Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
shafe

Spearfishing in Belize

Heading down to San Pedro in November with some friends. Our charter said they will take us spearfishing off the reef.

Anyone been lately?

What's the take like? Heard we'd primarily go after snapper.

Do they give you a hard time about bringing a speargun into/out of the country?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Wayno

Re: Spearfishing in Belize

I go there often and spear the reef near San Pedro. I haven't had any problems bringing in guns, just tell them it's fishing equipment if anyone asks. The take will be small snapper and possibly a small grouper or two. I usually go there for the spiny lobster - bring a pole spear or sling, it's legal to spear them and sometimes they are stacked on the reef. If the water isn't too rough, ask your charter to take you to the back side of the reef where the water is deeper. Bigger fish out there. Inside the reef you're rarely in more than 15 feet of water. Vis is usually very good at 50+ feet. Fish are pretty spooky and you'll be shooting in close quarters on the reef. Use flopper shafts and smaller guns - I wouldn't bring anything bigger than a 120 and no float lines necessary. Captain Shark's sells spearfishing equipment, but it's mostly JBL and twice the price you would pay in US.

My favorite places to eat in San Pedro: Estel's By the Sea for breakfast, My Secret Deli for lunch (don't pass up crab or conch soup if they have it), Wariguma for giant and delicious smothered burritos. Blue Water Grill, Lily's Treasure Chest and Red Ginger (pricey) are good for dinner. A couple miles north of town Aji Restaurant, Lazy Croc BBQ, and Ak'bol are all good.

November can be pretty buggy, so bring some high-proof deet.

Have fun and feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
shafe

thanks brother. i'll have a 110 predator pro w flopper and gatku pole. good to know about back side of reef/bigger fish. and great food tips! hopefully i'll be eating bugs too.

sounds like the water temp is around 80 in november. do you usually wear any sort of wetsuit or top or just go in a shirt? as a fellow SoCal spearo, all i know is my 7mm!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Ryanfish

Went for a week last summer and ended up staying a month. I can second estelas as being epic for breakfast. Check out wayos bar too. Dive outside the reef and north and the possibilities are endless.
Ryanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
shafe

a week into a month. i believe it. cool place

my last trip i was with my girl and we drove the whole country for several days, scuba'd off Placencia and even hit PG. the mainland was an eerie place actually. never seen so many dilapidated abandoned homes. spots looked like New Orleans after katrina even though there was no hurricane. apparently when they went independent from Britain the economy couldnt really hold up on its own. tourism's the only thing saving it.

will post some pics in Nov
Old 09-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Wayno

Your 110 is perfect - that's what I use down there.

Water temp in November should be 80 to 82, and you should be OK in just a shirt. I've spent a lot of days diving there in board shorts and rash guard even in Jan & Feb when the water is cooler. Make sure it has long sleeves to protect you against coral scrapes and the occasional stingy things. Be careful reaching into holes after bugs, etc. - lot of morays there, and they like to hang with the bugs.

Good suggestion by Ryanfish to check out Wayo's Bar.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
MeTo

I'm going in December. What the contact info for a freedive charter to use? I will be diving alone so it would be nice to hook up with others.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Marco

Hank49!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
shafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
I'm going in December. What the contact info for a freedive charter to use? I will be diving alone so it would be nice to hook up with others.
i'm using Gofishbelize.com
They are primarily fishing but will take you spearing if you prefer
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
shafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Your 110 is perfect - that's what I use down there.

Water temp in November should be 80 to 82, and you should be OK in just a shirt. I've spent a lot of days diving there in board shorts and rash guard even in Jan & Feb when the water is cooler. Make sure it has long sleeves to protect you against coral scrapes and the occasional stingy things. Be careful reaching into holes after bugs, etc. - lot of morays there, and they like to hang with the bugs.

Good suggestion by Ryanfish to check out Wayo's Bar.
thanks brother. really good info. will dress accordingly.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
sickfish31

Hi Shafe,

Any reports or pics? Headed down there in a week and came across this thread.
sickfish31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
shafe

Still here, leave tomorrow . Won't be able to post video till next week. Serious storms Thursday and Friday crushed us. Barely got the charters to take us out then ended up in serious near dangerous conditions. Lots of big fish in the reef channels with amazing viz but the surge and swell was so bad we were all (fish included) ripping sideways so fast it was like trying to shoot moving targets from a moving car. Got so intense and was taken so far from the boat I finally had to put the gun down and focus on swimming against the currents towards the boat.

ALL THAT SAID, it was sunny and calm today so if it holds you will be in good shape. It's incredible down here even in horrible conditions.

Take note: lots of aggressive nurse sharks here. I had a couple fish in my bag and had to keep several sharks at bay with my spear. They are plentiful and arrive in minutes in numbers and are fearless.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
sickfish31

Thanks for the update. Headed down tomorrow with my girlfriend and packed some of my gear. I will stop by gofishbelize and see if I can set something up.
sickfish31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
shafe

if the weather is as nice as the day i left, you're in for a treat.

not sure if gofishbelize is the best charter. they were a little sloppy in a lot of ways.

check out this page and search trip advisor. http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishing.html

I don't know who to use but Amigos del Mar looked like a good operation. Seaduced. You could even call El Pescador and see what they recommend for spearfishing. a lot of these guys are dive shops but they arrange fishing too.

just know that the biggest fish are near the cuts in the barrier reef that allow them access from deep water. the currents are also the strongest there so you need to be a strong swimmer. a lot of people hold onto the corral and wait for the big fish to come around, otherwise you'll get sucked out towards the barrier reef.

if you go to the shallower waters (15'), you will see no big fish. trust me. they took us there first and i spent hours looking. ended up with a bunch of small fish in my bag and pesky nurse sharks. tell them you want to go by a cut and get bigger fish.

and leave the float line at home if you use a reel. viz is 50' in stormy conditions.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #15
chris138

Get a chance to upload the video?

Sounds like a great destination, Im heading down in May. Thanks for posting!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote