Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
ReefShark
Jay

Re: Pathos-inspired Cayman Build (not so pic heavy;-))

Yup i agree with Tony, single wrap for sure... U dont want her getting frustrated with all that shooting line...

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

NOSE CONES
When I had the epoxy out, I finally got around to glueing some nose cones in place:

Shafts are (from top to bottom) Epsealon (old Esclapez), Salvimar Atlantis, Pathos, Salvimar (not sure what model) and a Devoto on the bottom.
Cones are a mix of Salvimar, Sigalsub and Devoto.

And a teaser, and the main reason I was whipping up the epoxy goodness:

(not really for the Cayman build…;-))
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #18
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
NOSE CONES
When I had the epoxy out, I finally got around to glueing some nose cones in place:

Shafts are (from top to bottom) Epsealon (old Esclapez), Salvimar Atlantis, Pathos, Salvimar (not sure what model) and a Devoto on the bottom.
Cones are a mix of Salvimar, Sigalsub and Devoto.
Nice...

Quote:
And a teaser, and the main reason I was whipping up the epoxy goodness:

(not really for the Cayman build…;-))
Thats for your handle? You dirty little teaser you..

Wait, that don't look like a handle... 😎

I love that red n black man...

Old 01-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #19
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefShark View Post
Thats for your handle you dirty little teaser you..

I love that red n black man...

Haha, nope. Not for the handle. But now that you mention it... perhaps, after all, I should drape that other handle I have going in this weave. I've had it for a while, finally got it out of the closet and it does look pretty swank. Let's see how it looks tomorrow when it's cured.

Basically, it's just a very glorified camera mount. Thing is, I shoot pneumatics mostly and they need a little work to get neutral in the water as I like it. Add a cam and a reel and I start feeling the gun is too negative. So, the idea is to have a mount that adds just enough buoyancy to make up for the reel and cam. Also, I am making a carbon fiber sleeve sleeve which wraps around the barrel and holds both the cam mount and the reel.
This is V2. The first version is seen on top in this pic:

And here is the first version being "float tested" a while back (lifts a cam and small reel):

But if V2 turns out nice, I'll prolly do a separate thread for this gadget.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-19-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #20
spearq8

Pulling out the vacuum pump !!! That is hitting below the belt !!! I have some of that red and black and also blue and black and green and black ... just never got around to using it yet. It looks really nice !!! These days I am just too lazy and will just put a sleeve on if I want to CF something. Laying non sleeve CF needs to much CF skills which I do not have !!!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #21
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Haha, nope. Not for the handle. But now that you mention it... perhaps, after all, I should drape that other handle I have going in this weave. I've had it for a while, finally got it out of the closet and it does look pretty swank. Let's see how it looks tomorrow when it's cured.

Basically, it's just a very glorified camera mount. Thing is, I shoot pneumatics mostly and they need a little work to get neutral in the water as I like it. Add a cam and a reel and I start feeling the gun is too negative. So, the idea is to have a mount that adds just enough buoyancy to make up for the reel and cam. Also, I am making a carbon fiber sleeve sleeve which wraps around the barrel and holds both the cam mount and the reel.
This is V2. The first version is seen on top in this pic:

And here is the first version being "float tested" a while back (lifts a cam and small reel):

But if V2 turns out nice, I'll prolly do a separate thread for this gadget.
Oh ok, that will look real nice.... Will look even better if u go all matchy matchy😁...

Just got some red n black small id bands that will look sweet with that carbon...😀😀😀

Old 01-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #22
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Pulling out the vacuum pump !!! That is hitting below the belt !!! I have some of that red and black and also blue and black and green and black ... just never got around to using it yet. It looks really nice !!! These days I am just too lazy and will just put a sleeve on if I want to CF something. Laying non sleeve CF needs to much CF skills which I do not have !!!

Man, sometimes, I actually really love living in China. Well, the tinkerer in me certainly does as projects like these are easy and cheap to undertake. Spend a few days researching and then buying parts online locally - hook it up and be happy. The vacuum pump was one such project. Dirt cheap and it works so well. It even has an automated pressure switch on it, so I just set the vac I want and the pump kicks in if there is a leak and brings it back to the set vacuum. It also has a small reservoir and a check valve. Basically, it has everything the big systems have but since I never have to evacuate much air, I just made it as small as I could.

This time, I used this super cheap bag for the first time and incredibly, there was not a single leak, nothing. The bag is meant for packing down duvets, pillows, winter clothes, etc and locks like zip lock bags and it really works. If I start resin infusing parts, which I might, having a 100% tight vacuum is a must and I think this bag is the ticket.
I actually unhooked the bag later on and it held vacuum. It releases well, too. On the flip side it hardly has any give, so I guess pleating is even more important with this kind of bags, though.

