Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: I mostly use...
<80cm speargun 40 10.13%
80cm speargun 4 1.01%
90cm speargun 56 14.18%
100cm speargun 45 11.39%
110cm speargun 90 22.78%
120cm speargun 89 22.53%
130cm speargun 31 7.85%
140cm speargun 15 3.80%
>140cm speargun 7 1.77%
Roller gun 7 1.77%
Pneumatic speargun 11 2.78%
Voters: 395. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #46
mauidivah
Dive Bomb

Re: Most used speargun length

Pretty much only dive bluewater

FOR HAWAIIANS, DIVING IS NOT A SPORT ITS A WAY OF LIFE
mauidivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #47
Alocubano

130 mako
Alocubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #48
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

I don't do METRIC, and I usually don't do polls so I'll let you guys figure out the conversion.

Based on my proximity to the Northern California coastline (white shark territory & shitty viz), I mostly use my home made 34-incher 99.6% of the time i'm in the water. Rockfish & lingcod, yo.

I built a 48" gun that I've used maybe 0.04% of the time i'm in the water (1 halibut and a few long-shot rockfish). I sold that gun, but I'll probably build another one just like it 'cause it was so cool…

The other 0.1% was from my home-built 58' gun. I've literally pulled the trigger twice on that gun (and landed both fish, BTW). 45# sea bass (20 kilos?), and a 25# yellow tail.

Nobody buys/builds just one gun, and nobody else hunts & fishes the same way you do.
I've seen tons of threads where guys land fish with guns they probably shouldn't have used (but they had the skills), and I've seen tons of threads where a guy with "the right gun" takes a shot and looses it to a tear-off, etc.

It's just the way it is.

Buy/build many different guns, and be happy with what you decide to choose for that day of diving...
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #49
splitfish
Spearboard Sponsor

Neptonic Systems

From our sales records... we sell more 120cm guns than any other size
splitfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #50
Apneaddict

70-80 cm fresh, 120cm for clear / blue / salty.

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #51
Ron S

Another NorCal hunter here. I use a 70cm RA most of the time, and if I could only have one gun, it would be that one.
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #52
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

54" AB Biller LTD,43 inch band stetch.1 24"x5/8 for small fish 1 24"x3/4 for bigger fish.60 inch shafts with JBL paralyzer tips.400 mono when lineshafting but mostly freeshafting.Butt weighted to allow empty gun to stand upright on bottom.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #53
KillerKanuck
Dr. Bluewater

110-130 for reef and 140+ bluewater in sofla
KillerKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #54
armandozx

Miami, FL and I use railguns from 100-110 0-60ft. The 100 is so much easier to swing when snooping around reefs.

In the past my favorite gun to use was a 90cm RA Caranx 0-27ft

thumbs up for the metric system! at least when it comes to spearguns =P
armandozx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:41 AM   #55
labrax
Dicentrarchus labrax

When I was creating this poll I wanted to know which size and type of gun is most used because spearboard members are from all of the world. I sow some comments how spearos use more then just one gun. I know that but they also use one gun more then others.

We use metric sistem on the way that we measure distance from last pin on shaft and band hole which is closer to mech. If that distance is for examp. 90 cm your gun is 90. That means that your effective band streach is 90 cm.

These days rollers are increasingly used in Europe.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:47 AM   #56
spearq8

It can be sometimes confusing what size gun you are using and the labeling doesn't always help. Remember after proper design, band stretch is King. A Pathos 120 can actually have a band stretch of 128cm while a Riffe Euro 120X or an Abellan Denton 120 is almost exactly 120cm. Of course you can change things by choosing a shaft with fins that are further back and thus gaining some extra band stretch. Band stretch should be what labels a gun because that is the best indication of how your gun will perform. Personally I feel that depending on the fish you hunt these are the best choices:

60cm to 85cm

Set with single band of 18mm to 20mm and shaft of 6mm to 6.5mm and one wrap. This is for close range reef shooting small fish or low visibility.

