Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Ben-Jammin
B JAMMIN

Bay Guns

Hey Everyone, I'm looking for a used bay gun, preferably in the 30-40inch range for short vis. Anyone selling or have suggestions? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
apexdiver
Tony

Re: Bay Guns

Small midhandle...
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
ChadMcD
Vegas Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
Small midhandle...
Benjamin, just so you know.. apexdiver is 13 years old and has never speared in your area before. Wait until you get some suggestions from a few divers who regularly spear where you do

Thanks for deleting your post apex. Sending PMs calling me names isn't going to do anything. I'm just looking out for the OP. I sure as hell wouldn't want gun recommendations from a kid who lives on the other side of the country. You can't tell who is behind the keyboard on these forums and having a high post count means nothing. Goodluck on your search for a low vis gun Ben

Last edited by ChadMcD; 01-15-2014 at 12:47 AM.
ChadMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

Ben get a small mako it's cheap man! Have you tried that riffe yet?
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
jbsrq

For inshore diving down in Sarasota I either use a pole spear or a small Biller 42 that I rigged with one tight band and a single flopper shaft. Quick to reload and is rugged, had it for years and still shoots great.

I usually shoot railguns, but I have a blast shooting the little Biller inshore. I've seen them for sale cheap.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Ben-Jammin
B JAMMIN

Appreciate the info guys. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Bigski

i second the biller, have a 36 and 48 for inshore/nearshore. Rugged as hell, cheap and you want the single flopper. probably find one on craigslist for not that much
Bigski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
moteman

My two favorite guns for Sarasota bay artificial reefs and bridge shooting is an old but very reliable Seahunter 33" midhandle w/single band and coil bungee shaft line or a Mares Frontiersman 30" pneumatic. Both are low tech, quick to reload and plenty of power for sheepies, flounder and Mangs. For low viz short and powerful is the ticket!

Last edited by moteman; 10-14-2014 at 11:34 AM.
moteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Spearo|Joe

I'll tell you what, I mainly shoot Inshore, in crappy vis, under ledges ect and the best gun for ease of use, power, and maneuverability I've found that my mares Cyrano 850 pneumatic Is a monster! Way more power than you would get out of a band gun of equal length and it's very slick In the water. It has 2 settings so you can lower the power for shooting in rocks or ledges. I know not many guys on here use pneumo guns but you may want to give them a shot.

Moteman, My dad has had the same mares frontiersmen since 1980, and he still slays with it up till today.
Spearo|Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
moteman

The Mares Frontiersman is bulletproof! Long enough to have all the power ya need, short enough get in tight spots, O-ring kits to rebuild it are cheap and replacement shafts are readily available. They are hard to beat! BTW mine has dual power settings also. Do you use standard wrapped line or coiled bungee?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
Spearo|Joe

Yah, his also has the power selector. I use mono shooting line then hooked to a reel with dyneema line. I use the real for free diving and when I'm scuba I just lock it down. The setup works really well and with 30 bar in that bad boy it's a mini cannon! I always keep a few extra shafts on board just in case. Honestly, I know there's a definite place for band guns but I really can't see and pro's to buying one for the shooting I do.
Spearo|Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
moteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearo|Joe View Post
Yah, his also has the power selector. I use mono shooting line then hooked to a reel with dyneema line. I use the real for free diving and when I'm scuba I just lock it down. The setup works really well and with 30 bar in that bad boy it's a mini cannon! I always keep a few extra shafts on board just in case. Honestly, I know there's a definite place for band guns but I really can't see and pro's to buying one for the shooting I do.
For power to length ratio, a good pneumatic is hard to beat, especially when gun length and visibility are important factors.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
JNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Jammin View Post
Hey Everyone, I'm looking for a used bay gun, preferably in the 30-40inch range for short vis. Anyone selling or have suggestions? Thanks!
Hey Ben,
My buddy Darwin has a sea hornet that about that size he's been wanting to get rid of..give him a call if you haven't found one yet, tell him J said so-

Darwin 727.288.3802
JNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
mc diver 36

Go for the biller dude! Like everybody said cheap and rugged good close range gun. I shot my biggest hog fish ever, just under 10 pounds with a 32 biller. It was my first gun, and I still have it. Put a flopper shaft and get rid of the slide ring and drill a hole right in front of the band notches on the shaft for your mono shooting line. Just my two cents
Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #15
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

I'd get/build a 36-42" single action roller gun. Call Bubba, he can do it.

C