You are right on it being a proper skill laying down cloth without it bridging and I messed up on this one. While the fiber laid down nicely (tacked in place with the 3M77 spray glue) I was sloppy when bagging it. I didn't pleat the bag at all and the part came out with creases. I suspect the bag pulled the laminate around because of the lack of pleats in the bag:-(. I think I have become lazy on this point as normally, I use a homemade silicone bag which doesn't need to be pleated because it is so crazy flexible.

One thing with this weave - it's a bitch to cut. The colored kevlar fibers just don't cut nor sand well. Had this been a 100% CF cloth, I would just sand it down fast and drop a better layer onto it. Now, the sanding takes forever. Not sure what I will do with this one. We will see.
But no matter what, I am pretty stoked about those bags!

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-27-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #23
kwtony
Snorkel Master

gotta use really really sharp knife or scissors to cut that stuff. Or else is frays up and never goes away. Thats why i dont use carbon kevlar barrels anymore. Its cool to say and a good selling point, but not fun to work with.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #24
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Got a few bits and bobs done on this today.

Finished the float setup. As simple as it gets - a foam filled lifeguard can from a previous project plus a spliced 8mm PP foam core float line. The loop on the float end of the rope is large enough that I can lead the rope through the hole at the front of the float and then pull it over the whole float and attach it that way. The other end has a large tuna clip on it. I actually tested the line itself and broke it at 280 kg, so all good for the reef;-). The line is 25m which is a tad long, but the spearo-to-be in question has no issue dropping to 50m and hanging for a few mins. So, she might end up spearing at the end of the float line soon enough.

This pic doesn't really show much but the 'guide rail holders' came back out to secure the barrel for drilling the transverse holes for the handle and muzzle securing pins. The holders look a bit beat up by now as I have to hammer in a big screw driver and open them just a tad so I don't scratch the barrel when I slide them on and off. Other than that, they work great.
Also, I could use the split in the holder as the center line for drilling.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-21-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #25
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
gotta use really really sharp knife or scissors to cut that stuff. Or else is frays up and never goes away. Thats why i dont use carbon kevlar barrels anymore. Its cool to say and a good selling point, but not fun to work with.
Yup, that's the trick. Or some expensive kevlar scissors. I have heard you can use normal cheapo ones, too. They basically just don't last long. At all.

Cutting it was OK, I used fresh Stanley blades. But since I messed up and it got creased in the bag, now I have to sand it down but it sands as bad as it cuts.

I have thought a handful of times today never to use this one again, haha. But I actually think it is cool enough. You just really can't mess up with it. But kevlar is not such a bad thing for us. It takes hits better than CF. Not that it matters for this part - it was just supposed to be bling
Old 01-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #26
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Bands - How Long?
Finally got the box of bands out of the fridge.
There's some 12.8mm small ID in there. This being for a girl, I'd say very fit and medium strong - how should I cut them? 320% to start with?

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-22-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #27
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Bahahaha, YOU DONE MESSED IT ALLLLLL UP, send it to me and ill fix it for you
Old 01-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #28
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Bahahaha, YOU DONE MESSED IT ALLLLLL UP, send it to me and ill fix it for you
Man, some day I gotta send you SOMETHING...! Chinese moon cake or some shit like that. They are smaller than a donut but weigh as much as a gun...

I have plenty of this cloth left. I have an upcoming trip in a week or two (should be a long one) and I don't actually need this thingy for that trip. But once I wanna look at it again, I'll just go crazy with the sander and do a second layer on top of this one. No biggie at all:-)
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #29
kwtony
Snorkel Master

just pack yourself up in a big crate and send yourself to EYW, ill pick you up from there. Just make it easy.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #30
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Made a stringer from some stainless steel rod I had lying around. Was too hard to drill, so I heated it up to proper orange and let it air cool. That should make hardened steels closer to the annealed state and softer (if I am not mistaken). And it did drill and shape better after that.

Rigged it with 2mm stainless wire and sleeved the wire in a PU hose. The steel wire is overkill but I went with steel over mono as she wont run into problems if she strings fish wrongly. I made that rookie mistake myself and almost lost two cudas when they bit through the stringer as I handed them back on the boat. My own fault for having strung them through the mouth, haha.
I'll make sure to tell her to not ever use this as a belt stringer (I truly believe you should be able to cut through those, despite the fact that you could also let go off the belt).
The PU hose is in case the wire frays a little. I know it will make it harder to inspect, but you can't have it all: