Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
yetiyeti

Small ID bands dyneema wishbones

What do you use for the part that gets inserted in the small ID bands hole? I tried with 2mm dyneema- didn't work. Switched to 1,5 mm, works fine I just hope it holds up. I also didn't do the diamond knot(like the one italians use in the videos) but a simple double overhand..
yetiyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Re: Small ID bands dyneema wishbones

Why didn't it work? Perhaps its the tool your using not the mm of dyneema. I use 2.8mm for small id no problem. Insertion tool and a little bit of soap.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Triton

You can also just use needle nose pliers, and like Andrew said, lube it up!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
yetiyeti

Yeah I used needle nose pliers and dish soap- way to wide. I'll get the T tool. Andrew you use 2.8mm dyneema on a 14.5 band(wow the hole is 1,5mm, I can't imagine) what kind of knot do use?
Old 03-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Ya there is also some technique to it. I use what I call a figure eight knot. I don't recommend it with anything less than 2.5mm it will be too small. Basically make an "8" then put the end through both loops of the 8.

Pull the knot tight. Burn the ends down to the knot. Now you should have a somewhat pointed knot with a hard tip. Put a small amount of soap/silicone/lube on the knot. Now when you push the knot in go with the natural direction of the knot. In other words, stick the pointy end in.

Also it helps to hold the rubber in your grip against a table, but leave enough materiel out of your hand to where the rubber can stretch as the knot goes in.

If you're using needle nose do the same thing but have the needle nose back a little in terms of where you are holding the knot - around the back half of the knot. So you have the knot going in first before the needle nose. And be careful if the needle nose slips it hurts more than the insertion tool.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
spearq8

Needle pliers are dangerous ... better is to use blunt curved scissor clamps like the link ... a pair of them are also great to tie your constrictor knot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G1QTHWS?psc=1

Better yet is just get the plastic or metal inserts. You put a little silicone on them and you can slide them in easily with no tools. The inserts also make a watertight seal once you put a constrictor knot on there ... with the loops you need to treat the balled up knot before you insert it or water will siphon into the band. My two favorite metal inserts are these ... they cost more but will last a lifetime and can be re-used over and over again.

https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-div...hbone/553324/p

https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-div...neema/137437/p
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
FreediveCA

I always wear a leather working glove on the hand holding the rubber in the event it slips. I have had too many times where it slipped the hole and the tool went into my hand. Nasty cuts. Glove protects against that.

To add to the small diameter and figure 8. I use beads with a simple figure eight stopper knot. Simply because it is a strong knot and, as mentioned above, if you are using smaller diameter line the knot is not big enough... unless you use beads, in which case, the figure 8 is a good strong holding knot.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
yetiyeti

Great, thanks guys. I managed to insert the 2mm dyneema, the 1.5mm flew right out. I used a loop ending in a fishermans knot- not to wide, holds great.
I'll look into the metal inserst majd. I will have to work on that 360% band stretch though
Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Behslayer

2.5mm is good. Thinner can slip. Need to use a Double Overhand knot not a single.

Needlenose Pliers work fine, but If you grind down the point a bit so it's smaller they will work better.

You need to burn the ends of the knots and heat up the knot a little too so it doesn't have any loose ends and then roll it smooth in your fingers (yes it burns)

You need to use Lube. Don't just grab your Knot and Jam it in there. You take the Needlenose pliers first with a lttle lube on them and Jam those in there and this loosens things up a little. Then the knot. Should be no problem.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
yetiyeti

I used 2mm, works great, this is the knot I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWfOyKFDXRM
Old 03-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
juanacity
John

I'm using the 1.9 mm Benthic stiff dyneema for wishbones in small id bands with just a figure 8 knot as the insert. However you all have me worried they might eventually slip. I only have a couple days of use on them, but they are holding up fine so far. Anyone else use this setup?

For me needle nose pliers are by far easier to use than any kind of T insertion tool. Leather glove is a must.
juanacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Alec
Spearfishing & Wild Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanacity View Post
I'm using the 1.9 mm Benthic stiff dyneema for wishbones in small id bands with just a figure 8 knot as the insert. However you all have me worried they might eventually slip. I only have a couple days of use on them, but they are holding up fine so far. Anyone else use this setup?

For me needle nose pliers are by far easier to use than any kind of T insertion tool. Leather glove is a must.
I've been using the 1.9mm with a standard double overhand knot for almost a year with small I.D and it hasn't failed. Maybe i'm just lucky, I think it has more to do with the constrictor line you use and how much tighten it
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
Dr.P

I use 2.2mm benthic. Never an issue.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
apeogre

What constrictor line do people use? I used to use some stuff from Mako that was really nice and tied well, until I ran out. The stuff from neptonics works, but just seems stiff to me. Any suggestions?
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Dr.P

Neptonics is my favorite. I use a double constrictor. In years of using the neptonics cord I have never had one come undone.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote