Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #16
spearq8

Re: Ballasting a Riffe Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1 View Post
The reason why those old Riffes kicked up is because of poor geometry. The bands are not aligned with the spear. The more power, the worse it is. The lead will help with a band or maybe 2, but not 3. A speargun should push back, not up. The wings work by lifting the bands up to align them, but they are a poor thing, they cause huge drag moving the gun around. A simple stainless steel rod set just under the track about 1/4" and sticking out about 1 1/2" on each side, that the bands could go over would help immensly with this problem, and make the gun very accurate and easy to move underwater. It is always a lot better to start with a gun that shoots right, than to try and fix it later.

I have to agree with a lot you say but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is a poor design. I will agree that the newer designs by Riffe such as the Euro series are much better. The Riffe standard works quite well once you have a wing on it, but then of course you need to add lead weight as the wing sold really is too much wood for the gun and will have the front way too buoyant. The Riffe Euro though, the bands are much higher up ... AND ... much more importantly I think is that the grip sits much higher to the CG of the gun. This allows recoil to go into the palm rather than to be below the palm and thus twist your wrist (painful). The Euro still has a problem in that the bands don't sit parallel unless you use steel wishbones or you manually fix them. My solution for that was to add a small wing up front which is also ballasted where the gun still has excellent balance. I have both guns and it is immediately apparent when you put both guns in the water that from the factory the Euro gun is designed with ballasting in mind while the standard is not.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

So, I just saw these ballast weights are available on the website now.

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/Riffe...ast%20kit.html
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
garret

i bought one a couple days ago. i test fired the gun in a pool with 3 fresh 5/8 bands and it still has a slight jump in the muzzle but it was noticeably different!! i think a little more weight might make it less. im gonna try drilling into the weight body and putting in some tungston for more weight.. worth the money for sure. thanks josh
Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
rogerkamp8817

This is awesome! Glad to see shops producing quality upgrade parts.
rogerkamp8817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #20
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret View Post
i bought one a couple days ago. i test fired the gun in a pool with 3 fresh 5/8 bands and it still has a slight jump in the muzzle but it was noticeably different!! i think a little more weight might make it less. im gonna try drilling into the weight body and putting in some tungston for more weight.. worth the money for sure. thanks josh

Actually that weight might just be perfect with the Riffe wings. The Riffe wings give more buoyancy than required and having the weight more up front is better than having it in the wings. Great idea where form most certainly follows function!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

I want one, for my Island. And can I just trim some lead off in order to suit my No Ka Oi?
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
splitfish
Spearboard Sponsor

Neptonic Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshaft View Post
I want one, for my Island. And can I just trim some lead off in order to suit my No Ka Oi?
It only extends past the profile of the No Ka Oi about a 1/16 of an inch. Looks fine. I wouldn't even bother trimming it.
splitfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
rexwang

Does this fit the riffe c3 with three bands? it's pretty snug in there with the bands alone... But I guess you can always squash them in there.
rexwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #24
splitfish
Spearboard Sponsor

Neptonic Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexwang View Post
Does this fit the riffe c3 with three bands? it's pretty snug in there with the bands alone... But I guess you can always squash them in there.
The current design fits the Riffe Island as well as the Riffe No Ka OI
splitfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
manoa matt

The C3 does not come with the muzzle reinforcement screw needed to retain the lead weight. It would be easy to add the reinforcement screw, however you would be limited to two bands. With 2 5/8" bands it would be good, as 2 5/8" bands on that gun produces quite a kick.

Last edited by manoa matt; 03-09-2012 at 04:03 PM.
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

Sweet idea! I had my Island ballasted with lead and it really helped. Much better than wings.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #27
specialk

I have a newer No Ka Oi, it shoots great from the factory with 3 9/16 bands. I have no complaints about the gun as it, it handles great and is very accurate. I wouldn't mind powering it up with 3 5/8 bands. I don't like the wings bit could definitely live with the Neptonics ballast. Has anyone had experience with a No Ka Oi with 3 5/8 bands and the Neptonics ballast?
specialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #28
payton8308

This is the greatest thread ever for the No Ka Oi. I just got mine and immediately went to Neptonics to grab the ballaster. Can’t wait to test this beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
payton8308 is offline   Reply With Quote