90cm to 110cm

Set with a single thick band or double 14mm bands and 6.5 to 7.5 mm shaft and single wrap or double wrap. This is for reef and the upper range will be able to penetrate a larger fish that wanders by the reef. Also good for large grouper or other holed fish as it can be set with easily enough penetration to go through the fish. For smaller fish a 110cm can be setup with good power and accuracy till the end of a double wrap.

120cm to 145cm+

This is for open water or on reefs where chances of a big fish passing by are high. Can be setup with a 7mm shaft but only if the maximum length is 150cm. A 7mm shaft will quickly whip at longer lengths once you try to ramp up the power. As you go over 150cm shafts can go all the way to 9mm depending on what power you need. This is strictly a 2 wrap gun as it makes no sense to get all that power in one wrap. It is a good idea to release a band or two if you decide to take a shot where you will hit rock or reef as you can end up spending most of your trip diving to dislodge your shaft from reef. Recommended bands are 14.5mm and with a good designed gun you will never need more than 3 bands unless you use very low stretch. Easily has range of 2 full wraps and can probably be setup for 3 wraps with the higher loadings.

Of course rollers change the equation but that is for another post.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #57
labrax
Dicentrarchus labrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
It can be sometimes confusing what size gun you are using and the labeling doesn't always help. Remember after proper design, band stretch is King. A Pathos 120 can actually have a band stretch of 128cm while a Riffe Euro 120X or an Abellan Denton 120 is almost exactly 120cm. Of course you can change things by choosing a shaft with fins that are further back and thus gaining some extra band stretch. Band stretch should be what labels a gun because that is the best indication of how your gun will perform. Personally I feel that depending on the fish you hunt these are the best choices:

60cm to 85cm

Set with single band of 18mm to 20mm and shaft of 6mm to 6.5mm and one wrap. This is for close range reef shooting small fish or low visibility.

90cm to 110cm

Set with a single thick band or double 14mm bands and 6.5 to 7.5 mm shaft and single wrap or double wrap. This is for reef and the upper range will be able to penetrate a larger fish that wanders by the reef. Also good for large grouper or other holed fish as it can be set with easily enough penetration to go through the fish. For smaller fish a 110cm can be setup with good power and accuracy till the end of a double wrap.

120cm to 145cm+

This is for open water or on reefs where chances of a big fish passing by are high. Can be setup with a 7mm shaft but only if the maximum length is 150cm. A 7mm shaft will quickly whip at longer lengths once you try to ramp up the power. As you go over 150cm shafts can go all the way to 9mm depending on what power you need. This is strictly a 2 wrap gun as it makes no sense to get all that power in one wrap. It is a good idea to release a band or two if you decide to take a shot where you will hit rock or reef as you can end up spending most of your trip diving to dislodge your shaft from reef. Recommended bands are 14.5mm and with a good designed gun you will never need more than 3 bands unless you use very low stretch. Easily has range of 2 full wraps and can probably be setup for 3 wraps with the higher loadings.

Of course rollers change the equation but that is for another post.
I agree.

Most of time I'm using my 90cm handmade "Legolas" with 2x16 bands on 3.5 and 6.5 shaft. Recently I've put 2x14 with 3.7 stretch and I am very pleased with this new setup. Gun is wooden with carbon fiber and recoil is minimal.

With 2x16 I had 21m/s on 4 meters from top of the shaft. With 2x14 I didn't measure.

This gun:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dp67FhAQMn4
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #58
artiz

I think it's reasonably interesting to find out the 'mean' length of gun preferred from the forum but just maybe more interesting would be a poll which asks how much of that length does everyone think is actually overkill now... perhaps in much the same way the majority of us 'blokes' overestimate the length of our 'dicks' we also overestimate the length of our spearguns when buying them... talk about laugh out loud...

Mine's a 1.5 meter - 60 incher of course....

Last edited by artiz; 08-06-2016 at 08:56 AM.
artiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #59
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~~ Remember, girth trumps all.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #60
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshaft View Post
~~ Remember, girth trumps all.

could always collate the poll stats with this map of course...

Last edited by artiz; 08-13-2016 at 10:12 PM.
artiz is offline   Reply With Quote