Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
newbiefreediver

Lobstering in Elliott Key

Hey guys this is my firstpost on the forum. I went lobstering for the first time on saturday. We went through caesars creek and dove in about 8-13 feet of water. The visibility was terrible and very few bugs only smalls. Anyone have any tips on diving for bugs off of elliot key? Some spots would be nice lol. Im just kidding no one would give up their precious spots! Good luck and stay safe!
newbiefreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Spear O

Re: Lobstering in Elliott Key

Depth really has nothing to do with it. It's all environment. Look for coral heads, big caves and rock with lots of holes. I have spots in 8-12 ft and spots in 35ft+. It just takes time to develop a good routine. I've been diving the reefs off Eliot for 7 years and find new spots every trip. Just have patience and put in the time and you'll find good areas.
Spear O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
newbiefreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear O View Post
Depth really has nothing to do with it. It's all environment. Look for coral heads, big caves and rock with lots of holes. I have spots in 8-12 ft and spots in 35ft+. It just takes time to develop a good routine. I've been diving the reefs off Eliot for 7 years and find new spots every trip. Just have patience and put in the time and you'll find good areas.
Thanks for the info. Good luck out there and stay safe!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
OBLIGATED

There are some limerock holes just north of elbow in about 6-8 ft of water that usually limited me quick.Look for white holes in the grass.Shot some nice red grouper out of the holes too.There were 55 gal drums cut length ways next to the limerock caves but they probably rusted away by now!The channel in front of elbow and old rhoades at slack tide has holes too.Bullsharks were heavy there and not shy about taking fish or trying to bite me.Remember not to stop to get in the water once you go west of the Islands if you have bugs.That area used to be my favorite place to camp on the boat.We would run offshore for dolphin till about noon then drift spearing the drop off and deep patches and then drift the channels on incoming tide.End of the trip we hit the barrels and caves for bugs.Any of those Islands chanels at slack tide produce quick.
OBLIGATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
newbiefreediver

Wow! Great advice thanks for all the help and god bless!!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Williamsc

Like the rest said just run around and find some spots. Use a chart or clear day look for white sand patches with heads (coral) in them and hop in. Ones with big rocks on the edge and a defined white sandy grass edge, thats where you can find the big fish and big bugs hiding in the rocks. Keep looking shot a 23" hog in a 17' reef spot I got out there. Pm me if I can help more.