Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #1
matt-skate

San Clemente Trip and boat size

A buddy of mine is asking to put together an overnight trip to San Clemente for a shot at the bluefin. We fish offshore a lot and have experience down to the Coronados and out about 40 miles so not totally newbies. We always bring a Garmin GPS that has the emergency alert signal beacon, make sure radio is always working, and have vessel assist.

The boat is a 22’ Triton with a 200 hp 2-stroke and a smaller 4-stroke kicker motor. It is well maintained.

I’ve read that it’s not a good idea to make the trip in anything under a 26’ boat. Granted I know weather conditions dictate all, but is it crazy to make this trip? I have been offshore enough to know not to mess around and have gotten caught in some pretty bad conditions before.
matt-skate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:21 AM   #2
Pfish

Re: San Clemente Trip and boat size

I used to go over in my 21 foot Parker all the time. Just make sure you have VHF and enough gas and you should be good to go. Check the San Clemente Buoy here: https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=46086 The closer the waves are to the times of the waves, the rougher the ride. The best place to toss your anchor is at Fish Hook cove about a mile up on the leeward side. Call ahead to make sure they are not bombing and monitor Chanel 16 to be sure. Have fun and post some pics!
Old 09-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
dctrjayyy

you are fine, you just have to pick your days. For example, the next week is not going to be good. Look for wind variable under 10kt on the forecast and a long period swell. plan on coming back early afternoon if the wind kicks up as it often does.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
matt-skate

cool thanks for the info guys. we will definitely be checking weather to see how things develop. the tips on what to look for certainly helps.

if conditions permit us to go i will def post some pics!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

Don't forget to check to see what parts of the island are closed due to Naval operations...you don't want to be running the channel back to Catalina in late afternoon or evening if you can avoid it...Scisland.org/schedules/usage/useage.php….also, a high powered battery light so you can see the cliffs and swell at night in case you get pushed off the anchor by weather...south swells over 3' can cause havoc down both sides of the island..This weekend, the Clemente forecast is wind to 30, short period swell of 7 seconds and 7 to 9' waves....me, I am heading for Catalina tomorrow, hoping some of the green water on both sides, has dissipated to blue....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-13-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #6
matt-skate

been checking the forecasts and although the wind is up now, looks like it will be dropping thursday and friday. i think we may try to drive out wednesday evening depending on how bad the wind is that day. heading out in the dark thursday at like 2am would not be my preference.

any suggestions for keeping ice for longer than 24 hours? the boat has 2 insulated fish holds up front but i'm not sure on how well insulated they are. normally we have one setup for ice and fish and throw wet blankets on the catch when we throw them in the hold.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
NaClAddict

Use big blocks of ice. Keep it in the cooler until you need it for fish. Break off what you need with an ice pick.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #8
davej

I did it was my 21' whaler no prob. Check weather and bring extra gas
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
matt-skate

hi all, thought i'd give a trip report. didn't get a chance to dive but did get a chance to hook a nice 70# bluefin on a glo flat fall right at gray light.

ride out wasn't too bad and we made it back in with 20 gallons of gas to spare. the only sketchy thing was the navy was doing a bunch of military operations and were blacked out. we came pretty dang close to a large ship which we couldn't tell what it was but from that point forward we had to slow down a bit as we didn't have radar on the boat. we slept on the floor of the boat at pyramid cove and went out fishing around 2am on the west end.

we will definitely be making a trip back as we the dive conditions look insane out there. thanks for all of the suggestions, it is good to hear from some saltier captains before boating into new territory.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
Lompoc Local
Errin

Dude, you got it all wrong, the diving conditions out there are green, hazy and HORRIBLE!

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
brasspickruper

In reality the Navy RSO (range safety officer) cannot (by the book) run a live fire range (call the range hot and actually send rounds) if a boat is in their SDZ (safety danger zone) will not move out of it. And being that guy that actually has talked to many captains on the radio when out at SCI, very little has has ever happened with the ramifications of the private boater not moving...just sayin' Frustrating for the navy guys and you are definitely that ass hole that I know can hear what is being said on the radio and ignoring the visual signals that are going up...but I think there is only one time something significantly bad happened to a boat/captain in the last 15 yrs because of ignoring the radio. So yes listen to the navy guys on the radio!!!!!
brasspickruper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
surfnbrett

Have sent it multiple times in an 18 Parker. Check the weather!!!!!! and if you need an above deck fuel tank can be nice for peace of mind, but done it on 50 gallons no problem (115 Yamaha). Can stop in Avalon too. You can get your teeth kicked in on the way home, so pack some weather gear. Something about being so far offshore in a small boat makes you feel so small but also like a badass
surfnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote