper Peninsula Michigan

Anyone been diving up there? I'm taking a trip up to visit my girlfriend's family who live right on Superior and am considering bringing my gear if it's worth the effort.

IG: @captainwelch
ajw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
Decostanza

Re: Upper Peninsula Michigan

ajw11,
I might have some info that will be helpful for you. I dive the Great Lakes with regular frequency and the wreck diving is fantastic! Wrecks for all skill sets but the ones below 140' are the best as they are very much intact and look like the day they went down. Below 80'-90' you will be in temps from 39F-43F and most folks dive it with a drysuit. It can and is done with a 7mm as well. We were diving a wreck a week ago and there was a couple knot current but not much compared to ocean diving.

The wrecks are protected so no souvenir hunting, thus why the wrecks are in fantastic shape. many went down in the mid-late 1800's as well as there are more modern wreck deliberately sank as habitats for marine life. Lots of operators for charters and many are very cool. They cater equally well to rec and tech divers.

As far as spearfishing the Great Lakes (if that is what you are looking for) I can't comment about that as I live in Indiana. I have been told by sources over the years that it isn't allowed, but I haven't looked in to that reg in a few years. I'm amazed at the lack of life on the wrecks compared to ocean wrecks...unless you consider zebra mussels...and they are everywhere.

Hope this helps and have fun,
Don
Old 08-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Colo Hammerhead

Headed up to the Iron River, UP are this next weekend through the following week, if anyone is lurking on the board in that area please let me know how / where to spear!
Colo Hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Suggestions:
* In the UP, you will be diving in Lake Superior or Lake Michigan, depending on which coast you are on. You COULD dive an inland lake, but most of them are going to be too boggy/browned with tannin, to make it worth your while.
*If you are on the south coast, (lake Michigan), and if you are close to Wisconsin, consider driving into Wisconsin and picking up a 1 or 3 day liscense so you can spear perch and panfish. I have no other advice for the Michigan part of that coast, other than diving to look around.
* If you are on the Northern, (Lake Superior), coast; bring a wetsuit. The warmest the water gets is mid 50's farenheit. The water is insanely clear, there are hardly any zebra or quagga mussels. There are also less fish compared to the other lakes. You could run into carp if you're in MQT harbor, but diving in Lk Superior is better if you leave the spear at home and just check out the awesome scenery underwater.
If you go to Marquette and the weather is good, you can shore dive off the Black Rocks in the Presque Isle park. You can either kick around where people cliff jump, or (better), from the other side of the rocks and head in the direction of Partridge and Middle Islands. There are some great views down there with massive rocks, etc... I found the slide of a handgun down there once.
Just make sure you don't take the weather lightly. If there is any significant wave action, don't swim across the fron of the rocks unless you're a decent distance away. When the wind is blowing on shore, it's like a hammer and anvil.

Iron river is kind of in the middle of nothing as far as diving is concerned, so you have your pick of the above if you're willing to drive an hour.

You could ask around and see if locals dive somewhere inland. Some of those lakes are small but deep.

Good luck, have fun. Get some jerky at Gustavsons in Brevort. Don't get tagged by the staties.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Colo Hammerhead

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on staying inland and familiar with the Tannins, I was hoping someone knew a lake or two with better clarity. I'm actually staying at my cabin in Wisconsin, but the regs there don't allow for spearing in the 3 counties in and next to where my cabin is. I grew up spearing Lake Michigan for JUMBO perch in the SE corner of Wisconsin and have just recently gotten back into spearing after moving to CO 10 years ago. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Say what!? I didn't know there were closed counties in WI. I'll have to be careful where I go in the future!

I'm not sure about inland lakes near Iron River. Some of the lakes in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore are clear, like Big Beaver, but that's a big drive...

Check this site out. YMMV, but it's a place to start for vis.
http://miwebmapper.er.usgs.gov/CMILakesRS/
Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
Colo Hammerhead

Thanks for the site. I'll check them out when I get a chance. With regard to counties close to spearing in Wisconsin I think It's only 3 counties I believe: Forest, Vilas, and Iron I think. I think it has to do with the government allowing the native American tribes to spear walleyes. But don't quote me on that!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
ajw11

Thanks for the help Mike and Decostanza! Really appreciate it. I go up there once a year so maybe next time with a little more planning I'll bring my gun but for this short trip I think I'll just take the basics.

Coho - Too bad you'll be so far away or we'd be able to link up for a dive. I'll be without a car unfortunately and stuck in Marquette.

IG: @captainwelch
ajw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
Colo Hammerhead

I got family obligations too, so I'll be lucky to sneak a dive in myself but it's fun to Dream!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
jbsrq

Old thread but haven't been able to find much information. I am going to my in-laws cabin on the UP, south shore of Lake Superior, this week. I've been a few times and the water is insanely clear so was thinking of bringing freedive gear and a go pro. Question is, can you shoot fish in this area and if so can someone point me to the regulations?
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

Look up the MI DNR fishing booklet for the year and it's on Page 16.

Bowfin, Bullheads,
Burbot, Carp, Catfish,
Cisco, Drum, Gizzard
Shad, Goldfish, Grass
Carp, Longnose Gar,
Smelt, **Suckers,
Whitefish

It's on you to read the section and be careful if you get into a river mouth that it isn't a trout stream.