Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Buddy Networking -- Let's Go Hunting! > Buddy Networking - California

Buddy Networking - California Looking to hook-up with some fellow Californians? Try here.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
LGHT
g0t r00t?

Send a message via ICQ to LGHT Send a message via AIM to LGHT
Newbie in the OC/LA area need buddies!

I very new to the sport and looking for anyone who is willing to lend a newbie a hand. I'm down in Newport Beach, but my brother has a bar on the redondo beach pier so i'm there often on weekends.

I'll be glad to pickup the tab for food and beer after dives in the RB area!! Or anywhere for that matter If anyone is willing to help me learn some tricks of the trade.

I work as a IT manager and have over 20 years of expierience in IT so If you need any IT related work I'm willing to trade my time for yours! I can do just about anything so just shoot me a PM or e-mail if your willing to help out a greenhorn and need some IT work done.

I'm still working on getting all my gear for now, but that shouldn't take too long as I only need a few things here and there.
LGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Re: Newbie in the OC/LA area need buddies!

I live about a mile from the redondo beach pier, do you have much diving experience? Just trying to get an idea of your comfort level in the water. PM me when you get your necessary gear together (ie, suit, fins, mask, weight belt and gloves) and I'll show you some basics. no need to hurry on getting gear together either, the water will be there, and it's probably best to buy your gear slowly to get the right gear, rather than buy everything that you need all at once. keep an eye on the members items section for good deals
Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
LGHT
g0t r00t?

Well I used to surf and snorkle a while back so i'm ok in the water. Not too bad, but I have never really spent much time under the water. I'm trying to take a apnea class and i'll be spending time in a pool, but like that say your not doing it unless your doing it. Since all I need is a wetsuit, gloves, and weights I should be in the water pretty soon. I will just try and work with the snorkle, fins, mask, and gun I already have and will upgrade to better stuff as I go and when I can find a good deal. As far as a suit I spoke to Ted and will probably go with a kelp camo, but they won't be in stock for another few weeks so i'm on hold until then.

Have you ever been to Kilkenny's on the pier? I may be down there this weekend maybe we can meet up and just go over some basics.

Thanks again for the offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelT
I live about a mile from the redondo beach pier, do you have much diving experience? Just trying to get an idea of your comfort level in the water. PM me when you get your necessary gear together (ie, suit, fins, mask, weight belt and gloves) and I'll show you some basics. no need to hurry on getting gear together either, the water will be there, and it's probably best to buy your gear slowly to get the right gear, rather than buy everything that you need all at once. keep an eye on the members items section for good deals
Old 06-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
rhyne

I'm pretty new to the sport and live in HB. let me know if you're interested in meeting up some time. I don't have any friends that are into the sport and could use some dive buddies.
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

LGHT, just keep me posted when you get in a suit then, what kind of gun do you have? If you're new to spearfishing please id stuff before you shoot it if you plan on bringing your gun, I got a shaft through my fin a few years ago in murky northeast water from someone new to the sport that liked to shoot at moving things, so it makes me kind of wary nowadays

rhyne, feel free to pm me if you have gear and we'll work something out, maybe we can all meet up on the same day and go over some basics and all, always fun to dive with new people
Old 06-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
LGHT
g0t r00t?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyne
I'm pretty new to the sport and live in HB. let me know if you're interested in meeting up some time. I don't have any friends that are into the sport and could use some dive buddies.
For sure. i'm only 10 min from HB. As soon as I get a new wetsuit I'll be trying to get out into the water as much as possible. Hopefully the shipment will arrive in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
rhyne

cool...keep me posted.
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
davidwolfe2
WEST_COAST_NEWBEE

hey i dont know if you guys still check this thread but if you do pm me and im trying to gather an outing of greenhorns
davidwolfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
LGHT
g0t r00t?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwolfe2
hey i dont know if you guys still check this thread but if you do pm me and im trying to gather an outing of greenhorns
I subscribed to the thread so I just got a message. Me and ryan went out for a few hours a couple of weeks back and it was good to just get back into the water. i've been out twice since. No fish, but I'm still getting comfortible with my gun and the water after a few years. I can't get out this weekend, but might be able to next sunday. I still need to pick up a few pieces of gear and get my AB gun rigged, but I still have a small JBJ that I can use. If you want to plan something for next sunday PM me!

Abel
Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
sbslinger

hey LGHT,

My buddies and I are from the southbay area and we are all just getting into it. We are also a consistent visiter to the bars on the redondo pier aswell. We are looking to go out soon and get familiar with the sport. Let me know if you would want to go fish.
sbslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
LGHT
g0t r00t?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslinger
hey LGHT,

My buddies and I are from the southbay area and we are all just getting into it. We are also a consistent visiter to the bars on the redondo pier aswell. We are looking to go out soon and get familiar with the sport. Let me know if you would want to go fish.
I'm trying to get a few guys together for a dive this Sunday. Since we are all pretty much new to the sport you and your buddies are more than welcome.

Not sure of who is going or the location / time, but if your interested and cam make it this sunday just post a reply here.

So far ethan01 said he should be able to make it and of course myself.

Since I've only been diving a couple of times i'm totally up for suggestions.

Abel
Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
sbslinger

Hey LGHT,

WE are all going out to the river this weekend to go seadooing but sometime soon it would be nice to go out with a group. Let me know if any other occasions come up. my email is michaelaaronharrison at gmail.com (longest email ever)
sbslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
LGHT
g0t r00t?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslinger
Hey LGHT,

WE are all going out to the river this weekend to go seadooing but sometime soon it would be nice to go out with a group. Let me know if any other occasions come up. my email is michaelaaronharrison at gmail.com (longest email ever)
I'll be sure to e-mail you on the next trip. So far it's only a couple of guys, but hopefully we can get a good group of newbies together!

Abel