Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #31
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Re: Wrist Watches

Nice SINN, a local dealer showed one to me since I work in MRI on occasion, and non-magnetic features are something I look for.

Analogs are preferred for hard working conditions: ease of read, durable, reliable, consistent time, temp extremes. There was a guy in 2002, if I remember correct, that got dug out of ice (died on a 1968 expedition) at 17.2k on Denali...his manual Timex started right up when Gordi wound it!

Good timepieces are also statements of how you view quality, craftsmanship, and...of course...time

Glad to see other Horologists on SB. If you think Wongs, C4s, and Snipers are expensive, don't bother with wrist timepieces

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #32
diveincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeogre View Post
I got to say that the rolex sub is the most over rated watch ever produced. I am not saying its a bad watch, just one that people hype because its the only expensive watch they have ever heard of.

well, it depends how you look at it..
I got my Submariner 23 years ago as a gift from my dad. He had it for maybe 4-5 years before he gave it to me. Back then, he paid around 700$.
Today, the submariner looks just the same and it's still as good. It's a classic and I didn't have to buy any other watches since then... well actually I did.. they all broke... What I love about it is that you can were it for business in a suit and it looks just as good in shorts on the beach. It's a go anywhere watch that will last forever. About 10 years ago, mine began to lose some time. I had it cleaned and tuned up and since then, it's super accurate.

I just got the Panerai 2 weeks ago. In my opinion, that's another classic that will last a life time....

My newborn son was born 1 month ago, I plan on giving him the Rolex when he turns 18. That will be my excuse to get the new Rolex Deepsea =)
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #33
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

I agree completely Diveincanada...I just think they are overpriced for the quality...i mean the price of a new sub will get you a nice tag or a nice omega. even a used breitling..

I would not turn on down as a gift, ever, and any heirloom is awesome. no matter what it is
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #34
apeogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
I agree completely Diveincanada...I just think they are overpriced for the quality...i mean the price of a new sub will get you a nice tag or a nice omega. even a used breitling..

I would not turn on down as a gift, ever, and any heirloom is awesome. no matter what it is
Diveincanada, I do have to agree with you that it is timeless and looks good with dressing up or down. I will say that I was at a dive shop the other day and a guy was wearing a two tone sub. I asked the guy if it was the sub or gmt and his response was, I don't know it's, it's a rolex. Ask a guy wearing an omega, he will tell you it's a seamaster or speed master or what not. That shouldn't take away the niceness of a sub, but it does, to me anyway.

Great lookin panerai btw. I really like em my wrists are just too small for them.

Lunkerbuster you can totally get a new breathing for that price. The last picture I have is my Sunn U1. Made of actual German submarine steel. The bezel is tegmented, which means its made by folding steel over on itself many times over, just like a samurai sword.
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #35
apeogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'o Cino View Post
Now that everyone agrees, I'll throw in a ringer

This is what goes in the water most of the time...pre-007 Seamaster. The dings testify to it's hard life! Got this in '90ish to replace the Sub that got lost.

Great watch!
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #36
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveincanada View Post
well, it depends how you look at it..
I got my Submariner 23 years ago as a gift from my dad. He had it for maybe 4-5 years before he gave it to me. Back then, he paid around 700$.
Today, the submariner looks just the same and it's still as good. It's a classic and I didn't have to buy any other watches since then... well actually I did.. they all broke... What I love about it is that you can were it for business in a suit and it looks just as good in shorts on the beach. It's a go anywhere watch that will last forever. About 10 years ago, mine began to lose some time. I had it cleaned and tuned up and since then, it's super accurate.

I just got the Panerai 2 weeks ago. In my opinion, that's another classic that will last a life time....

My newborn son was born 1 month ago, I plan on giving him the Rolex when he turns 18. That will be my excuse to get the new Rolex Deepsea =)
I agree with most everyone on the quality vs cost issue with Rolex's in general, and especially the Sub's and Daytona's. Used to have a SS Daytona that I sold for nearly triple what I bought it for (sold for 5,800 in 1995) I thought I had killed the market...wish I still had it now The older model Subs had more robust mechs, and with the oyster case, were living up to the reputation. The 'modern' pieces are a product of existing design with mass mechs, and high cache image.

+1 on Panerai's, it should realistically last a few generations, and still look good in the future Your son should be stoked to get a vintage Sub with such a history!

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #37
rexwang

this is my watch a citizen infusion, i chose ecodrive so the case never has to be cracked open and if i decide to wear a different watch for a while it will be just fine without a winder. not to mention it wasnt very expensive.

so far so good, i wear it with a boardshorts, or dressup in a suit or diving, it works everywhere. a little concerned about the longevity of the resin band but not too worried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81EkEzUde+S__AA1500_.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	137366  
rexwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #38
zeN

That is a handsome watch, about $300 though
zeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #39
zeN

Here's a fine sport watch,
Has some really cool features, might just be that ultimate field watch,
if you have $500 to blow

The Suunto line of sport watches is just amazing, too many to list

Last edited by zeN; 09-30-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #40
sweatloaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexwang View Post
this is my watch a citizen infusion, i chose ecodrive so the case never has to be cracked open and if i decide to wear a different watch for a while it will be just fine without a winder. not to mention it wasnt very expensive.

so far so good, i wear it with a boardshorts, or dressup in a suit or diving, it works everywhere. a little concerned about the longevity of the resin band but not too worried.
Ecodrive is value bombproof. 14 years+ and hasn't ever lost time or needed service.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #41
MagicMike
Mike Pearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
also a handsome watch...who makes it?
Sinn:

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Si...trap-6p379.htm
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #42
FredT

I have a Citizen Ecodrive drying out on my dashboard, and has been drying out there since early July. The thing no longer is fogged and keeps decent time now but there is no way I can get it near water again without the $180 "factory seal kit install & test." It's less expensive to simply get another one.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #43
rexwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeN View Post
That is a handsome watch, about $300 though
i was able to get it for $240ish, which to my knowledge is close to 20 bucks over cost. not too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
I have a Citizen Ecodrive drying out on my dashboard, and has been drying out there since early July. The thing no longer is fogged and keeps decent time now but there is no way I can get it near water again without the $180 "factory seal kit install & test." It's less expensive to simply get another one.
well the warranty is only 5years.

sucks that it got wet, but they are cheap enough to get a new one. so really its not that bad a deal still.

do you know where it leaked from? perhaps it was the screw-on crown seal? if that was the problem then, sorry it was user error.
rexwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #44
zeN

The more I look at Suunto I like them,
this model has most of what a 21st century explorer might want, Suunto X6M,
time, timers, a functional alarm (loud), altimeter, compass, thermometer, well made case,
they make an accessory metal band (but that one is a pricey $100)

Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #45
zeN

Looking for Suunto x6m watch owners,
ordered one, as this watch is very well made with options that typically cost hundreds $$ more than I paid, but I see the interface cable is problematic, has a female rs232 instead of a usb connector, Suunto's cable is a ridiculous $60, wonder if some owners have had success with a work-a-round,
thanks
Janus