Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 06-14-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Cool The Comet heads South...

Aguaji and I drove off early Saturday morning heading south towards the Florida Keys. We drove up to a trailer park resort minutes before 7am. Aguaji’s rookie-spearfishing friend had just rented a trailer lot in Islamorada for the summer. We capitalized on the opportunity of diving non-Miami reefs, no marina charge, and a chance of a fish fry with a bunch of Trailer Park Tourist. Another “so-called” spearo joined the quartet with his brand new Mares Cyrano Gun and never before used dive gear.

Drifting from patch to patch searching for that one “money” spot, we slowly began to put fish in the cooler. The mangroves were everywhere and shortly they were in the Comet too. We hit up on four nice Black Groupers, including a nice 20-pounder, two Reds, a Yellow Jack, four Triggers and three “White Snappers”. Oh yeah, 18 Mangroves, most if not all near or over three pounds (For the Politically Correct police, this amount was below are allotted limit). Overall, Aguaji and I did very well….the other two guys; well they did bring their Recreational licenses.

Picture of Aguaji and I at the dock…Yes, no Hogs…Freediving from 30-70 feet of water.

Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	long key horizontal.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	9166  
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
Pigsafloat

Nice fish guys. Not a hog or mutton in the bunch? See any ?
Pigsafloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #3
deepdown

Nice haul Rolos. Good to see you got to get out there. It's my turn again next weekend.
btw, I see an uncanny resemblance between aguaji and the guy in your avatar...

Laters,

G
Old 06-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #4
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

Looks like pargo a la Vizcaina con quimbombo y plantanos at the Veloso house. Nice job. Note that two of your SoFla brethren, Spearooo and Mushkee, are trading in their banana hammocks for HP tanks in the Florida Middle Grounds this weeekend aboard the Jolly Rogers 2. I can get you, or any freediver on the boat at a bargain basement price since you're not hauling truckloads of gear. If you can do 80 fsw-100 fsw, you will probably get a chance to shoot some monster hogfish that you would never see diving off Miami.

AJ Suarez
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
deepdown

AJ,

JC(spearooo) has been trying to get me to cross over to the darkside forever now. Just haven't been able to convince myself... What bargain price are we talking about?

Gerald
Old 06-14-2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

You have a PM.
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

Pigs,

Yes, we saw plenty of hogs, but why shoot such a defenseless fish that is barely 16"? I leave the hogs for young guns on their honeymoon

Yeah, we did see a few Muttons. I had a very nice one tear off my shaft and my "One-sandle wearing " dive partner was too busy shooting a big elusive Margate and did not see where it swam off too. We did see a few that were over 15 pounds, but unable to give us a shot.

Gerald,

Dude, you are observant. I didn't notice the resemblance. This may be the first pic of Aguaji on this board after all the hell he's raised. Looks are a bit deceiving, the guy dives like a fiend and is fearless in the water...although his spearfishing friend is another story

Armandito,

Asere "Quimbombo"? Tiraste fuerte con esa...tengo hambre. "80fsw- 100 fsw"? Todavia, pero pronto. I would like to make it out there sometime and I'll definitely go out on the JRII. Spearoo and Mushkee are great guys and will represent Miami well with their spearing prowess.

Hasta...

Last edited by RJVeloso; 06-14-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:43 PM   #8
cmh777
Live 2 Dive

Great fish....

"See it, Stalk it, Spear it, String it."
cmh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:09 AM   #9
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Too bad you passed up the Hogs! I think their the best tasting. But if your interested Speedy and I are diving this weekend out of Ft. Lauderdale! Give me a call 954-554-7416.

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote