Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
JeremyFishes

Thumbs up Do my eyes deceive me?

Went out yesterday (03SEP13) with a guy who's never even put a snorkel on before. Took him to J&J and they set him up with the basic rental and we were off to Children's Pool. No seals so we launched from there, a few tourists looking at us like we were crazy but what do they know? "The rope is there so the beach is closed!" Shut up ya knowitall. Anyways the conditions were murky the first 50 yards due to the surf being up. New guy had a tough time adjusting to life underwater and ended up swallowing a bunch of water. I felt bad but made sure he was taught how to breath through it and everything. Anyways I have never had to help someone throw up while in the water so that was a first, saw that as a bad sign so we headed in and got a bite to eat. Cruised down to mission bay hit up the jetty across from the giant hotel there. Water was super clear and calm and it was perfect for him so I was content. I was in the water for no more then 30 seconds and hadn't had a chance to load the gun. Saw what was at least a 20lbs yellowtail just cruising in 5 feet of water right in front of me, no more then 7 feet. I was amazed. Could it really be a yellowtail this far in the bay? Was he lost? Was there more? Idk, but now I'm on the lookout for more! Ended up not shooting anything and new guy had a great time regardless of the la jolla experience! I can't get over that yellowtail though....

Jeremy
JeremyFishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Do my eyes deceive me?

Good on you for taking a new guy out and watching out for him.